2003 Ed vs 2010 ed

PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
edited June 2010 in The Porch
2003 Ed, if anyone noticed "sang" slot more than 2010 Ed. 2010 Ed, I feel, let the emotion take over. Anyone know what I'm talking about??
If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    PJ5a1 wrote:
    2003 Ed, if anyone noticed "sang" slot more than 2010 Ed. 2010 Ed, I feel, let the emotion take over. Anyone know what I'm talking about??

i get the feeling he's pissed then, and happy now. it's just a feeling of course. We'd have to ask Ed directly .
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    yeah he seems alot less angry these days. jokes around a little more. seems to be diggin life..and i must say i be diggin it too :mrgreen:
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• I like happy Ed, but I gotta say I miss pissed off Ed on some songs.
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    i like the 1988 ED .
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 973
    2003 Ed cut his hair and wore polos.
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    2010 Ed seems to spit before/after songs much more than before.
    jokertt wrote:
    i like the 1988 ED .

he didn't exist yet
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    Lol. I dig what everyone is saying. For example listen to black from 2003 and then listen to black from 2010 you'll see a change in style. 2010 sounds more like the 1998 Ed. So does the band as a whole.
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    IMO we really haven't seen an angry ed since...... 98?
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    rival. wrote:

Oh I don't know - listen to Nassau 03 Know Your Rights - that's pretty pissed off.

Or those covers Bleed for Me, and The American in Me in 04 VFC. He was pretty fired up.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    awilkins wrote:
    2010 Ed seems to spit before/after songs much more than before.
    From all that smoking!
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    JaneNY wrote:
    rival. wrote:

Oh I don't know - listen to Nassau 03 Know Your Rights - that's pretty pissed off.

Or those covers Bleed for Me, and The American in Me in 04 VFC. He was pretty fired up.

yeah, pissed because the crowd set him off. not pissed because, "i hate my life and the revolving world."
  • Laurelin77Laurelin77 Posts: 25
    This is actually something that has fascinated me for a few years now...not just the change in Ed (though it is very apparent), but the change in the band as a whole. I try my best not to read too much into it because, obviously, who am I to say? But, it would seem to me that a lot of it has to do with becoming comfortable with who they are, what they're about and what they're here to do. From what I've read (and you can't put too much stock into that, I know), a lot of the early anger came from being thrust into a world in which they didn't feel they belonged. They were fighting to keep from compromising themselves and their music to an industry that cared more for money and headlines than it did for the integrity of its talent. As the years have gone by, they have, essentially, carved their own niche by doing things their way, with little fear of the repercussions should they be refused. Instead of trying to keep fame by sacrificing their integrity, they readily risked losing it in order to uphold their own values and beliefs...and they were successful. There is much contentedness to be found in a life lived honorably.

2010 Ed is a shining example of this (as are 2010 Mike, Stone, Jeff and Matt). It is one of the reasons I am proud to have been a fan for nearly 20 years. I could not be prouder of these 5 individuals. They have 'grown up' to become the amazing people we all knew they could be...and they look to be happier for it.
  • Laurelin77 wrote:
    This is actually something that has fascinated me for a few years now...not just the change in Ed (though it is very apparent), but the change in the band as a whole. I try my best not to read too much into it because, obviously, who am I to say? But, it would seem to me that a lot of it has to do with becoming comfortable with who they are, what they're about and what they're here to do. From what I've read (and you can't put too much stock into that, I know), a lot of the early anger came from being thrust into a world in which they didn't feel they belonged. They were fighting to keep from compromising themselves and their music to an industry that cared more for money and headlines than it did for the integrity of its talent. As the years have gone by, they have, essentially, carved their own niche by doing things their way, with little fear of the repercussions should they be refused. Instead of trying to keep fame by sacrificing their integrity, they readily risked losing it in order to uphold their own values and beliefs...and they were successful. There is much contentedness to be found in a life lived honorably.

2010 Ed is a shining example of this (as are 2010 Mike, Stone, Jeff and Matt). It is one of the reasons I am proud to have been a fan for nearly 20 years. I could not be prouder of these 5 individuals. They have 'grown up' to become the amazing people we all knew they could be...and they look to be happier for it.

Very well said... And I couldn't agree more. (Great first post, by the way)
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    2010 Ed on vocals is the best since 2003 Ed....

2005 was still pretty good as well....
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    PJ and Ed wrote some really good angry music in the Bush era. Now they write good happy music and Ed passes the time throwing huge axes at trees wearing the clothes that made his music popular 20 years ago. He was never suited to polo shirts! I prefer 2010 Ed but Obama can take some of the credit for that. :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
    Laurelin77 wrote:

Great first post :D
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Didn't relise it was a "Competition"... :roll:
  • JY104961JY104961 Posts: 3
    Revisit the Showbox DVD and the Daughter Tag. That was classic angry Ed!

JaneNY wrote:
    rival. wrote:

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    2003 seemed to be their peak when it came to live shows. I've never been to an 03 show but everytime I watch LATG I really wish I did.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    1988 bad radio ed...well I prefer 92-94 Ed, but it is nice seeing him look what is satisfied with life now, wife and kids can do that to you I guess.

All the Ed's are cool, it has been a neat evolution to be a part of.