Vegas Vacation!

PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm going to Vegas in August (I know, hot as hell) with some friends that I grew up with; an all out "dudes trip". We already have rooms booked at Planet Hollywood for 4 nights and have been trying to figure out what to do when we get there! Other than our general plan of gambling and getting shit faced, are there any shows, bars, places to eat that just cannot be missed? I've been there a couple times and have seen pretty much all of the free attractions (pirate ship, freemont show, etc.). I rode almost every roller coaster on the strip , but haven't seen any of the magic shows or been to any of the clubs...
Any advice or tips will be much appreciated!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    don't buy ecstasy from doug
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    You should ride the roller coaster at NY, NY...a rough ride, but fun as shit....I advise you to do this BEFORE you start getting sloshed.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    dcfaithful wrote:
    You should ride the roller coaster at NY, NY...a rough ride, but fun as shit....I advise you to do this BEFORE you start getting sloshed.

Found that out the hard way last time after buying extacy from doug... :shock: (j/k) It was a fun ride though!
    PJPOWER wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Found that out the hard way last time after buying extacy from doug... :shock: (j/k) It was a fun ride though!

Indeed it was fun...but for a minute I thought I was going to fall out and die on impact to the concrete...not exactly the way I'd choose to die in Vegas....
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    norm wrote:
    black doug?
  • Just got back, make sure you hit the minus 5 ice bar and make quick friends with the bar tenders. Its between the Luxor and Mandalay Bay.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    PJPOWER wrote:
    I'm going to Vegas in August (I know, hot as hell) with some friends that I grew up with; an all out "dudes trip". We already have rooms booked at Planet Hollywood for 4 nights and have been trying to figure out what to do when we get there! Other than our general plan of gambling and getting shit faced, are there any shows, bars, places to eat that just cannot be missed? I've been there a couple times and have seen pretty much all of the free attractions (pirate ship, freemont show, etc.). I rode almost every roller coaster on the strip , but haven't seen any of the magic shows or been to any of the clubs...

Ix-nay on all the tacky shit. Gamble at O'Shea's. They have beer pong in the back. Poolside is where you should be during the day. First, hit the breakfast buffets. Then consume mass quantities of booze poolside. If you're there on a Sunday, go to the Hard Rock mad early and get into Rehab. If you got the money get a cabana. It's a huge douche fest. But the female scenery is ridiculous. And my final tip is two words - SPEARMINT RHINO.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Nine Fine Irishmen after 11pm on Friday or Sat.
    Batista's.
    if your a sports/nightclub guy, 40/40 club at the Palazzo.
    Red Rock Canyon to get away from all the bullshit and Neon.
    When you've lost all your money and need a cheap,dirty hole in the wall, Laughing Jackalope across from Mandalay Bay.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    Have a good time Mr. Papagiorgio.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    haha....and I was going to say I love the part where Clark makes a stealth run for the ATM, and the cash starts spewing out to the sounds of hendix' all along the watchtower... :lol:

Have fun in vegas, tough to really go wrong..
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    PJPOWER wrote:

Damn dude, 4 nights??? That's goin to be quite a bender for ya. Last "dudes trip", we did 3 nights and I was a completel fucking mess. Like someone else mentioned, you should definitely hit up o'sheas. Play some beer pong The beer is really cheap and they have a burger king. What else can you ask for??

I'm not into the whole club thing when I'm out there, but the scenery at those places is always a plus. My favorite spot out there is the piano bar at NY, NY. Every time I've been there, I've had a fucking blast. It's pretty much an all night, drunken sing along.
    PJPOWER wrote:

Damn dude, 4 nights??? That's goin to be quite a bender for ya. Last "dudes trip", we did 3 nights and I was a completel fucking mess. Like someone else mentioned, you should definitely hit up o'sheas. Play some beer pong The beer is really cheap and they have a burger king. What else can you ask for??

I'm not into the whole club thing when I'm out there, but the scenery at those places is always a plus. My favorite spot out there is the piano bar at NY, NY. Every time I've been there, I've had a fucking blast. It's pretty much an all night, drunken sing along.

Sounds like the Tavernacle here in Salt Lake. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    PJPOWER wrote:

Damn dude, 4 nights??? That's goin to be quite a bender for ya.

Yeah, 4 is one too many. Three is perfect - just close enough without going over the edge. Good luck, man.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Also - The giant drop/free-fall at the Stratosphere is all kinds of fun!

I did it a couple weeks back. Basically the strap you in and hook you up to these cables and then let you jump off the 108th story of the Stratosphere tower.

It's pretty much a blast! You fall all the way down to the street and they slow you down at the bottom.

It's $100 but totally worth it!
    Tip: Book it well in advance, or go at night to try to get in on cancellations. There is a long list, but if someone cancels, you're in!

Also, I'd recommend old Vegas. Better gambling, less BS.

