Pedal Tuner

Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
edited June 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
In effort to prevent tone-loss, could I run the extension-cab output from the amp into a pedal tuner (or any old tuner I guess)? And what about in-between the amp and extension cab? Meaning, would the tuner cause any serious problems in the connection or damage anything?

If that doesn't work, what's everyone's experience with pedal tuners? It seems Dan Auerbach uses a Boss TU-2, which is surprising since it doesn't have true bypass, but he seems like a guy who cares about tone. Planet Waves has one with true-bypass, or so they say, but it seems weird that it would be cheaper than, for example, the boss pedal. I read good things about a Peterson Strobostomp or something like that, but its too damn expensive, so don't bother saying its worth the price (hope that doesn't sound rude).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I don't think your idea would work... Just run it inline!

I run the Korg Pitchblack, mainly cause of its small size and big screen. Works beautifully.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    TU2 is awesome.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    TU-2 is okay, but Korg Pitchblack is better. For the same price, the Korg is more easy to read and is three times more accurate. Plus it's true-bypass (although the Boss is buffered, which helps if you've got a huge pedalboard).

As for wiring it to a speaker load... think of it this way. A normal guitar output is measured in milliwatts, or thousandths of a watt. Speaker output is at least several watts (depending on the size of your amp). I don't think that the tuner will work if it gets jolted with that much juice.

You could always borrow one from a friend and see if you notice any "tone-suck" from your rig.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Korg Pitchblack is a good one

TU3 is out now from boss.

The Turbo Tuner is a very popular strobe tuner but it's about 120 dollars. Still much cheaper than the Petersons anyway.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    You can drive a tank over the Boss. I've seen a dozen tu2s allworking perfectly. I've seen one Korg and the switch was broke.
    DewieCox wrote:
    You can drive a tank over the Boss. I've seen a dozen tu2s allworking perfectly. I've seen one Korg and the switch was broke.
    I've had my Korg for a couple years and it's still working fine. Granted, it's been on my pedalboard the entire time, but still...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    DewieCox wrote:
    I've had my Korg for a couple years and it's still working fine. Granted, it's been on my pedalboard the entire time, but still...

Yeah, they're good tuners, but they're never gonna be as durable as a Boss.

There's not an ear on the planet that can hear the difference of their respective in-tuneiness.
    Yeah I agree. Luckily, most of my pedals don't need to be durable, as the live in a pedal board/case. If I was banging it around, I'd go with the Boss.
  • Just got a TU-3 before my gig last friday. Love it! U may think its hard to get excited about a tuner, but having a pedal tuner is crcucial in playing live. I tried out the tc helicon polytuner as well.

The tc poly was cool but I just didn't like the screen. Mainly the look of it. It has polytune, and strobe tuning (I hate strobe tuning though and would never use that). The poly effect was great though.

I love the boss though and have no regrets. The tu-3 is true bypass (I believe) and performed great at the gig. I love the interface and screen. It has a cool led explosion like effect when u r in tune.

Recommended!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    TU3 or the Pitchblack are probably going to make 95% of all players extremely happy. It is tough to beat Boss for reliability and the TU3 does have some improvements over the TU2. I'm between the TU3 pitchblack and Turbo Tuner myself.

I grew up playing trombone/guitar and used my ear and peterson strobes quite a bit so I just like strobes for that reason because you can see the waves get to the proper pitch on a good unit.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.