SAVE THE VAMPIRE FROM INSIPID CULLENS!!!

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
YEAH FOR TIM BURTON.

http://www.fhm.com.au/burton-to-rescue- ... -genre.htm

Burton to rescue vampire genre?
By Jamie Watt

When Alice in Wonderland director Tim Burton announced his plans at Comic Con last year to helm an upcoming film adaptation of 1960s vampire TV show Dark Shadows, fans of the bloodsucker genre all over the globe breathed a collective sigh of relief.

For vampire enthusiasts fond of the many awesome and varied film, TV and literary depictions of the fanged miscreants of the night, the last few years have been a barren wasteland populated by zombie-esque teen girls, clinging desperately to copies of the various Twilight novels and moaning heatedly about the “beautiful Edward Cullen”. Thank Christ there’s a traditionally dark, gore-filled vampire flick on the horizon.

Twilight is giving vampires a bad name. There, we said it. The vampire myth is one of the most time-tested and beloved legends in pop culture history, and while we’ll allow for cool examples of experimentation with said myth (Blade was a human-vampire hybrid who waged war on his own kind, Daybreakers depicted a future where vampires were the majority and humans the minority), we won’t stand for the liberties Twilight has taken with it.

At no point were vampires intended to be used as a platform for sexually repressed religious drivel. No, they can’t walk around during the day and no, their skin doesn’t sparkle like a diamond when exposed to the sun. At least Twilight got the vampires’ traditional rivalry with werewolves right, but since when were all lycanthropes perennially shirtless goons who look like they just stepped out of an informercial for the Ab King Pro?

With the announcement of his upcoming project, Tim Burton has thrown bloodsucker fans a buoy to rescue them from this sea of vampire mediocrity. Dark Shadows was an eerily gothic vampire yarn and the unhinged Burton is just the man to bring it to the big screen. With mostly-successful collaborator Johnny Depp on board too, this could finally be the stake through Twilight’s heart we’ve been waiting for.

hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i'm a Lestat fan, but Ann Rice just writes too much guy on guy stuff, hard to read that shit
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Hmm, well, I'll give it a chance. I'm sure that whatever Burton comes out with will be a million times better than any of the Twilight-related movies/books.

To be honest, in regards to most Vampire related movies, I'd rather read about them than watch them on the screen. There is something much more intimate in having to use your imagination as opposed to having someone's interpretation of a story on the screen. Having said that, I really liked Let the Right One In. :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Hmm, well, I'll give it a chance. I'm sure that whatever Burton comes out with will be a million times better than any of the Twilight-related movies/books.

To be honest, in regards to most Vampire related movies, I'd rather read about them than watch them on the screen. There is something much more intimate in having to use your imagination as opposed to having someone's interpretation of a story on the screen. Having said that, I really liked Let the Right One In. :D

+1 that's a freaky little movie, there doing an american remake with Hitgirl from Kickass, well see.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Great movie. If there's got to be a movie about teen angst and vampires, that's the way to do it. :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i agree with you 5th.. my imagination is way better than anything hollywood could possibly come up with. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    i agree with you 5th.. my imagination is way better than anything hollywood could possibly come up with. 8-)

That's probably why I like LtROI, it's NOT a Hollywood production ;):D I wonder how Hollywood will package and sell that to NA audiences. Honestly, what makes it so effective is that it tells a story about isolation and loneliness via the location, the weather, as well as the type of existence of both the protagonists. If they are going to jump on the Twilight-related madness, they are probably gonna F that aspect up big-time.

There are other Vamp movies that I have enjoyed, such as the Underworld series, but usually I am terribly disappointed. After all these years, I still haven't sat all the way through Interview with a Vampire because I was so angry/disappointed with Cruise being cast as Lestat :oops: :?

What other Vamp movies/series do you guys recommend? I have Buffy, Angel and Supernatural (with some Vamp aspects) on DVD.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    I still haven't sat all the way through Interview with a Vampire because I was so angry/disappointed with Cruise being cast as Lestat

I was too, but now i've seen the movie so many times, i actually hear tom cruises voice when i reread the books. maybe your better off not watching it. :D Queen of the Damned movie was Horrible =Epic Fail!!!
    but had outstanding soundtrack.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,548
    Wish Tim Burton took a shot & made an live action film on Vampire Hunter D or Vampire Hunter D : Blood Lust. Or Christopher Moore's You Suck novel to film. Would love to see these on big screen.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Think it will be a good one.
    hat other Vamp movies/series do you guys recommend?

You'll have probably watched Trueblood, I really like that one, although without satellite tv I'm way behind on that one so am reading the books instead.

I also really like Being Human a series BBC3 have done, there's been 2 series so far and I'm hoping for more. Quite funny at times, but also sad at times too. Anyway it's about a vampire, werewolf and ghost sharing a house and trying to live in the 'normal' world. Worth a go.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Salem's Lot is the best vampire book ever written (with the exception of Dracula :lol: )
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403358/

NIght watch and its sequel Day watch is a great example of how a vampire (ish) movie can be done.

