Ken Griffey Jr. retiring

2»

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    DewieCox wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    One of the all time greats. He did it clean and with class.

We sure about that? I give him the benefit of the doubt, but the way his body broke down was pretty consistent with a juicer's.

He deserves a spot in the HoF for his swing. That's f'n sugar

i disagree. he never used. either that or he is one of the smartest people on the face of the earth and got steroids to work in a way that limited his strength and prowess. We all know the Bonds and Mcgwire tales, they were hitting homers at ridiculous rates,mcgwire hit 70 and then like 2 years later Bonds hits 73, I mean, it was so absurd. They were putting up monster numbers. HUGE numbers.

Griffey, had that 56 and 55 homer back to back season, i think, but never again hit huge numbers. His putput has always been pretty consistent, slow and steady. That isnt consistent with a user. A user wants results NOW, not over 22 years. Bonds didnt take steroids so as to hit 35 homers for 15 years, he took them to hit 70 plus in one season or two seasons or three. There is a difference.

You dont take steroids to have a long lasting and slow and steady career. you take them to blow every record out of the water and to put up huge numbers year after year.

The problem with the assumption that he used, is a problem that results from the widespread casual use of steroids by this generation of players. My uncle is a life long baseball fan, but he sees no problem with the fact that people used, in that everyone used, and that doesnt taint baseball or anything. I disagree. I am not the baseball fan he is, but I have to say, if people like griffey jr are being questioned by others for being a user, then it has ruined the game.

Bonds, and Mcgwire were fair game because its obvious they used. even before mcgwire admitted it. There is a ton of evidence that suggests both used and used regularly. with griffey, not one teammate has said, he used, no one has said a word. Its fine to try and convict people like Bonds and Mcgwire, Bonds especially who I think is the epitome of evil, but to drag Junior down to their level I think is beyond disgusting.

There's plenty of players that used steroids that didn't have superhuman numbers. It was a widespread problem and there were 3 guys the hit the crazy HR numbers. And Jr's numbers aren't that UNridiculous. You can't tell me that people don't know how regulate it and use it for different purposes.

Didn't his HR totals take a pretty steep falloff?
    Didn't he have 400 before he left Seattle?

He coulda juiced while he was in Seattle and decided to clean it up when he headed for Cincy. That could explain his injury troubles. And how many players retire at 40? Pretty young to be that broke down?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The haters can go away. Griffey was the man.

Outside of a yankee player he is my favorite baseball player to ever play the game. Until someone proves he did it dirty i'm standing by he was legit.

Such a great fielder and by god the greatest swing i've ever seen.

They need to go ahead and retire his number in seattle and build the statue!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I'm not hating. I don't think he juiced, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest he did.