Honeymoon ideas

Comments

• Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    polaris_x wrote:
    in 2 weeks?!
    i've done trips as you list above....but 3 separate trips of about 10 days each for each leg of the journey you outline above. at two weeks, that averages just 2 days in each spot, not even figuring travel to/from the UK and between cities much. idk i don't think 2 days does justice to such awesome paces!

shows what i know about hurrican season, haha. for some reason i thought late spring was a big time for them. :oops:

ya ... easily done ... i'm not expecting them to do a 3 day backpack in the grand canyon either tho ... :) ...

and that's stopping for a wine tour here and there also ... having said that - they could cut out the grand canyon and spend more time doing coastal california as driving up and down the coast is pretty cool on it's own ...
    Ooohh wine tours! :D the coastal drive really does sound like another option... how long is the drive from SF to Mexico? :D and finish the honeymoon off on the beach! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    polaris_x wrote:
    in 2 weeks?!
    i've done trips as you list above....but 3 separate trips of about 10 days each for each leg of the journey you outline above. at two weeks, that averages just 2 days in each spot, not even figuring travel to/from the UK and between cities much. idk i don't think 2 days does justice to such awesome paces!

shows what i know about hurrican season, haha. for some reason i thought late spring was a big time for them. :oops:

ya ... easily done ... i'm not expecting them to do a 3 day backpack in the grand canyon either tho ... :) ...

and that's stopping for a wine tour here and there also ... having said that - they could cut out the grand canyon and spend more time doing coastal california as driving up and down the coast is pretty cool on it's own ...
    Ooohh wine tours! :D the coastal drive really does sound like another option... how long is the drive from SF to Mexico? :D and finish the honeymoon off on the beach! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

i think a cali coastal drive would be an amazing, and more doable trip for 2 weeks!
    and you've got beach everywhere on the way!
    :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Thinkin of an American road trip... so now... Western (including LA, SF, LV, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Sacramento, Monument Valley, etc)?

Or Southern (Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Jackson, Charleston, Savannah, Pensacola, Tallahassee & New Orleans)?

I imagine that the West might be prettier? But the South more fun and character?

Anyone familiar with these areas wanna offer some advice? :P
    if you do not go through the redwood national forest (in northern california) you might just be insane.
    also i vote you visit arkansas, nebraska, and oklahoma... ;) ... i kid i kid...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

i haven't been to baja but everyone i know who's been says its fantastic so maybe there's your answer ... san fran down to baja and back!
    chadwick wrote:
    if you do not go through the redwood national forest (in northern california) you might just be insane.
    also i vote you visit arkansas, nebraska, and oklahoma... ;) ... i kid i kid...

she can see the redwoods either at big sur or in muir woods in the bay area ...

perhaps someday, but we DID see a great deal...walked on a glacier, etc......and there's sooooo many other places to still see too. so much to see and life is so short!

more time, and let's face it....$$$......always makes things easier. that said, i just find focusing on a few places to really SEE and experience makes a more enjoyable trip imo, especially for a honeymoon. not just your regular trip, ya know? ;) anyhoo, i'm sure you'll figure it out and plan, and have, an AWESOME honeymoon! besides, you've got plenty of time to think and plan, how fun!
    A glacier would be brilliant! I know I know... so much to see and I really wanna see it all. I think I'm incapable of relaxing on holiday and wanna squeeze in as much as I can. Dominican Republic is really cheap at the moment but there's a reason we're not going for it... we'd both be bored :D

The planning is half the fun... I'll probably plan and plan and plan and then end up in Italy or something :D but I really hope that doesn't happen cos I've always wanted this one. I guess I'm gonna have to get the big American map and the pins out and see how our budget would be for our own trip.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    polaris_x wrote:

i haven't been to baja but everyone i know who's been says its fantastic so maybe there's your answer ... san fran down to baja and back!
    mmmmm google is my friend :D Is that a doable option?

