Why I Love Pearl Jam Fans (or, A Rather Long Thank You Note)

hip_n_jamhip_n_jam Posts: 220
edited June 2010 in The Porch
I've been meaning to write this for a few weeks now, but I was waiting to hear from the gentleman mentioned below. I haven't yet, so Anthony, if you're reading this (and Paige...I think it was) - THANK YOU.

I ended up with an extra ticket for the May 17 Boston show because most of my friends don't really get my fanaticism with this band. It was a 10C ticket, so you have to assume it's gonna be a good seat. Most of my friends don't know about that little perk either. Anyway, since I had the extra ticket, I posted it on the board. (Face value only, of course. :) ) Why let it go to waste when it can go to a true fan? I was almost immediately contacted by Sandi (aka mauichick here) and the ticket was hers.

Now I don't know about you, but I've never actually met someone from the board before. I know it happens, but it had never happened to me. I'm sure I've sat next to some of you at a show, but I was finally able to put a face to a name. And she happened to be pretty cool too. :)

So Sandi and I are sitting in our seats (a bit early, cause I had to hit the merch table to grab a poster) just chatting and taking it all in. I must say, even in a venue as popular as Boston, with an average 10C number, 10C really came through again - my seats were excellent.

As I have my mouth full of dinner, this couple (who turn out to be Anthony and Paige) comes up to us, and asks us if we want to trade seats.

So Sandi and I kinda look at each other and then back to them and start to ask the usual questions: why? who are you? why? where are your seats? are we on some kind of hidden camera show? why again?

So as it turns out Anthony and Paige are offering up their FRONT ROW SEATS. Yeah, we couldn't believe it either, hence the number of times we asked why and the bit about some hidden camera. Anthony told us that he won the seats in the 10C lottery but Paige was a little nervous about being so close. So of course, being the helpful folks that we are, Sandi and decide to swap seats.

So Sandi and I made our way down to the floor and up to the front and basically right in front of Jeff. I must say, never having been that close before (I think 5th row was about as close as I had been) it was A W E S O M E. I think it took a little while for it to sink in with both Sandi and I...but not too long that we couldn't enjoy an amazing show.

Anthony's one request was that if I got a guitar pick from Mike that I give it to him. I told him that for front row seats, if I got anything, it was his. Sure enough, I ended up with a number of picks from Mike and a pick and wristband from Jeff. So Anthony went home with Jeff's sweaty wristband, I got to keep Jeff's pick and a couple from Mike.

And yes, it sounds cheesey, but I think it's safe to say that we all left with some great memories and a story to tell for a long time.

So Anthony and Paige, thank you again. From Sandi and Chris. We had an amazing time time.

(Some of you may have already heard a bit of this, cause as we were walking out, we told our story to The Rob from PJ Radio and he put it on the next day.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cc276784cc276784 Posts: 3
    That is a great story. Pearl Jam fans are really one of the greatest group of people.Glad you followed through on getting him the wrist band and picks! I guess it was the least you could do. Hopefully you bought them a few beers as they went to there seats :D !! Great story and thanks for sharing!
    www.chriscordonephotography.com
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    this is awesome !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    It was an AWESOME experience and i'm still on a high from it...only this band would have fans soo cool
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • theeagle78theeagle78 Posts: 54
    i was front row right in front of Mike! I probably saw you!
  • hip_n_jamhip_n_jam Posts: 220
    @cc - You know what, the beer was an idea that didn't even cross my mind. Not sure why. But I hope I did my bit for karma by helping him out with the picks and wristband.

@bath - Hey, long time! How are ya?

@eagle - more than likely - pretty surreal experience and I don't remember much - gotta get the boot!
  • Bump.... This is a GREAT story! This show will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart(and be tought to top!) because of the band dedicating "SMILE" to my friend Jenn! My emotional connection with this show will be like no other! I'm so happy you guys got to experience it front row!!!! That's fantastic! Cheers everyone!!

-Jim
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    Bump.... This is a GREAT story! This show will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart(and be tought to top!) because of the band dedicating "SMILE" to my friend Jenn! My emotional connection with this show will be like no other! I'm so happy you guys got to experience it front row!!!! That's fantastic! Cheers everyone!!

-Jim

Thank you! That's really sweet, soo did not feel worthy but soooo happy it happened

I read yr post beforehand and was super happy they played it for her

CHEERS BACK!
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • That's so great! thank you for sharing it. It's nice to know there's still some real cool people out there. Cheers to all the 10C members & PJ fans in general 8-)
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...