How to replace strings on a strat?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited June 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok I've never done it before, always ask a friend to do it for me.
I always break the small E string.
Kind of sucks with 5 strings.
Any site that shows you step by step pics?
Thanks.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Does your Strat have a locking tremolo or is it the standard string-through-the-body design?
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    Youtube has everything
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    if you're constantly breaking the string, switch to a lighter guage guitar pick.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    if you're constantly breaking the string, switch to a lighter guage guitar pick.

No...different picks sound/feel different. Get to the root of the problem....
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    i have a couple of strats with the standard floating bridges. correct or not this is how i change the strings....

since there is a tremolo on there the bridge floats. i try to keep as much tension on the bridge to keep it in the regular position so the springs don't pull it back.... i have screwed my strats up enough times that i do not remove all 6 strings at once...i change the strings one at a time starting with the d or g string because that keeps the same tension on the top and bottom edges of the tremolo. i usually go d-g-a-b-low e-high e.....if i break a string i put a replacement on there very quickly and when i get home from the show i change all 6 of them.

to change the strings simply thread the new string through the corresponding hole on the back of the guitar and thread it through the hole on the tuning machine and twist. i use a battery powered screwdriver with a specific stringwinder attachment. be careful with using one of those, especially on the b and high e strings since they are so thin it is easy to snap them.

i realize that i did not provide a lot of clear details, but that is how i do it. i hope that helps. i would check youtube for videos of how to do it.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    i have a couple of strats with the standard floating bridges. correct or not this is how i change the strings....

since there is a tremolo on there the bridge floats. i try to keep as much tension on the bridge to keep it in the regular position so the springs don't pull it back.... i have screwed my strats up enough times that i do not remove all 6 strings at once...i change the strings one at a time starting with the d or g string because that keeps the same tension on the top and bottom edges of the tremolo. i usually go d-g-a-b-low e-high e.....if i break a string i put a replacement on there very quickly and when i get home from the show i change all 6 of them.

to change the strings simply thread the new string through the corresponding hole on the back of the guitar and thread it through the hole on the tuning machine and twist. i use a battery powered screwdriver with a specific stringwinder attachment. be careful with using one of those, especially on the b and high e strings since they are so thin it is easy to snap them.

I never thought about doing it that way, its a good idea.
    i realize that i did not provide a lot of clear details, but that is how i do it. i hope that helps. i would check youtube for videos of how to do it.

Thats a good idea!
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I agree with the direction to go to YouTube... the only hard part, really, is getting the string in the tuning head correctly. There are a few different methods to doing this, so it may take trying a few different people's methods to find the one you want to use.

As for why you keep breaking strings...

One thing worth looking at, or having a pro guitar tech look at, is the spot(s) where the strings are breaking. If the string ALWAYS breaks at the same spot (around the nut, at the bridge, etc) then there may be something wrong with that part of the guitar. Make sure there isn't a sharp spot or burr that could make the string break more easily.

Beyond that, it could just be the way you play. Assuming you don't do crazy-huge bends and stuff, it's probably the way you strum. As you learn better strumming technique, that will improve. A lighter pick is a cheater's way of working around the problem; it helps now, but doesn't train your hands to fix the problem.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Every time the string has snapped is when I tune down, weird.
    I just turn the knob slightly and it snaps.

Thanks for all the tips.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Does your Strat have a locking tremolo or is it the standard string-through-the-body design?

String through the body.
    Pay attention to where the string is breaking; that is, the place on the guitar where the actual break in the string is occurring. If it breaks in the same spot each time, then it's more likely something on the guitar itself that's causing the break.
    Thanks dude.

I've watched some Youtube video's and it doesn't seem to hard.

Just a question....

Do I remove all strings at once and restring one at a time

Or

Remove one string at a time then replace and keep going

What's the best order so that you don't mess up the tension.
    Thanks dude.

I've watched some Youtube video's and it doesn't seem to hard.

Just a question....

Do I remove all strings at once and restring one at a time

Or

Remove one string at a time then replace and keep going

What's the best order so that you don't mess up the tension.

It really isn't too hard, but the first few times you will feel slightly retarded. Don't worry, even if the string doesn't look nice when it winds up, it will still play okay. And the worst thing you can do is break a $2 string. Some music stores will even sell you single strings, so you might see if you can buy a few high-E strings if that's the one you break regularly.

As to the question you ask, there are competing views on this issue. I was told years ago to replace strings one at a time to keep tension on the neck. Then, several guitar techs and luthiers (most of whom I trust and respect greatly) have told me that it's not at all necessary, and most pro guitar techs will remove all strings at once, and then re-string. I can tell you that it's much easier to re-string from scratch, but I tend to do one string at a time still. If nothing else, it's easier to get the string in the neighborhood of the right note if I can tune it relative to the other strings I didn't take off.

Finally, my two tips:

1) Get the proper tools, a string winder and a pair of wire clippers to snip the excess string length (I use needlenose pliers with wire snips built in, because needlenose pliers are good to have around for guitar purposes). You might also get a cheap toothbrush that you can use to clean the fretboard when you have the strings off.

2) String from the low-E up to the high-E. Be sure to give yourself enough of the string to give it at least a couple full winds around the tuning head; I like about an inch and a half, or 3-4 cm. This will add tuning stability, as well as the ability to use alternate tunings. But try to not get too many winds; 3 to 5 winds is good.

Don't worry, everyone has their first attempt at changing strings. Once you've done it a few times, it's really easy.
    Thanks heaps ;)

When my friend last replaced my strings on my old guitar I wiped down the fret board with a damp cloth to remove the grime.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    I read somewhere that if you take off all strings at once and string high to low everytime over the years you can actually warp the neck?
    As such i sting bottom e, top e, and work my way to the middle?

Any truth to that?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Fender's tutorial site off off http://www.fender.com is Mr. Gearhead.

They have detailed step by instructions for whatever factory setup you have.

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocas ... _guide.php there you are guvnor.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Thanks!
    Will refer to this when I get my new strings :D
    "Make sure to stretch your strings properly. After you've installed and tuned a new set, hold the strings at the first fret and hook your fingers under each string, one at a time, and tug lightly, moving your hand from the bridge to the neck. Re-tune and repeat several times."

Is this necessary?
    Any video on this?
    "Make sure to stretch your strings properly. After you've installed and tuned a new set, hold the strings at the first fret and hook your fingers under each string, one at a time, and tug lightly, moving your hand from the bridge to the neck. Re-tune and repeat several times."

Is this necessary?
    Any video on this?

Is this the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPto7BcWsY
    And is this how you would do the bend and lock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae7HsWFRdYY&NR=1
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I'd recommend doin the stretching at the 5,3 and 2 frets...1x stretch and tune at each spot. That's what I do to get the least amount of tuning drift before everything settles in nicely.