Chadwick you're just mean :lol:

You're all a brilliant help though... I'll definitely be hitting you all for ideas closer to the time... or when I finally make a decision.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

You're all a brilliant help though... I'll definitely be hitting you all for ideas closer to the time... or when I finally make a decision.

i think it's doable especially with the ocean at your side for the whole drive! ... good luck making a decision!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    I have not been since Katrina but was a few times before. Love the music, Memphis the same. So much fun to just go from place to place hearing the best music ever and meeting really great people. You would like Savannah too for the southern charm. It would be nice to catch a bit of the ocean too. I live in Atl and out of the cities you mentioned Atl might be the one I'd skip. That sounds terrible but the other cities to me have more character. But do your research, make sure you are both ok with the pollen thing, it can be pretty bad here in the South. Congratulations, what a wonderfully happy time in your life, Enjoy!
    I think the music's playing a massive part in what draws me there. Lol, it actually allows for 3 nights in Atlanta. Oh well! Maybe we DO need to make our own itinerary after all. I think we're both allergy free... so far so good!

Thank you, it really is a fun time. Already booked the venue and paid the deposit on my dress :D . It's a tough thing to organise though when you're not a natural decision maker :D
    Some here are talking about CA it is so wonderful. The wine country I never wanted to leave. We have such a beautiful country really coast to coast so hard to choose.
    I was a floral designer as a girl and serviced weddings. Many times on their special days the brides were so overwhelmed, all the planning, worry, everything comes together and is over quick as a wink. One day, a few short hours and its over. Some were in tears, some almost zombie like. Keep it as simple as you can and enjoy the love that is bringing all these people together. Cherish each moment, stop and take it all in, in 30 years you will only remember the very good anyways. 30 years yikes!!
    polaris_x wrote:

i think it's doable especially with the ocean at your side for the whole drive! ... good luck making a decision!
    Thank you :D was just talking to him about all this and it's pretty exciting! I mentioned possibly just doing the coastal drive and he's up for that! We can fly into either SF or La, whichever's the cheapest and use it as a base. I'd love to see the grand canyon but neither of us are really interested in Vegas or some of the surrounding areas so we could personalise it a bit more
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    pandora wrote:
    Some here are talking about CA it is so wonderful. The wine country I never wanted to leave. We have such a beautiful country really coast to coast so hard to choose.
    I was a floral designer as a girl and serviced weddings. Many times on their special days the brides were so overwhelmed, all the planning, worry, everything comes together and is over quick as a wink. One day, a few short hours and its over. Some were in tears, some almost zombie like. Keep it as simple as you can and enjoy the love that is bringing all these people together. Cherish each moment, stop and take it all in, in 30 years you will only remember the very good anyways. 30 years yikes!!
    :D I'm not surprised you've worked in weddings... you make everything sound so beautiful :oops: . I've already considered what life's gonna be like when it's over and it seems so dull :D all the settling down and kid talk and all that, it's pretty scary :D and I know life's gonna be a bit more grown up afterwards so I'm taking this opportunity to do all the things I've wanted to do (hold on for the hen party thread :D )

We're gonna stay in our wedding hotel for a few nights and probably meet everyone for lunch the next day and stuff. So it won't be a mad rush afterwards. We're living in England now so a lot of his friends and family will make a holiday of it and some of them seeing Ireland for the first time so it will be pretty nice.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the coastal drive really does sound like another option... how long is the drive from SF to Mexico? :D and finish the honeymoon off on the beach! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Drive itself is 10-12 hours...but with stopping and seeing stuff you could make it a 3-4 day trip
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:
    the coastal drive really does sound like another option... how long is the drive from SF to Mexico? :D and finish the honeymoon off on the beach! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Drive itself is 10-12 hours...but with stopping and seeing stuff you could make it a 3-4 day trip

Getting kidnapped has it's downsides
    norm wrote:

I think this might be the one :oops: I reckon two weeks would be plenty for that trip!

hmmmm... I came here fully sure that I wanted the southern trip... but you people are really selling the west :oops:

Ever thought of going into business together? :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    norm wrote:

I think this might be the one :oops: I reckon two weeks would be plenty for that trip!

hmmmm... I came here fully sure that I wanted the southern trip... but you people are really selling the west :oops:

If you wanna hit great breweries on this trip, you let me know.