It's russian but there is a dubbed version on the dvd (of course subtitles are much better)
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    johnny depp too?!? christ burton... am i the only one that thinks this guy is a total hack for working with the same annoying actor in every movie?? it'd be one thing if they each pushed eachother in new directions and broke new ground... but theyre just rehashing the same dark, weird lil world in every movie

get a room you two

they're worse than twilight
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    KO282453 wrote:
    I still haven't sat all the way through Interview with a Vampire because I was so angry/disappointed with Cruise being cast as Lestat

I was too, but now i've seen the movie so many times, i actually hear tom cruises voice when i reread the books. maybe your better off not watching it. :D Queen of the Damned movie was Horrible =Epic Fail!!!
    but had outstanding soundtrack.

Queen of the Damned was atrocious, but Interview was funny in a lot of places - I thought Cruise did a decent job with the character, in terms of the irreverent and inappropriate humor that was part of Lestat's personality. Brad Pitt as Louis I hard a harder time with.

If anyone hasn't read the original Dracula, I highly recommend it.

But Burton, Dark Shadows, that sounds decent.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Queen of the Damned was atrocious,

I was gona say Atrocious, but i didn't know to spell it. :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkiW5boHKmk

just a small example of the awesomeness of the QueenOFTD soundtrack
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    i thought you were a big twilght fan, young catherine?
    www.myspace.com

once again jeags you thought wrong.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i Do have to give credit to the Twlight books in this way, for the 7 to 10 days i took my wife read the four of them, well lets just say, that was a good time for me, i didn't understand it and i didn't question it.
    Tahnk Your Stephanie Meyer's ;)
    KO282453 wrote:
    i Do have to give credit to the Twlight books in this way, for the 7 to 10 days i took my wife read the four of them, well lets just say, that was a good time for me, i didn't understand it and i didn't question it.
    Tahnk Your Stephanie Meyer's ;)

considering how sexless the books are i dont understand it either. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i think it's the build up. the Sookie books ARE even better books, god bless C.Harris i read the first one, just not my thing, i appericated it for the Historical part, my wife for the Sex, whatever works. :D
    yeah the sookie stackhouse series is better imo. a different audience. eric has really gotten to me and i dont usually go for blondes. even the vampire diaries are better than the twilight series and they have the same target audience.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    What other Vamp movies/series do you guys recommend? I have Buffy, Angel and Supernatural (with some Vamp aspects) on DVD.
    I like Near Dark: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093605/
    Off beat for a horror flick with a lot of humor thrown in. A group of white trash vampires traveling around the Midwest.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    I like Near Dark: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093605/
    Off beat for a horror flick with a lot of humor thrown in. A group of white trash vampires traveling around the Midwest.

Great now its 12:15 at night and i'm all into this movie, is Mae ,Paullette from Grease 2? i used to be in love w/that girl.
    thats not paulette, damn i would have bet.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    johnny depp too?!? christ burton... am i the only one that thinks this guy is a total hack for working with the same annoying actor in every movie?? it'd be one thing if they each pushed eachother in new directions and broke new ground... but theyre just rehashing the same dark, weird lil world in every movie

get a room you two

I'm sure Burton will cast Helena Bonham Carter as well.
    What the hell happened to him. Its been all downhill since his amazing cameo in "Singles".
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613

well then i stand corrected. i thought i remembered you and pam being excited about them at the other place.
    www.myspace.com
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    milarso wrote:
    Salem's Lot is the best vampire book ever written (with the exception of Dracula :lol: )

This.

And someone buy Tim Burton a beer for this. May he set the vampire genre back on course. Someone has to.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Poncier wrote:

get a room you two

I'm sure Burton will cast Helena Bonham Carter as well.
    What the hell happened to him. Its been all downhill since his amazing cameo in "Singles".

Just found this today- 10 Director/Actor Pairings Who Need a Break
    http://thefilmstage.com/2010/05/14/10-directoractor-pairings-who-need-a-break/

No. 10 Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton
    Helena Bonham Carter, believe it or not, used to be a distinguished actress who was nominated for an Oscar for her performance in The Wings Of A Dove. Since with Burton, however, she only seems to find work in his films slumming around in creepy makeup. Apart from some appearances in the Harry Potter series, the actress hasn’t made a notable splash outside the Burtonverse since 1999’s Fight Club and it seems like there is no slowing down this husband/wife movie making duo. Burton has three projects slated for production that will likely feature the quirky actress.

No. 1 Johnny Depp and Tim Burton
    It’s hard to argue with success (their most recent film, Alice in Wonderland, has garnered their highest box office) but Tim Burton’s reliance on Depp has reached a level of near parody. Their collaborative efforts have become more and more predictable and the once exciting duo has been reduced to a bland mix of dayglow hot topic merchandise. Their last truly great film together was Ed Wood in 1994 and found both at their career best. It is possible for them to reclaim this glory but Burton is going to need to cast Depp more appropriately instead of dressing him up in garish make up and wigs and letting him run on autopilot.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."

well then i stand corrected. i thought i remembered you and pam being excited about them at the other place.

as i said. ;)8-)

though i have to admit i found the scenery very thrilling and the best thing about the films so far. michael sheen as aro deserves a mention too.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say