Anyone putting in a vegetable garden?

JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
We always start the summer full of hope! We've put in: tomatoes (and hope we don't get blight this year - killed many peoples' tomatoes last year), bell peppers, cayenne peppers, jalapeno peppers, lettuce, radishes, cucumbers (eating and pickling), zucchini, yellow squash, and I still have collard green plants to put in, and cauliflower. Oh, also bush beans. And herbs - coriander, dill, mint, sage, thyme, parsley. Now we need to keep up with the weeds in June and keep up (hopefully) with the vegetables come August and September.
R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    I've already had radishes and in about 1 or 2 weeks I'll have peppers (hot and sweet banana)... maybe a tomato in 2 weeks. Peas didn't work too well for some reason. Beans, lettuce, spinach and parsnips all lookin good. Corn kinda got trampled by the roomates doog but I have maybe 10 plants left.

I put lime on in the spring and fertilized it 3 times. It really took off! My garden is gonna be done by July 4th. Guess I'll put in some pumpkins and squash!
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Got all my tomato plants set up yesterday! Can't wait. We had tons of them last year.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • I tried but the wheelchairs were very hard to plant and they kept rusting
    when it rained.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I have a hard enough time keeping my flowers alive. I may do fruit and veggies next year.
    I'll be back
  • in_the_mudin_the_mud Posts: 494
    Our garden is growing really pretty. Just hope it'll be better than last year. I am sure it will.
    Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, lettuce, peas, beans, herbs, strawberries and list go on and on and on... :)
    A lot of work though, but having a veggie garden it's one of the best thing.
    Warsaw 96/11/01 ; Katowice 00/06/15, Katowice 00/06/16 ; Chicago 03/06/18 ; Chicago 06/05/16 ; Chicago 06/05/17 ; Chicago 07/08/05 ; Boston 08/06/30 ; Philadelphia 09/10/27 ; New York 10/05/20 ; New York 10/05/21 ; Alpine Valley 11/09/03 ; Alpine Valley 11/09/04 ; Wrigley Field 13/07/19 ; Pittsburgh 13/10/11 ; St.Louis 14/10/03
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    YES!
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=95258
    love gardening, and especially love growing fresh veggies.
    we actually already had 3! strawberries! :lol:

and, this is what we planted this year:

herbs -
    2 varieties basil
    3 cilantro
    1 oregano
    1 mint - in addition to what came back from last year
    1 rosemary
    1 italian parsley
    (lemon balm and lavender all came back, along with strawberries - yay!)

veggies -
    6 roma tomatoes
    2 cucumbers
    1 zucchini
    2 varieties eggplant
    1 sweet frying pepper
    1 jalapeno
    1 habanero
    1 mariachi pepper
    1 thai hot pepper
    1 sweet pea
    1 yellow squash
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I tried but the wheelchairs were very hard to plant and they kept rusting
    when it rained.
    I'll probably go to hell for laughing at this, but I'm going to anyway...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    I've already had radishes and in about 1 or 2 weeks I'll have peppers (hot and sweet banana)... maybe a tomato in 2 weeks. Peas didn't work too well for some reason. Beans, lettuce, spinach and parsnips all lookin good. Corn kinda got trampled by the roomates doog but I have maybe 10 plants left.

I put lime on in the spring and fertilized it 3 times. It really took off! My garden is gonna be done by July 4th. Guess I'll put in some pumpkins and squash!

stuff those peppers with some good italian sausage
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Sorry! I guess I missed that thread since I've been living on the Porch during tour madness :oops: :lol: Looks like there's a lot of good discussion there.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    not really....but kind of. i bought my wife one of those strawberry topsy turvy things when we moved into our new townhouse b/c she missed having a garden. it seems to be be working quite well----we have basil, mint, cilantro, roma tomatoes and rosemary all growing out of this hideous looking thing hanging on our patio. ;)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited June 2010
    I've never had a vegetable garden. I have had tomato plants and mint plants, but generally I focus on my flowers, lawns, bushes and trees. :?

Do you have any fruit trees? I've been thinking I'd like an orange tree and an avocado tree. :geek:
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I put in tomatoes (regular and roma), lettuce (leaf and romain), carrots, onions (yellow and red), bell peppers (yellow, red and green), jalapenos, cucumber and green beans.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."