Ian Astbury says Eddie has no integrity??!

Restless SoulRestless Soul Posts: 805
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Who does he think he is! :x

I think he just sounds bitter and twisted because he wants an award or something, lol.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/10/may/31 ... akes.shtml

http://www.rockradio.co.uk/rock-news/as ... /#comments

(Ps: sorry if this has already been posted. Had to do it, th is plonker's really made me angry!)

And to think I used to like the cult.. . :roll:
"We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
---
London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
London, Wembley, 1996
London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
London, O2, 18 August 2009
London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
London, O2, 18 June 2018
London, O2, 17 July 2018
Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    So he's calling out all of those guys because they didn't step up and volunteer to tour with the Doors?

Seems to me all of those guys he mentioned are pretty busy with their own successful bands.

Well, at least Astbury now has something to do...
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Wow, he's pissed because Eddie didn't dedicate his musical life to imitating Jim Morrison? He just sounds jealous of all their careers
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    Hold on, wait! This changes everything for me!
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    Wow, he's pissed because Eddie didn't dedicate his musical life to imitating Jim Morrison? He just sounds jealous of all their careers
    +1. I now respect Ian Astbury even less!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    edited May 2010
    wow ... neko case slept with jim morrison? ... how old would she have been?

edit: nevermind ... the guy who made that comment is clearly on crack ...
    Post edited by polaris_x on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,980
    I've seen threads complaining about this guy on here before. What I want to know is, who is Ian Astbury?? :?: :?: :?:
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • DPrival78DPrival78 Posts: 2,263
    What I want to know is, who is Ian Astbury?? :?: :?: :?:

exactly what i was thinking..
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I've seen threads complaining about this guy on here before. What I want to know is, who is Ian Astbury?? :?: :?: :?:
    Me too. This guy is almost as irrelivent as Pete Doherty from babyshambles
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351
    http://www.rockradio.co.uk/rock-news/as ... /s5rhv364/

Cult frontman Ian Astbury has slammed American stars for not stepping up to front The Doors of the 21st Century – and has named and shamed Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction as fakes who lack integrity.

Astbury replaced Jim Morrison for the Doors in 150 shows and says he was proud to do it, but he believes a Stateside singer should have been there to perform with the iconic 60s outfit.

He tells the HeraldSun: "There wasn't a single American singer who stepped up to the plate and said: 'I want to do this. I'm an American artist – I demand to do this.'

"Not Eddie Vedder, not Dave Grohl, not Trent Reznor, not Perry Farrell. Not Scott Weiland. Not one of them stepped up and fought for it. When The Doors needed that generation to surround them and support them, the cupboard was bare.

"But I honoured that legacy – I put my soul into it, I lost myself inside it. Every time I walked on stage, I had a responsibility to Jim Morrison, and Ray Manzarek, and Robby Krieger, and John Densmore, to bring it.

"So the next time people are handing out awards and lauding over Perry and Eddie's wonderful contributions to music, really have a look at their contribution. Integrity, diginity and experience? Some kind of fake emotionality? I don't think so.

“My heroes – David Bowie, Joe Strummer, Ray Manzarek, Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant – all those guys went out on stage and did their shit, and never once stood in the limelight and said: 'Hey, I'm the cat's meow.'

"They didn't do that. They had integrity. I want to be like that as I get older. I don't want to be some jock rock guy: 'Hey, I'm Dave Grohl, let's rock!'"

Astbury applies the same curt thinking to his reasons for being part of the Cult's reunion, and playing their Love album live. He says: "We asked, what is The Cult in 2010 and 2011? Led Zeppelin? Absolutely. The Doors? Absolutely. Public Image Limited? Absolutely. The Pistols, The Stooges? Absolutely.

"The Love album wasn't just us listening to Led Zeppelin records. It was more than that: Iggy, Berlin-period Bowie, Joy Divison, the Stones, Velvet Underground, Neil Young. It's a great thing to go back to that as a touchstone and see those archetypal influences in what we're doing. We're showing you our sketch books, our inner most process by doing this record live.

"We also have a responsibility to the generation behind us. We don't own any of this. I'm concerned for future generations of musicians and artists. It resonates well for a performance if it's a celebration of life."

---

"She Sells Sanctuary" that's the only known song anybody knows of from The Cult. That's it! Ask a friend on the street or at a bar. What other Cult hit do they know? Wow, 2002 he went on tour & sang with The Doors. *claps hands. Ian is no Jim Morrison.

"So the next time people are handing out awards and lauding over Perry and Eddie's wonderful contributions to music, really have a look at their contribution. Integrity, diginity and experience? Some kind of fake emotionality? I don't think so."

Are you shitting me? What has this Ian guy ever contributed to the music business, let alone any non profit organizations? Oh, he left his band, The Cult, to do this project with The Doors, where the original singer has died many, many year's ago, and so it's the best 'in the music contribution' field to step up and sing, go on the road, and take the role of Jim Morrision & play with The Doors. Each night cover songs the late Jim Morrision wrote & sang. Ever heard of playing with your already somewhat known band, The Cult? What these artists you cry & bitch about have, an already band of their own!

Why would anybody want to step up & play on the road with a band that's already no more? That doesn't make any more records? Again, it's not The Doors without Jim Morrison. Why is this Ian bum crying that nobody else took the spot? The other Doors member should of went on their own and find a replacement singer, if they are in this for the money! Nobody put a gun to Ian's head to play 150 show's with The Doors. He wanted to do it. He had no new material to write for The Cult, his band. Why, cause he & his band sucks!!!
    demetrios wrote:
    http://www.rockradio.co.uk/rock-news/astbury-slams-us-singers/s5rhv364/

Cult frontman Ian Astbury has slammed American stars for not stepping up to front The Doors of the 21st Century – and has named and shamed Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction as fakes who lack integrity.

Astbury replaced Jim Morrison for the Doors in 150 shows and says he was proud to do it, but he believes a Stateside singer should have been there to perform with the iconic 60s outfit.

He tells the HeraldSun: "There wasn't a single American singer who stepped up to the plate and said: 'I want to do this. I'm an American artist – I demand to do this.'

"Not Eddie Vedder, not Dave Grohl, not Trent Reznor, not Perry Farrell. Not Scott Weiland. Not one of them stepped up and fought for it. When The Doors needed that generation to surround them and support them, the cupboard was bare.

"But I honoured that legacy – I put my soul into it, I lost myself inside it. Every time I walked on stage, I had a responsibility to Jim Morrison, and Ray Manzarek, and Robby Krieger, and John Densmore, to bring it.

"So the next time people are handing out awards and lauding over Perry and Eddie's wonderful contributions to music, really have a look at their contribution. Integrity, diginity and experience? Some kind of fake emotionality? I don't think so.

“My heroes – David Bowie, Joe Strummer, Ray Manzarek, Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant – all those guys went out on stage and did their shit, and never once stood in the limelight and said: 'Hey, I'm the cat's meow.'

"They didn't do that. They had integrity. I want to be like that as I get older. I don't want to be some jock rock guy: 'Hey, I'm Dave Grohl, let's rock!'"

Astbury applies the same curt thinking to his reasons for being part of the Cult's reunion, and playing their Love album live. He says: "We asked, what is The Cult in 2010 and 2011? Led Zeppelin? Absolutely. The Doors? Absolutely. Public Image Limited? Absolutely. The Pistols, The Stooges? Absolutely.

"The Love album wasn't just us listening to Led Zeppelin records. It was more than that: Iggy, Berlin-period Bowie, Joy Divison, the Stones, Velvet Underground, Neil Young. It's a great thing to go back to that as a touchstone and see those archetypal influences in what we're doing. We're showing you our sketch books, our inner most process by doing this record live.

"We also have a responsibility to the generation behind us. We don't own any of this. I'm concerned for future generations of musicians and artists. It resonates well for a performance if it's a celebration of life."

---

"She Sells Sanctuary" that's the only known song anybody knows of from The Cult. That's it! Ask a friend on the street or at a bar. What other Cult hit do they know? Wow, 2002 he went on tour & sang with The Doors. *claps hands. Ian is no Jim Morrison.

"So the next time people are handing out awards and lauding over Perry and Eddie's wonderful contributions to music, really have a look at their contribution. Integrity, diginity and experience? Some kind of fake emotionality? I don't think so."

Are you shitting me? What has this Ian guy ever contributed to the music business, let alone any non profit organizations? Oh, he left his band, The Cult, to do this project with The Doors, where the original singer has died many, many year's ago, and so it's the best 'in the music contribution' field to step up and sing, go on the road, and take the role of Jim Morrision & play with The Doors. Each night cover songs the late Jim Morrision wrote & sang. Ever heard of playing with your already somewhat known band, The Cult? What these artists you cry & bitch about have, an already band of their own!

Why would anybody want to step up & play on the road with a band that's already no more? That doesn't make any more records? Again, it's not The Doors without Jim Morrison. Why is this Ian bum crying that nobody else took the spot? The other Doors member should of went on their own and find a replacement singer, if they are in this for the money! Nobody put a gun to Ian's head to play 150 show's with The Doors. He wanted to do it. He had no new material to write for The Cult, his band. Why, cause he & his band sucks!!!
    The guy is clearly uneducated and unafraid to show it.
    He uses the word 'integrity' a few times.. doesn't integrity mean you stand behind what you believe in? Thus, wouldn't HE be the one lacking integrity by walking away from his own band to essentially sing in a cover band? Eddie Vedder and the other names Ian Astbury has thrown around here all have more integrity in their little fingers than Ian Astbury does in his whole body, as seen through their devotion to their own music, to their own fans, and their own generation - and Astbury's lack thereof.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,980
    Ahh... the Cult?!?

Right. They had two songs -- that sounded alike -- that were popular when I was a freshman in college.

That was a long time ago, boys and girls; my class's 20th reunion was this weekend.

So, now that my question has been answered, I have another one: Who cares what Ian Astbury thinks?? The title of this "news" story should have been "Nearly 25 years after he had a hit single, Ian Astbury struggles to keep his name in the news." I think we have given his opinions -- which, seriously, matter even less than those posted on here -- more than enough attention. If he is so desperate for media coverage, perhaps he should go join a reality show.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    I think this quote from original Doors drummer John Densmore says it all:

A full Doors reunion could be possible this year if Pearl Jam star Eddie Vedder agrees to perform with the rock legends again.

Vedder joined the three existing members of the group for shows and studio sessions a decade ago and drummer John Densmore reveals he'd consider ending his stand-off with his bandmates if the Alive singer agreed to front them for 40th anniversary shows.

Densmore has been fighting with former Doors bandmates Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek ever since they launched The Doors Of The 21st Century with The Cult singer Ian Astbury, and even though the trio appeared together at a recent book signing event in Los Angeles, the drummer refused to be part of a planned performance at fabled Los Angeles venue the Whisky A Go Go.

Densmore reveals he, Krieger and Manzarek are planning to host another book and poetry reading and signing event in England later this year, but he owes it to the memory of late bandmate Jim Morrison to only perform with the perfect frontman.

Densmore says, "I play with Jim. If there's someone of that level, OK. I'm not gonna join them with Ian. That's not to diss Ian, he's a good singer - but he's no Jim Morrison. Eddie Vedder? My God, there's a singer."

Asked if he'd perform with his bandmates if Vedder was on board for shows, the drummer adds, "Probably."

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/02/08/john_densmore_considers_full_doors_reuni
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    absolutely bizzard article. the only reason somebody goes around calling out others in this way is if they want attention. lets not give it to him.
  • zappa99zappa99 Posts: 285
    I'm 34 so during the hairband days the Cult were the shit. They were almost like pearl jam with there classic rock sound melded with modern rock. Then Pearl Jam came along The Cult became lumped in with hair bands and they disappeared. Great music, just one mans opinion.
  • Ian Assury is a dick. I saw D21C and it was ass. Had they picked the right frontman (Travis Meeks) it would have rocked.

I also went to see The Cult a couple years ago, as a guy had won tickets and he sold them to me for $10, so I figured "ah, what the hell". BOOOOORING.

Why is it any musician's responsibility to step up to to fill JM's shoes? I can only speculate, but I'm guessing Mr Morrison would have some choice words for Ian Assbury.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I also don't recall any of the musicians he mentioned in this interview as going into the media or on stage and telling the world they were "the shit". Ed especially. I think Ian's on drugs.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Passim wrote:

Vedder joined the three existing members of the group for shows and studio sessions a decade ago and drummer John Densmore reveals he'd consider ending his stand-off with his bandmates if the Alive singer agreed to front them for 40th anniversary shows.