And by the way, if you spend more time in a car on your honeymoon than in bed, you are doing it wrong.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    :D I'm not surprised you've worked in weddings... you make everything sound so beautiful :oops: . I've already considered what life's gonna be like when it's over and it seems so dull :D all the settling down and kid talk and all that, it's pretty scary :D and I know life's gonna be a bit more grown up afterwards so I'm taking this opportunity to do all the things I've wanted to do (hold on for the hen party thread :D )

We're gonna stay in our wedding hotel for a few nights and probably meet everyone for lunch the next day and stuff. So it won't be a mad rush afterwards. We're living in England now so a lot of his friends and family will make a holiday of it and some of them seeing Ireland for the first time so it will be pretty nice.
    Oh never dull an adventure together! Plenty of time for kids, be a couple as long as you can. The wedding sounds wonderful, please continue to share your news, it's all so happy!
    norm wrote:

If you wanna hit great breweries on this trip, you let me know.

And by the way, if you spend more time in a car on your honeymoon than in bed, you are doing it wrong.

Me??????? Hit breweries???????? Oh you think you know me so well, eh? Ehhhhh ok, yeh, that would be fab :D

It's a honeymoon... who needs a bed? ;)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    pandora wrote:

Oh never dull an adventure together! Plenty of time for kids, be a couple as long as you can. The wedding sounds wonderful, please continue to share your news, it's all so happy!
    Oh there'll still be adventure... there just won't be much money for really really GREAT adventures :D Not if we stay on English wages :shock:

Thank you :D it's always nice to find people i haven't bored with it yet... although there's a FEW girls at work also getting married so we've turned into a right bunch of bridezillas :D I'm pretty sure I've even turned the guy who sits beside me gay as he's been helping me with colours and stuff :D . I'm not one for detail so that eliminates a lot of the boring stuff... at least there won't be a thread on napkin colours :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    norm wrote:

Well I am biased: oops: I love the west so much but honestly virualy any part of this country is beautiful and fascinating...but rarely will you hear some say the didn't love the west coast after seeing it

norm wrote:

Well I am biased: oops: I love the west so much but honestly virualy any part of this country is beautiful and fascinating...but rarely will you hear some say the didn't love the west coast after seeing it

Well ideally I'd take three months off and tour the whole bloody lot :D but for now I'm gonna have to settle with what we can squeeze into two weeks. West coast is lookin very rosy at the mo. So what's the deal with this Baja place? Is it dangerous? Is it just a massive resort that has nothing authentic about it? Or is it a proper slice of Mexico? Expensive?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    norm wrote:

Well ideally I'd take three months off and tour the whole bloody lot :D but for now I'm gonna have to settle with what we can squeeze into two weeks. West coast is lookin very rosy at the mo. So what's the deal with this Baja place? Is it dangerous? Is it just a massive resort that has nothing authentic about it? Or is it a proper slice of Mexico? Expensive?

Don't know much about traveling Baja...it is really nice in parts, not so in others...hopefully someone can clue you in as to that. :D
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    three words...

go to hawaii. we spend almost 2 weeks there for our honeymoon...incredible
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

Don't know much about traveling Baja...it is really nice in parts, not so in others...hopefully someone can clue you in as to that. :D
    :D cool... well I've found it on the map so that's a start.

The Fixer, I can imagine... think Hawaii would possibly cost about three times more than this though :oops: but he IS big into surfing so I could start dropping the hints now lol
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

The Fixer, I can imagine... think Hawaii would possibly cost about three times more than this though :oops: but he IS big into surfing so I could start dropping the hints now lol

It's not cheap, but we figured what the hell...it's our honeymoon. only get 1 time to go on your honeymoon. amazing, amazing place

congrats on your engagement and best of luck with the wedding/honeymoon planning. if you have any hawaii-related questions, feel free to reach out to me.
    The Fixer wrote:

It's not cheap, but we figured what the hell...it's our honeymoon. only get 1 time to go on your honeymoon. amazing, amazing place

congrats on your engagement and best of luck with the wedding/honeymoon planning. if you have any hawaii-related questions, feel free to reach out to me.
    Thanks :D and I know what ya mean... but the roadtrip has kinda been our dream thing, for a long time, mine since forever :D and we can use the extra money to splash out on a fancy car for the trip. Strangely I'm not overly bothered on the quality of the accommodation... seedy motels will do me fine :lol:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Helen, here is what hiking in my woods is like. Not to be missed.

* This is a a bit from a bigger story. I just received the final edit on this from Idaho Magazine a few minutes ago and thought about my offer to take you hiking. It will be in the July issue.

