New drummer, some questions

DirectionOfTheEyeDirectionOfTheEye Posts: 40
edited June 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for some time and just started drumming. It's come fairly well with the other experience I have, but I had a few questions. First off, sometimes if I hit the cymbols on a certain angle, it marks them. Does that matter? I mean I dont care about the marks but will it damage the sound at all? I believe your not suppose hit into a cymbal, so it would hit like a cross if you know what I mean, is that right? Are you only supposed to hit it on the top or can you hit it between those two? Also, I don't know much about tuning. I like the toms to sound low. Is that something I can tune it to do or is it something that depends on the type of kit? Also, is there a way I can get my base drum to sound deeper? Lastly, the sticks seem to get pretty dented. I figured they would but I read that may mean your hitting things wrong. Thanks for any feedback.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The marks sound unusual, unless they're relatively light. Are you using nylon tipped sticks or wood? I use nylon tipped, and they sometimes leave a light mark. Is it just from tips, or is it from the whole stick, or is it something different? I used to angle my cymbals so they would be a bit more "swiped", but now two of my crashes are fairly parallel to the ground. I've cracked practically every cymbal I've had, so I'm not sure any advice I give is best.

You can tune a little higher or lower, but it has to do with tension of both heads, and width of the drums too. I have a smaller tom as the first of them and I tried to tune it lower, and the lower it is, the deader it sounds. Tuning is something I find very difficult. YouTube has a number of tuning lessons, and they conflict with each other, so best of luck figuring it out!

For your bass drum, try loosening all the screws, then finger-tightening them all without tools. Try hitting the kick, and you can slowly make tighter if it needs it. You'll want to turn the screws only 1/8 around at a time, and tune screws across from each other until you make a circle, instead of going around in a regular circle.

It's ok for sticks to get dented. You could use Japanese Oak and they are less fragile, but I believe that will also make your cymbals more likely to crack. The little bit of "give" that your sticks have might save your cymbals.

I've been playing guitar for some time and just started drumming. It's come fairly well with the other experience I have, but I had a few questions. First off, sometimes if I hit the cymbols on a certain angle, it marks them. Does that matter? I mean I dont care about the marks but will it damage the sound at all? I believe your not suppose hit into a cymbal, so it would hit like a cross if you know what I mean, is that right? Are you only supposed to hit it on the top or can you hit it between those two? Also, I don't know much about tuning. I like the toms to sound low. Is that something I can tune it to do or is it something that depends on the type of kit? Also, is there a way I can get my base drum to sound deeper? Lastly, the sticks seem to get pretty dented. I figured they would but I read that may mean your hitting things wrong. Thanks for any feedback.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10