So what's the team supporting rules for int'l sports events?

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Is it all or none? Or do you believe you can share your love between 2 or even 3 countries?

With the World Cup around the corner, I find myself in this predicament every 4 years.
Here's the thing for me anyways, when it comes to hockey its obvious who I route for... but only our women qualify in soccer/football, so its always Japan and England when its world cup time. I've had some people tell me, I've gotta choose... But I just ride on the benefits of being a halfer. Everything goes fine as long as they're not up against each other (and until they get knocked out, of course)

And then the Baseball World Classic comes along and you just hope Canada doesn't get scheduled against Japan... Even though its usually straight up Japan for me in that tournament (i-chi-ro! i-chi-ro!)

So is it complete blasphemy?
I dno...
8-)
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A lot of people seem to have 'a back up team'

3 or 4 is just wierd :?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    sounds like this should be a topic of discussion here:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121118&hilit=+fraud
    www.myspace.com
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... lit=+fraud
    how dare HOW DARE
    you know my racial background... you know i'm morally torn.

and i NEVER put my own name on the back of my jersey (a pet peeve of mine for sure!!)
    tho i could do it on my Japan jersey and no one would know... 8-)
    haffajappa wrote:
    how dare HOW DARE

and i NEVER put my own name on the back of my jersey (a pet peeve of mine for sure!!)

hahaha....let me be clear, i am in now way insinuating that you are a fraud HALFFAJAPP!

i am merely trying to point you in a direction to a possible answer of your question...lots of good info in that thread :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    haffajappa wrote:
    how dare HOW DARE

hahaha....let me be clear, i am in now way insinuating that you are a fraud HALFFAJAPP!

i am merely trying to point you in a direction to a possible answer of your question...lots of good info in that thread :mrgreen:
    lol i know i actually love that thread
    its toooo true.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    nothin wrong with that halfa... I usually pick two teams (usually cos Ireland isn't in it) and stick with them. I've only really one this year cos I don't like football anymore... but I got Brazil in the work sweepstake :mrgreen: so I'll go for them. Other than that it's anyone but England :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    nothin wrong with that halfa... I usually pick two teams (usually cos Ireland isn't in it) and stick with them. I've only really one this year cos I don't like football anymore... but I got Brazil in the work sweepstake :mrgreen: so I'll go for them. Other than that it's anyone but England :D

:lol:

1. australia
    2. ireland/new zealand... depends whos in.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you root for your country. period. if you are bi country, then you can root for those two. anything beyond that is bandwagon at best, fraud at worst
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,038
    You are haffa are you not? Fuck em anyway , like who you like. Cheer for the ones close to your heart. nobody elses business!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    81 wrote:
    you root for your country. period. if you are bi country, then you can root for those two. anything beyond that is bandwagon at best, fraud at worst
    Yep.

As a mutt I get to root for the U.S.A, Thailand, Sweden, and Bavaria/Poland.

So I guess that means I root for the U.S.A. and next would be Das Germans.
    NERDS!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

1. australia
    is australia ever in anything :lol::lol::mrgreen:

i root for usa and ireland
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,418
    Heineken Helen - I hope your name isn't from that foul-tasting beer. :shock:

I root for USA & Italy. I'm of Abruzzese descent, and I've been to Italy 8 times. I'm rooting for them. Deal with it, whoever wants to post some list of sports-rooting rules. Oh yea - guess who's still defending World Cup Champs! The team is probably too old, but they know how to win.

I was very happy to see USA get that draw against Gli Azzurri in 2006. That was the only non-PK goal vs. Italia in the whole tourney.

Oh yeah, one more thing - the day after the win over France was clearly in my top 5 hangovers.

Forza Italia!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    81 wrote:
    Yep.

As a mutt I get to root for the U.S.A, Thailand, Sweden, and Bavaria/Poland.