On your "off night"...if you have one, I'd try to find a decent poker room. $1-2 sit and go tables are open all over the place. Sit there, drink all night for free and kick some tourist ass!

I took in $500 one night. Because they wait for full or near-full tables. You can seriously sit there and play all night. Get caught on a bluff or two early, then sit there and wait for a big hand. Free booze and easy money...can't beat it!
    mca47 wrote:
    Also - The giant drop/free-fall at the Stratosphere is all kinds of fun!

I did it a couple weeks back. Basically the strap you in and hook you up to these cables and then let you jump off the 108th story of the Stratosphere tower.

It's pretty much a blast! You fall all the way down to the street and they slow you down at the bottom.

It's $100 but totally worth it!
    Tip: Book it well in advance, or go at night to try to get in on cancellations. There is a long list, but if someone cancels, you're in!

Also, I'd recommend old Vegas. Better gambling, less BS.

On your "off night"...if you have one, I'd try to find a decent poker room. $1-2 sit and go tables are open all over the place. Sit there, drink all night for free and kick some tourist ass!

I took in $500 one night. Because they wait for full or near-full tables. You can seriously sit there and play all night. Get caught on a bluff or two early, then sit there and wait for a big hand. Free booze and easy money...can't beat it!
    I rode the ride on the Stratosphere that shoots you straight up last time I was there and it was pretty cool, not to mention gave a pretty kick-ass view of the city! I really want to try the freefall, being that I'm somewhat of an adrenaline junkie! The main reason I was in Vegas last time was to watch PJ in concert, but since they're not filling that void this year, I'm thinking about going and watching Penn & Teller or The Amazing Jonathon...or if I'm in the right mindset...The Price is Right, lol. Anyone know where the good sushi bars are (not talking about whore houses)? I also read that there's a gun shop that lets you fire fully automatic weapons...can't go wrong with that, right? lol
    PJPOWER wrote:

Damn dude, 4 nights??? That's goin to be quite a bender for ya.

Yeah, 4 is one too many. Three is perfect - just close enough without going over the edge. Good luck, man.
    Yeah, surviving this trip was never really factored into the plans, lol. Probably something I should look into.
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    Remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Except for herpes. That shit'll come back with you.
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I leave this Sunday for 9 days. My son is graduating. I hate Vegas, would rather spend that time elsewhere..but have fun when you go and watch out for cops dresses as hookers..hahahaha..see you on COPS!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    m0jorisen wrote:
    Remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Except for herpes. That shit'll come back with you.

HAAHAHA....classic line. Every time I watch that movie, it makes me want to get on a plane to Vegas.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    Planet Hollywood is great. Ive stayed there a few times and I am heading back on June 23.

Not too many tips. Fun is to be had everywhere.

A huge tip is watch where you eat. It is easy to spend a ton of unnecessary money on food there. With a little bit of effort you can get tastier food for much cheaper and save yourself hundreds of $.

Also paying for drinks will be expensive. If you pay, get a grain alcohol drink. You will be set for a long time.

I also back O' Sheas and Bill's Gamblin Hall and Saloon. Both right down the strip close to Planet Hollywood.

Planet Hollywood has a cool mall attached to it. Inside this mall is a place called Vegas Burger or something like that... great burgers (especially for a hangover). There is also a sportsbar (forget the name) that is rated as one of the best in the country.

lastly, learn how to play Pai Gow Poker.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Anything that gets handed to you on the street, take it. Try to get a full collection of cards. I understand the rookie cards are the hardest to find.

Seriously though, Nine Fine Irishmen @ New York New York is a excellent bar. Sea Blue at MGM Grand is good food, as is Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) at Ceaser's Palace, both are pricey though.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    And if you're really hard up on finding illegal substances, go to your closest Mexican slapping hooker cards. When in doubt, go to the Mexicans.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,970
    It's a huge douche fest.

this whole town is a douche fest....with only a few exceptions. ;)

but, c'mon out and blow a wad of cash. our economy could use it.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    It's a huge douche fest.

this whole town is a douche fest....with only a few exceptions. ;)

but, c'mon out and blow a wad of cash. our economy could use it.

Agreed. But I have no problem being around the douches to take their women. :thumbup:
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    My flight leaves in 9 hours..from 60 degree weather here in Oregon, to 100's..YIKES!! See you Ruby!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
    I'd love to catch another concert when I'm there...My options at this point are Primus, Rush, and...Lady Ga Ga, lol. I've never been a huge fan of Primus, but I can see it being a interesting show (for that matter, I guess the same could be said for Lady Ga Ga,ha). Any of you seen Primus or Rush live?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    anyone priceline a room lately? ... what are some of the deals you got?
    Well, about 2 weeks to go! Got my front row tickets to Penn and Teller and my Coheed and Cambria tickets...Everything else is up in the air. Plan on eating good and playing hard! I usually stick to Craps and Blackjack tables...anyone had any luck with anything else? I still have the funds for 1 more show...what's worth the money?