John Wooden has died

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
:cry: damn

UCLA's famed coach John Wooden dies at age 99
June 4, 2010 | 7:14 pm

Legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden, whose teams won seven consecutive NCAA championships and had a record winning streak of 88 games, died Friday. He was 99.

Known as the "Wizard of Westwood," Wooden coached for 27 years at UCLA before retiring after winning his 10th NCAA title in 1975. His Bruin teams had a record 620 wins and 147 losses.

Wooden, known for his colorful statements, once said: "Talent is God given; be humble. Fame is man given; be thankful. Conceit is self given; be careful."

--Robert J. Lopez

WESTWOOD (CBS) ― Legendary Bruins basketball coach John Wooden is reportedly in grave condition at UCLA Medical Center.

It's understood that he hasn't eaten in the last couple days and is very ill.

Wooden is 99 years old and coached at UCLA from 1948–75 where he won 10 National Championships.

http://cbs2.com/sports/John.Wooden.hosp ... 31553.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    norm wrote:
    :( damn

WESTWOOD (CBS) ― Legendary Bruins basketball coach John Wooden is reportedly in grave condition at UCLA Medical Center.

It's understood that he hasn't eaten in the last couple days and is very ill.

Wooden is 99 years old and coached at UCLA from 1948–75 where he won 10 National Championships.

http://cbs2.com/sports/John.Wooden.hosp ... 31553.html

How sad!

Hard to believe its been 35 years since he retired!
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    edited June 2010
    99??!!! Holy Tamole!

RIP Coach.

We need more good men like him.
    Post edited by Lizard on
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Oh no. I love him so much - he's one of those people you want to live forever.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    Hoping for the best for the Wizard, but at 99, can't complain too much.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Very sad. I grew up with Pac-10 basketball stories since my dad graduated from Oregon while Wooden was at UCLA
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :cry:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I just started reading his autobiography last week...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Mr. Wooden led my Alma Mater to it's first national championship . . . in 1932! :shock:

For what it counts, my prayers will be with him.
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    one of the classiest people on the planet....a saint really
    This was from 10 years ago- I still try to read it from time to time.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2000/03/14/life_of_reilly/
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    :cry:

UCLA's famed coach John Wooden dies at age 99
    June 4, 2010 | 7:14 pm

Legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden, whose teams won seven consecutive NCAA championships and had a record winning streak of 88 games, died Friday. He was 99.

Known as the "Wizard of Westwood," Wooden coached for 27 years at UCLA before retiring after winning his 10th NCAA title in 1975. His Bruin teams had a record 620 wins and 147 losses.

Wooden, known for his colorful statements, once said: "Talent is God given; be humble. Fame is man given; be thankful. Conceit is self given; be careful."

--Robert J. Lopez
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm glad you posted this, Norm.

Wooden's one of those guys - I wish I'd shaken his hand. You know?
    Enkidu wrote:
    I'm glad you posted this, Norm.

Wooden's one of those guys - I wish I'd shaken his hand. You know?

totally...i would have loved to meet him
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    I remember frequently seeing Coach Wooden on TV many years after his retirement, always taking in a UCLA basketball game. And I always remember seeing the camera on him as some fan(s) would walk to him and ask him for an autograph. It was so special seeing him sign for everyone that came to his seat. He was a special person, and the true meaning of a great man
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    milarso wrote:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2000/03/14/life_of_reilly/

Hell, that is a touching article.

Wooden will always rank right up there with Chick Hearn and Vin Scully as the great non-athlete icons in the history of Los Angeles sports. He will be dearly missed.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    its actually not too sad. Its a long life of great accomplishment... all while being the best person he could be. He will forever be an icon for all of collegiate sports and some of his feats will never be approached.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    its actually not too sad. Its a long life of great accomplishment... all while being the best person he could be. He will forever be an icon for all of collegiate sports and some of his feats will never be approached.

I don't think it is at all sad for him. It's much more sad for us, who have to lose a guy like Wooden. There aren't many like him left.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    No coach will ever come close to Coach Wooden's accomplishments.

Most of his players have been successful in their lives, and they attribute this to the life lessons from the coach.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Damn shame, hell of a life though. Great man
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    This man was all that was good in college athletics

what a wonderful man he was

go join your wife finally JW, you deserve it
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/po ... ove-letter

this sums the man up, be ready to cry

Boiler Up
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    milarso wrote:

Wooden will always rank right up there with Chick Hearn and Vin Scully as the great non-athlete icons in the history of Los Angeles sports. He will be dearly missed.

Puh-leaze....Those guys aren't in the same category. Wooden is a basketball and coaching god. Those guys are great at what they did, but nowhere near Wooden's plain.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    RIP Coach.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • cfbd68cfbd68 Posts: 228
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    No coach will ever come close to Coach Wooden's accomplishments.

Most of his players have been successful in their lives, and they attribute this to the life lessons from the coach.
    Sweet Lew ? You did say most ;) .

RIP John. Way to LIVE your Life!
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder, to find an approach and a way to live
    Constant Recoil..Sometimes life, Don't leave you alone
    When the anxious is the present, unwrap your gifts, take your time
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    "You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you".
    John Wooden

great coach , great person
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    What an amazing man. What an amazing life. He was the greatest.

RIP Wizard of Westwood
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    DewieCox wrote:
    milarso wrote:

Puh-leaze....Those guys aren't in the same category. Wooden is a basketball and coaching god. Those guys are great at what they did, but nowhere near Wooden's plain.

I agree with you, man. Not trying to compare Wooden's coaching achievements to Hearn's or Scully's at all.

I guess I should have made my point clearer, which was that, in terms of the reverence of L.A. fans, Wooden is on the same plane with Hearn and Scully. Wooden is beloved here, and so was Chick and so is Vin. You may remember that Chick Hearn's funeral was televised live on multiple t.v. stations here. How often do you see that for an athlete, much less an announcer? I would guess that the same thing will happen for Wooden. Chick also has a statue outside Staples Center; again, I'm guessing Wooden will soon be given one, too, as will Scully (one day) outside Dodger Stadium.

Hell, Chick was just named the 7th greatest Laker of all-time by LA Times fan voting, ahead of guys like Wilt Chamberlain and Shaquille O'Neal. And he never played a second of basketball for them.

Anyway, that doesn't detract from Wooden's greatness or popularity at all, because all three men are at the top of the top when it comes to the amount of love given by fans here. He will be greatly missed.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."

"Never mistake activity for achievement."

"Adversity is the state in which man mostly easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

"Be prepared and be honest."

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

"You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."

"What you are as a person is far more important that what you are as a basketball player."

"Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character."

"A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment."

"I'd rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and a little talent."

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."

"It isn't what you do, but how you do it."

"Ability is a poor man's wealth."

"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."

"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights."

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability."

"It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen."

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful."

"The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team."

"Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."

"Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts."
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    THe best teacher and coach ever for college basketball. A man of few words but when he said something it was always of great importance and many listened.

Peace may you always rest in it.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)