Can you feel it?

on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,954
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Best moment of the three shows from last week, by far for me, was about 4 minutes into Corduroy at MSG 2.

The whole building was bouncing and Ed starts yelling "Can you feel it, Can you feel it?" and then lets out a scream as the band tears it up.

There just seemed to be so much energy and anticipation building up to that moment and it was like Ed was lighting the fuse on a stick of dynamite. The crowd was so loud at that point that you could barely hear the band. The boots will never do it justice, which is a shame, but I'll never forget it.

What a show. Thank you Pearl Jam :)
1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

My Favorite PJ song, at the best concert i've ever been to.
  • VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    It was a great way to start what turned out to be an amazing show!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    VinylGirl wrote:

I was just the opposite: i didn't really care for the Corduroy start. Not when i'm 0-20 with No Release!!
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    cutz wrote:
    VinylGirl wrote:

I was just the opposite: i didn't really care for the Corduroy start. Not when i'm 0-20 with No Release!!

Ya I would rather have just about anything over corduroy as an opener.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    Didn't care like you weren't clapping along or getting excited? I just don't get these posts. You are at a live Pearl Jam show.

cutz wrote:
    VinylGirl wrote:

www.cluthelee.com
  • arqarq Posts: 8,003
    I love to hear the first notes of corduroy as a opener! not as a second second song, Corduroy is one the the most awesome openers 8-)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Didn't care like you weren't clapping along or getting excited? I just don't get these posts. You are at a live Pearl Jam show.
    I always like having a traditional opener at shows only because you can't get them elsewhere in a show, but a few seconds after it I'm back into whatever it is... like 'dang... no opener... OK, here we go!'
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    drsluggo wrote:
    I always like having a traditional opener at shows only because you can't get them elsewhere in a show, but a few seconds after it I'm back into whatever it is... like 'dang... no opener... OK, here we go!'

Agreed, Corduroy has always bugged me since I got a bunch of 06 boots (thanks to My main man FenwayFaithfull, thanks bro!) because they ALWAYS play it in the first 5 songs, no matter what, or at least like 8/10 times, it's not the song it's the lack of suprise and excitement, when I listen to 03 and eairlyer shows and they play it late mid set or in the encores it's totally fine and I rock out to it.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    drsluggo wrote:

Yea, i was the same. I wanted to hear a opener i was dying to see. (traditional one like you said). But, i too, was into Corduroy a few seconds into it. Maybe you can understand the post now? Sorry i didn't explain it better> :lol:
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    on2legs wrote:
    Best moment of the three shows from last week, by far for me, was about 4 minutes into Corduroy at MSG 2.

The whole building was bouncing and Ed starts yelling "Can you feel it, Can you feel it?" and then lets out a scream as the band tears it up.

There just seemed to be so much energy and anticipation building up to that moment and it was like Ed was lighting the fuse on a stick of dynamite. The crowd was so loud at that point that you could barely hear the band. The boots will never do it justice, which is a shame, but I'll never forget it.

What a show. Thank you Pearl Jam :)

he did that at msg 2 2003 and it was my favorite version of corduroy. i think it was topped after lats week though...
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,830
    RiotZact wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

Agreed, Corduroy has always bugged me since I got a bunch of 06 boots (thanks to My main man FenwayFaithfull, thanks bro!) because they ALWAYS play it in the first 5 songs, no matter what, or at least like 8/10 times, it's not the song it's the lack of suprise and excitement, when I listen to 03 and eairlyer shows and they play it late mid set or in the encores it's totally fine and I rock out to it.

"The waiting drove me mad..." Makes sense when it's a "near-opener" as you've been waiting a long time to see the show again.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    I was there with my buddy that I used to work in a kitchen with. I got people hooked on live on 2 legs. Everynight we'd crank it for the dinner rush. Of course corduroy is the opener for that cd. When we heard the first few notes at MSG we shot each other a "fuck yea" look.
    And it was also his first time hearing it. Sometimes you gotta stop getting hung up on hoping for that one opener and just enjoy.

Oh and corduroy into hail hail is as good as it gets for me :)
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,954
    I try not to get too hung up on what they open with... my biggest concern is that I get a variety of openers if I'm seeing them multiple times.

For me, there are Pearl Jam moments that stick with me and you never know when or where they'll happen... like the Its Okay tag at Jones Beach in 2000 or Ed hanging from the mic cord in '98. And I always wonder when the next one will be. But the need for the next one to appear is a big part of why I keep going to multiple shows.

I just loved that confluence of the bouncing floor, with a crazed crowd, and Ed's reaction to it. It can't be recreated with a bootleg, but it still makes me smile thinking about.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Haha I could feel it. We went from 0 to 60 in .00001 secs. There was so much anticipation in that building that it had to be a rocker to release some of that energy. I don't think people could have kept quiet for a mellower opener. I stood still for a second though so I could feel the floor shake.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    here is an exceptional video of that opening moment.

( i found this on youtube , however i didnt shoot this video )

the " can you feel it " s are 4:13 in .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    best pearl jam i HAVE SEEN hands down and I have seen some good shows... from start to finish this was epic.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Thanks everyone for taking a cool post and turning it into a chance to bitch about set lists again...
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran