Anyone Else Like Being in the Middle of Nowhere?

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
..it might sound weird, but after I broke up with my girlfriend I just drove to the most remote spot in Wisconisn I could find and just thought about life. I loved, and am doing it again this coming weekend in Florida (Captiva Island).....it clears me out. anyone else or am I the sole Bon Iver weirdo

"There's alot to be said for nowhere"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    +1, although I generally think about nothing.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i like to call it "Wading in a thought puddle of moonlight" i saw that graffetied on a bench at a subway station at 3 in the morning after a great night of drinking in the city and making my way home. Not a bad place t be really.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    Take advantage of your situation right now, not everyone have the luxury of meditate and give sense to their life, good for you, we all should have the chance to drop everything and think about life without the stress by ourselves.

Good for you man!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    arq wrote:
    Take advantage of your situation right now, not everyone have the luxury of meditate and give sense to their life, good for you, we all should have the chance to drop everything and think about life without the stress by ourselves.

Good for you man!

the advantage of a teacher in the summer:)
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I love nowhere!
  • spicewaltonspicewalton Posts: 41
    Sawyer wrote:
    ..it might sound weird, but after I broke up with my girlfriend I just drove to the most remote spot in Wisconisn I could find and just thought about life. I loved, and am doing it again this coming weekend in Florida (Captiva Island).....it clears me out. anyone else or am I the sole Bon Iver weirdo

Captiva is great, but next time, if you want to go even remoterer (or more remote, for the purists), go one island further north, to Cayo Costa. It's a state park and can only be reached by boat. There is a ferry service available, so you don't need your own boat to get there.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    yeah i live there, nowhere.
    glad you're finding peace from within and out.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I just got back from my house...been separated since august and had to go over and decide on who gets what and all that crap...I am in such a bad place right now that I feel like I am in the middle of nowhere even though I am back where I am staying...No one to talk too..nothing to do and I feel very alone right now. Can stop crying and cant breathe...For fucks sakes, this blows.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • maybe you can think about politics more.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    MrSmith wrote:
    maybe you can think about politics more.
    haha
    ya right.
    that'll do it.

politics = relaxation & utter tranquility.
    out in my sacred sanctuary i have many posters hung up of w & dick balls cheney.
    it's all about the enlightenment those two cock blows give me.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    I just got back from my house...been separated since august and had to go over and decide on who gets what and all that crap...I am in such a bad place right now that I feel like I am in the middle of nowhere even though I am back where I am staying...No one to talk too..nothing to do and I feel very alone right now. Can stop crying and cant breathe...For fucks sakes, this blows.

take a drive...just you....and dont know where you're going.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    When ever i think of going to the middle of nowhere, i seem to be somewhere. damm Philosophy degree.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Yep..and when I do I usually try and stay there for a week! For me I usually end up somewhere with no mobile phone service or internet service, so it is just pure bliss. Very relaxing and allows me to recharge and get my head space back in order.
    in hiding
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Sawyer wrote:

Captiva is great, but next time, if you want to go even remoterer (or more remote, for the purists), go one island further north, to Cayo Costa. It's a state park and can only be reached by boat. There is a ferry service available, so you don't need your own boat to get there.

There really isn't a middle of no where in Captiva. But maybe finding a quiet spot on the beach early in the morning will probably work. Or go over to Sanibel and early and ride your bike or walk through the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge. Anyway, off track here I know.

I agree with a previous poster - In Hiding.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 752
    at times -- love it!
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Geez, one 3 day weekend and suddenly everyone is John muir. ;)
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eyedclaar wrote:

Why, was he a wildly entertaining drunk with a penchant for being nude?
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    eyedclaar wrote:

Well yeah. Also, I consider the middle of nowhere to be the center of everywhere. Think about it... ;)
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Well yeah. Also, I consider the middle of nowhere to be the center of everywhere. Think about it... ;)

I tried, but my head exploded.
    to quote beverly hills cop (ya i know) "Don't THINK Axle, it makes my dick itch"
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    I find a different space closer to home. When I need to clear my head or get in more control I turn off the tv for a couple months. Sometimes I just like to lie down, and look at the ceiling fan working, just listening to the springtime cross breeze. It's probably easier for me as I live alone, and I can make my home my sanctuary.

A place where one finds contentment or solace no matter how far the journey, is a good place.

Have fun chillin' out! :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I love it...seriously, some of the most amazing moments I've experienced are when I'm deep in the wilderness camping, hiking, or anything...just taking it all in.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I love the middle of nowhere. I used to go there more often, and it's been too long since I've last visited.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i spent 3 weeks in the largest and oldest commune in the united states. i spent those 3 weeks making tofu and hammocks. i even considered living there long term. I never stepped foot into civilization once, in those 3 weeks. that was REALLY in the middle of nowhere.

I change often between two ways of life. The big city interests me. Alot of creative folks, alot of stuff to do, movies to see, shows to see, art to see, things to do. But I also think modernity can be alienating even with all that. We are a sick culture. The Road was a hell of a book and movie, but I also think its an accurate portrayal of whats inevitable. At a certain point we have to sort of wonder, is it worth it to pave new roads over wetlands, build more cars, build more highways, build more huge buildings, plow down more trees, and pollute more of our world? And at a certain point we also have to think about the natural and inevitable consquences of living like we do. We, I, you all, love technology, tv, computers, and being able to travel, but it all has a price. A huge price. One that is so staggering its painful to even contemplate.

I am hopeful right now that I can save some money, so as to rent a cabin, in some remote place, and just dry out, just get away. One of my biggest regrets is that my parents never bought a cabin. I never experienced that whole thing.

I often wish I could just move to Italy, buy a small house, grow some vegetables on the land, sell them at the local market and spend my days writing, drawing, painting and playing music. Seems infinitely more interesting to me than the graduate, get a job, get married, buy a house,have kids, retire, nonsense that is expected of us all.

We all would do well to live more like Thoreau. If we all lived on our own Waldens the world would be a better place.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i think its a necessary action. the wanting to flee, get away, just zone out from the absolute garbage and toxicity of modernity and life. Thats why people like Chris Mccandless or Thoreau or whoever hold such a captivating presence in our imaginations. How many times have you thought or heard someone else say "I just want to quit my job, and move to France". Mccandless and Thoreau didnt spend hours debating, should I or shouldnt I. They did. They lived life. They lived a much fuller life than most of us will ever experience.

I often also think about the world, and how much bigger it must have seemed to people 200 or even 100 years ago. Obviously Native Americans were using America, and were cutting trees to build things, they didnt just sit around and do nothing. But imagine, what America would have looked like in 1620. Imagine, how vast and spacious and green and wild it must have looked. I imagine it would have looked like the Lost Island or something. Humans will always have a gravity pulling them towards that feeling, that idea.