So I guess that means I root for the U.S.A. and next would be Das Germans.
    What! Are those the rules?
    Well my chances are pretty good with Wales, Ireland, England, Scotland, Italy, and Japan!! :lol:;)
    haffajappa wrote:
    Well my chances are pretty good with Wales, Ireland, England, Scotland, Italy, and Japan!! :lol:;)
    Nah, you're still fucked :D

Johnny, nope, I was named after the ancient river Heineken that flows from mount Heineken in the Chinese Heineken province 8-) What the fuck do you think??? :roll:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    81 wrote:

correct. i believe it is also acceptable to root for the team of your ethnic decent.

so i will be rooting for usa...but if italy does well, i will be happy too.

so, in reality, metsfan is not a fraud for pulling for usa...and ireland. i think we have crossed into some kind parallel universe :o

these are the rules people. you must abide by them.
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,418
    haffajappa wrote:
    Nah, you're still fucked :D

Johnny, nope, I was named after the ancient river Heineken that flows from mount Heineken in the Chinese Heineken province 8-) What the fuck do you think??? :roll:

Cool - good to know!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

correct. i believe it is also acceptable to root for the team of your ethnic decent.

so, in reality, metsfan is not a fraud for pulling for usa...and ireland. i think we have crossed into some kind parallel universe :o

IF... and only if... you're a rule abiding kinda person 8-) If not, you must do whatever the fuck you believe is the thing to be done! :twisted:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

IF... and only if... you're a rule abiding kinda person 8-) If not, you must do whatever the fuck you believe is the thing to be done! :twisted:

point taken...however if you do not abide, you run the risk of being a sports fan fraud.
    www.myspace.com
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    metsfan wrote:

1. australia

anything that counts mets. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

so, in reality, metsfan is not a fraud

whoooaaaa....lets not get to far ahead of ourselves here. if you can't name the city in which your favorite teams stadium is located, you might be a fraud.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,972
    what is this "world cup" of which you speak?? :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

i think it's a sailing event.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    edited June 2010
    metsfan wrote:

Hey!!! Australia is awesome.

I support Australia all the way.

Usually, in the soccer world cup I have a soft spot for Germany cause my God-father is from there, but now Aust is versing them in the first game, fuck em. Plus my god-father is supporting Aust in that match.

Come on Aussie
    Post edited by pjfan31 on
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,972
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

in that case, I'm pulling for dennis conner!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    81 wrote:

so, in reality, metsfan is not a fraud

whoooaaaa....lets not get to far ahead of ourselves here. if you can't name the city in which your favorite teams stadium is located, you might be a fraud.

i am solely talking about world cup soccer here
    www.myspace.com
    imalive wrote:
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

in that case, I'm pulling for dennis conner!

dennis conner! wow that is old school
    www.myspace.com
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    support who you want at the World Cup if your own nation isnt in it.

I will be supporting Argentina as usual... and Spain also.

I also won't be supporting USA but that's nothing to do with their team, which is actually pretty good.. it's because of their countryman's reluctance to acknowledge football as the world's biggest sport... and also that the world cup is the worlds biggest sporting event and yet they claim not to have heard of it... :?

for shame. for shame. :oops: :oops:

;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    dunkman wrote:

I also won't be supporting USA but that's nothing to do with their team, which is actually pretty good.. it's because of their countryman's reluctance to acknowledge football as the world's biggest sport... and also that the world cup is the worlds biggest sporting event and yet they claim not to have heard of it... :?

;)

the biggest sporting event in the world is kicking Scotsmen in the shins while wearing iron shoes.
    btw, hey cock prick, did you & your family plant a tree this weekend?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    chadwick wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

;)

the biggest sporting event in the world is kicking Scotsmen in the shins while wearing iron shoes.
    btw, hey cock prick, did you & your family plant a tree this weekend?

I planted 14 trees on Saturday... then, as we were relaxing, we watched some hippies enter the forest near my place so I ended up assassinating 15 pine trees just so i could watch them cry their own faces clean.

as for the kicking me in the shins game.. i have to admit i'm quite in to it.. we don't wear padding unlike you americans over there... I watched a bit of the Superbowl last time... the last time I seen anything wearing that much padding was when i saw a hemophiliac elephant on its period.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.