Dating Sites

yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So, let me just vent. Broke up with BF after 3 years and decided to pass some time by getting on one of those dating sites. I just did a search to see who viewed my profile, and discovered HIM looking at my page!!! YIKES! My stomach instantly flip flopped. Sad enough we split, there is still deep love for this man, but it just didn't work. Has anyone been successful on these sites, and what to do now that he is on?
I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
info@wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    can you block him?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    You should check with Lauri. I believe she has nothing but positive advice and great tips. A lot like me in that regard...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Go to a bar, get drunk, and viola - he's usually gone before you wake up. It's perfect.
  • Go to a bar, get drunk, and viola - he's usually gone before you wake up. It's perfect.

Or you wake up between a Violin and a Cello.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Go to a bar, get drunk, and viola - he's usually gone before you wake up. It's perfect.

Excuse me - voila.
  • Go to a bar, get drunk, and viola - he's usually gone before you wake up. It's perfect.

Excuse me - voila.

Viola was funnier, it's not like you farted or something.
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Hmmm I only know of 2 people that hooked up on a dating site and are still together. Doesnt seem like a good place to actually meet people just a way to pass time when you are bored..now a PJ show...thats another story..

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'd NEVER do it...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    yahamita wrote:
    So, let me just vent. Broke up with BF after 3 years and decided to pass some time by getting on one of those dating sites. I just did a search to see who viewed my profile, and discovered HIM looking at my page!!! YIKES! My stomach instantly flip flopped. Sad enough we split, there is still deep love for this man, but it just didn't work. Has anyone been successful on these sites, and what to do now that he is on?

How do you define successful?

In reality, a dating site is just like going to a giant party where everyone is single and looking to date. The level of "success" you have is the same as it would be with any large sub-segment of the population. A few years back, I used to go on a lot more dates and contact a lot more guys on dating sites than I do now. I get about the same number of messages in, it's just in the past couple years there just haven't been too many people that I seem interested in talking to or meeting. I've had pretty much the whole spectrum of dating experiences with online dating, just like if it were offline dating. I've been on bad dates, good dates, boring dates, sexy dates, gone on 1 date with someone, gone on 10 dates with someone, had 3 month relationships, had year long relationships...Some people meet a lot of people, some people meet one "special" person, others don't meet anyone or go on a million dates that don't work out. It's no less about luck and any other factors than offline dating. It's just easy because you know everyone on there wants to date.

Also don't check your ex's profile. Guys generally have a lot more demand when they first join a site because there are so few "quality" ones relative to the number of "quality" women. Just forget about him being on there, because it's going to feel like a competition.
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    My cousin met her man on one of those. They now have 2 kids together and are getting married in July so I guess they work for some people :D Good luck!
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    yahamita wrote:
    Hmmm I only know of 2 people that hooked up on a dating site and are still together. Doesnt seem like a good place to actually meet people just a way to pass time when you are bored..now a PJ show...thats another story..

I didn't use a dating site, but I met my girlfriend of 3 years online. Happiest I've ever been with anybody I've ever met...

I think it's just like meeting people face to face....you have to wade through all the shit-heads and psycho's...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Lauri wrote:
    yahamita wrote:

How do you define successful?

In reality, a dating site is just like going to a giant party where everyone is single and looking to date. The level of "success" you have is the same as it would be with any large sub-segment of the population. A few years back, I used to go on a lot more dates and contact a lot more guys on dating sites than I do now. I get about the same number of messages in, it's just in the past couple years there just haven't been too many people that I seem interested in talking to or meeting. I've had pretty much the whole spectrum of dating experiences with online dating, just like if it were offline dating. I've been on bad dates, good dates, boring dates, sexy dates, gone on 1 date with someone, gone on 10 dates with someone, had 3 month relationships, had year long relationships...Some people meet a lot of people, some people meet one "special" person, others don't meet anyone or go on a million dates that don't work out. It's no less about luck and any other factors than offline dating. It's just easy because you know everyone on there wants to date.

Also don't check your ex's profile. Guys generally have a lot more demand when they first join a site because there are so few "quality" ones relative to the number of "quality" women. Just forget about him being on there, because it's going to feel like a competition.
    You are so right about not looking at his profile, and I haven't..Great advice..

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
  • vomikus39vomikus39 Posts: 250
    Avoid looking at his page at all cost. Don't do it to yourself. I have had "sucess" on match.com. Haven't found the "one" yet, but met some great people and dated one for 5 months.
    Who the f*ck goes around skinning cats~~Ed

It all comes down to changing your head~~John Lennon

MSG 6-24-08/MSG 5-21-10/Philly MIA 9-2-12/Chicago Wrigley Field 7-19-13/Brooklyn NY 1&2 10-2013/Philly 1&2 10-2013
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I don't have anything negative to say about them... I've met some good men and some not so good men (same as regular dating). For me it works the best since I don't have the schedule that allows me to head out to the bar every weekend. I give it a thumbs up :thumbup:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"