:shock:

ex-CUSE ME??? source? did he record anything with them??
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Passim wrote:

Yes. They performed at the Rock and Roll hall of fame together. They performed (and recorded) Light my Fire, Break on Through, and Roadhouse Blues.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • blindmuleblindmule Posts: 138
    polaris_x wrote:

Jim Morrison slept with Nico - who was a singer, on and off, in The Velvet Underground, etc in the 60's.
    Neko Case definitely wouldn't make sense... I'm not even sure she would have been alive to do it.

velvet-underground-and-nico.jpg

6a00d834e09d7169e20111689d4e06970c-800wi.jpg
    (Great album BTW)
  • Restless SoulRestless Soul Posts: 805
    edited May 2010
    Ahh... the Cult?!?

Right. They had two songs -- that sounded alike -- that were popular when I was a freshman in college.

That was a long time ago, boys and girls; my class's 20th reunion was this weekend.

So, now that my question has been answered, I have another one: Who cares what Ian Astbury thinks?? The title of this "news" story should have been "Nearly 25 years after he had a hit single, Ian Astbury struggles to keep his name in the news." I think we have given his opinions -- which, seriously, matter even less than those posted on here -- more than enough attention. If he is so desperate for media coverage, perhaps he should go join a reality show.

Haha, so bloody true - he's trying to get attention for himself and his bands by slagging off other, more famous (and better regarded) people, who he's probably jealous of, cos he knows it'll get him press coverage. What a trashy loser.
    Post edited by Restless Soul on
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

blindmule wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Jim Morrison slept with Nico - who was a singer, on and off, in The Velvet Underground, etc in the 60's.
    Neko Case definitely wouldn't make sense... I'm not even sure she would have been alive to do it.

velvet-underground-and-nico.jpg

6a00d834e09d7169e20111689d4e06970c-800wi.jpg
    (Great album BTW)
    That IS a great album. Also, on and off? I thought she was just there for that album and then was off.

EV
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    Back in the late 80's/early 90's The Cult put out some pretty good albums - Electric, Love and Sonic Temple are all worth a listen. It's a shame that Ian Astbury seems to talk shit in just about every interview since the 80s (not just this one), he is a pretty good singer but he's clearly still got the kind of "I coulda been a contender" attitude of people whose bands weren't as big as they could have been.

He does sing on the best track on Slash's new album though :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Passim wrote:
    Densmore says, "I play with Jim. If there's someone of that level, OK. I'm not gonna join them with Ian. That's not to diss Ian, he's a good singer - but he's no Jim Morrison. Eddie Vedder? My God, there's a singer."

My word...
    I mean, that just says it all right there, doesn't it?
    Hey Ian, get your head out of your...!
    8-)
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Who is this guy??? Never heard of this guy before now. It seems like this guy is a joke. Eddie obviously focuses on Pearl Jam and his family a lot. Dave Grohl is one busy dude and a fucking rocker!!

No one wants to see a Jim Morrison impersonator.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    nice little interview Ian...seems like you accomplished your goal... to get people to google your name to find out who the fuck you even are... just as i suspected... no one even remotley relevant.

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I don't really care what Ian Astbury thinks. Ed's dedication to Pearl Jam, the causes he supports, and his clear respect for his musical 'elders' (Pete, Springsteen, Neil...) speaks for itself.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Passim wrote:

Yes. They performed at the Rock and Roll hall of fame together. They performed (and recorded) Light my Fire, Break on Through, and Roadhouse Blues.

well everyone knows about that! But performing live and studio sessions are apples and oranges! :)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    this guy sounds like a massive douchebag piece of shit
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Laf9124Laf9124 Posts: 342
    You know, I saw that Doors tour back in the day. I got tickets to take my Dad, who was a big fan and never saw the originals. I remember sitting there and thinking how much better it'd have been if Eddie or Scott Weiland were up there singing. So while he makes absolutely no sense blasting the American singers he chose, a good point was made by him--it would've been a better experience for those who saw the shows if he had NOT shown up. Also, did anyone else get the vibe that maybe he was just bitter that he was seemingly their last choice to do those gigs? That's what I took from it.