I experience a fleeting concern for my wife’s safety. Like our powerful rivers, the Idaho mountains can be unforgiving to those with poor preparation. However, Jamie is a skilled backpacker and this is not her first solo expedition. My anxiety is replaced by a sense of pride. While I have met many women who are more than capable, I know only a few who are truly comfortable alone in the high country. Jamie’s mom worries immensely, and our friends think she might be crazy, but my wife refuses to let irrational fears control her behavior. Still, experience and education are no guarantees in the wild; potential obstacles are numerous and, oftentimes, life-threatening. Despite the dangers of backcountry adventuring, the situations I worry about most are those involving other humans. Wild animals never prompt me to bring weapons into the mountains, but I cannot say similar things about the unpredictable nature of people. In that anthrophobic manner, Jamie and I are very much alike.
    This train of thought reminds me that in my packing haste, I left all of my weaponry at home. Without at least a substantial blade, I feel naked. It doesn’t help my situation, but I take comfort knowing my wife carries her hunting knife and a pearl-handled, antique .22 derringer. Although I am not convinced that the tiny, two-shot pistol will even fire, it could still be used to bluff her way out of a precarious encounter. As a young lady, my mother once stuck a .357 right in the faces of a couple drunken hunters who invited themselves into her camp with bad intentions. You just never know.
    Soon after, I turn and drive northeast on Highway 21 for another seventy minutes before finally reaching the Grandjean turnout. My headache is waning with each passing mile and the smell of fresh pine has me feeling almost human once again. The digital clock on my car stereo indicates I am more than an hour early. Chances are my wife is still hiking. I drive through the sprawling campsite and find her car parked at the trailhead. The maroon hatchback is empty of backpacking gear. I look up at the jagged peaks dominating the landscape. Sure enough, Jamie is out there somewhere.
    Even as I make the decision to track her down, I realize my portable filtrating water bottle is still sitting next to the kitchen sink where I left it this morning. No weapons, no water— what is this, amateur hour? No more getting packed for outdoor activities when I have the functioning brain power of a zombie. In light of the situation, I opt to leave my daypack behind. Carrying nothing, I’ll be able to cover ground more quickly. The midday June sun has long since burned through the morning dew and the temperature is surprisingly hot for the time of year and elevation. I figure I can walk at least eight miles in the increasing heat without water. That means a maximum of four miles in and four miles back out. After that, dehydration will set in quickly. I drink my fill of water from a pump at the trailhead, soak my T-shirt, and tie it around my head. Time to get walking.
    Less than a quarter-mile down a narrow trail hemmed in on both sides by walls of spruce trees, I spot the largest pile of carnivore scat I have ever seen in Idaho. The mound is packed with elk hair and is no more than a day old. I keep moving and find an abundance of sign. A pack of wolves containing some sizable members has been through here recently. Several of their tracks are clearly imbedded in the earth from when the ground was last damp. The larger ones have feet the size of my hands, and I’m not a small guy. Their tracks are heading in both directions; the wolves are using this trail as a highway.
    I crouch and crabwalk over the trail, attempting to distinguish Jamie’s tracks from the boot prints of other hikers. It takes me a few minutes of scouring the packed dirt for evidence, but eventually I find a single, clear impression that is both her foot size and bears a recognizable tread pattern. Something about tracking living things always makes my blood run hot and brings a grin to my lips. I like to believe the Cherokee blood flowing through my veins, although mostly diluted, still has a powerful influence over my heart and mind.
    Hiking deeper into the forest, I find a spruce trunk bearing the recent claw marks of a black bear and, shortly after, a half-buried pile of mountain lion scat. Even wild cats are tidy about their business. Never have I seen so much evidence of predator activity in such a confined location. The wolf sign, however, continues to dominate the trail. I cannot help but wonder if Jamie has seen any of these majestic and elusive animals streaking through the trees. Even the possibility leaves me feeling jealous.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Helen, here is what hiking in my woods is like. Not to be missed.

* This is a a bit from a bigger story. I just received the final edit on this from Idaho Magazine a few minutes ago and thought about my offer to take you hiking. It will be in the July issue.

I experience a fleeting concern for my wife’s safety. Like our powerful rivers, the Idaho mountains can be unforgiving to those with poor preparation. However, Jamie is a skilled backpacker and this is not her first solo expedition. My anxiety is replaced by a sense of pride. While I have met many women who are more than capable, I know only a few who are truly comfortable alone in the high country. Jamie’s mom worries immensely, and our friends think she might be crazy, but my wife refuses to let irrational fears control her behavior. Still, experience and education are no guarantees in the wild; potential obstacles are numerous and, oftentimes, life-threatening. Despite the dangers of backcountry adventuring, the situations I worry about most are those involving other humans. Wild animals never prompt me to bring weapons into the mountains, but I cannot say similar things about the unpredictable nature of people. In that anthrophobic manner, Jamie and I are very much alike.
    This train of thought reminds me that in my packing haste, I left all of my weaponry at home. Without at least a substantial blade, I feel naked. It doesn’t help my situation, but I take comfort knowing my wife carries her hunting knife and a pearl-handled, antique .22 derringer. Although I am not convinced that the tiny, two-shot pistol will even fire, it could still be used to bluff her way out of a precarious encounter. As a young lady, my mother once stuck a .357 right in the faces of a couple drunken hunters who invited themselves into her camp with bad intentions. You just never know.
    Soon after, I turn and drive northeast on Highway 21 for another seventy minutes before finally reaching the Grandjean turnout. My headache is waning with each passing mile and the smell of fresh pine has me feeling almost human once again. The digital clock on my car stereo indicates I am more than an hour early. Chances are my wife is still hiking. I drive through the sprawling campsite and find her car parked at the trailhead. The maroon hatchback is empty of backpacking gear. I look up at the jagged peaks dominating the landscape. Sure enough, Jamie is out there somewhere.
    Even as I make the decision to track her down, I realize my portable filtrating water bottle is still sitting next to the kitchen sink where I left it this morning. No weapons, no water— what is this, amateur hour? No more getting packed for outdoor activities when I have the functioning brain power of a zombie. In light of the situation, I opt to leave my daypack behind. Carrying nothing, I’ll be able to cover ground more quickly. The midday June sun has long since burned through the morning dew and the temperature is surprisingly hot for the time of year and elevation. I figure I can walk at least eight miles in the increasing heat without water. That means a maximum of four miles in and four miles back out. After that, dehydration will set in quickly. I drink my fill of water from a pump at the trailhead, soak my T-shirt, and tie it around my head. Time to get walking.
    Less than a quarter-mile down a narrow trail hemmed in on both sides by walls of spruce trees, I spot the largest pile of carnivore scat I have ever seen in Idaho. The mound is packed with elk hair and is no more than a day old. I keep moving and find an abundance of sign. A pack of wolves containing some sizable members has been through here recently. Several of their tracks are clearly imbedded in the earth from when the ground was last damp. The larger ones have feet the size of my hands, and I’m not a small guy. Their tracks are heading in both directions; the wolves are using this trail as a highway.
    I crouch and crabwalk over the trail, attempting to distinguish Jamie’s tracks from the boot prints of other hikers. It takes me a few minutes of scouring the packed dirt for evidence, but eventually I find a single, clear impression that is both her foot size and bears a recognizable tread pattern. Something about tracking living things always makes my blood run hot and brings a grin to my lips. I like to believe the Cherokee blood flowing through my veins, although mostly diluted, still has a powerful influence over my heart and mind.
    Hiking deeper into the forest, I find a spruce trunk bearing the recent claw marks of a black bear and, shortly after, a half-buried pile of mountain lion scat. Even wild cats are tidy about their business. Never have I seen so much evidence of predator activity in such a confined location. The wolf sign, however, continues to dominate the trail. I cannot help but wonder if Jamie has seen any of these majestic and elusive animals streaking through the trees. Even the possibility leaves me feeling jealous.

Really?

I have a 6 word limit. I got to "This is a a bit from" and had a nervous breakdown.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980

Really?

I have a 6 word limit. I got to "This is a a bit from" and had a nervous breakdown.

The tension in the piece would have killed you then. You made the right choice.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    alaska is truly incredible.
    however, only a girl would go there during summer months.

wait..... never mind.

;)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    seems we can't take a hire car over the border to Mexico? Makes sense really... but I guess we could get a bus from San Diego to Tijuana and hire one there or something?

Also we've heard there's a good chance Yosemite would be snowed under in April? It was this year apparently but I know this year was a freak year!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life