BP oil spill: Pearl Jam warned us in 2007

PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
edited May 2010 in The Porch
From Beatweek Magazine
http://www.beatweek.com/news/6320-bp-oi ... s-in-2007/

May 28, 2010
Pearl Jam’s societal protests have often come before the public was ready to hear them, and that’s turned out to be the case with the current BP oil spill, or at least BP as a company in general. Back at Lollapalooza in 2007, Pearl Jam was headlining the festival and in mid-set lead singer Eddie Vedder lectured the crowd about BP’s immorality, going so far as to lead the tens of thousands of onlookers in an anti-BP chant. Three years later, BP is public enemy number one after its careless (or worse) triggered what will end up being one of the biggest environmental disasters in history.

Previously, Vedder and Pearl Jam had gone out of their way to try to warn the public about then-President George W. Bush during his first term, including releasing an anti-Bush song, but the message went unheeded as Vedder was harshly criticized by the mainstream media and Bush was elected to a second term – which, coupled with his warning about BP, leads to the question of whether perhaps the world should be paying closer attention to Vedder’s societal warnings.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KCjamKCjam Posts: 135
    This is great.
    One of the main reasons that I have always loved PJ. They have always been outspoken on the political stuff. Especially Eddie. I cannot tell you how much I am constanly trying to defend basic human rights, freedom from judgement sterotypes etc. at work. My work is with people who are "conservative."I put conservative in parathesis for a reason (who knows what that means these days).!

But yea it is nice to know that Eddie speaks of it before it happens! He certainly has read Zinn's "People's HIstory"...Corporate profit no matter what!
  • PJGirl321 wrote:
    From Beatweek Magazine
    http://www.beatweek.com/news/6320-bp-oi ... s-in-2007/

May 28, 2010
    Pearl Jam’s societal protests have often come before the public was ready to hear them, and that’s turned out to be the case with the current BP oil spill, or at least BP as a company in general. Back at Lollapalooza in 2007, Pearl Jam was headlining the festival and in mid-set lead singer Eddie Vedder lectured the crowd about BP’s immorality, going so far as to lead the tens of thousands of onlookers in an anti-BP chant. Three years later, BP is public enemy number one after its careless (or worse) triggered what will end up being one of the biggest environmental disasters in history.

Previously, Vedder and Pearl Jam had gone out of their way to try to warn the public about then-President George W. Bush during his first term, including releasing an anti-Bush song, but the message went unheeded as Vedder was harshly criticized by the mainstream media and Bush was elected to a second term – which, coupled with his warning about BP, leads to the question of whether perhaps the world should be paying closer attention to Vedder’s societal warnings.

I remember that "song". "Say no to BP Amaco" or something to that effect. I remembered it after I heard about this oil catastrophe.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966

I remember that "song". "Say no to BP Amaco" or something to that effect. I remembered it after I heard about this oil catastrophe.

Dont Go BP Amaco i think it was....
  • UpSideDown wrote:

Dont Go BP Amaco i think it was....

THAT'S what it was!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Thanks for posting. Going back to 1995 with Ticketmaster fight etc... these guys are seldom wrong about issues... all they want is for people to think about what's happening around them once in awhile so we can prevent bad things from happening. I love this band- always will support them :!:
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Vedder for president is pretty much what we're getting at here right?
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Yeah, now only if eddie would quit smoking and make for an example......
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    force-10 wrote:
    Yeah, now only if eddie would quit smoking

+1

Would hate to lose him to cancer.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    his rant was about them dumping toxic chemicals into lake Michigan, nothing to do with oil spills. BP has a refinery up there. I have gone to BP once since the show though, and only because I was on fumes and that is the only gas station for miles.

I hate them even more now (the company not the people)

I agree with the smoking thing too + 2
    Not only becuase of his health. The industry provides millions of jobs worldwide, but they also kill triple. I know, it´s the smoker´s choice. But the suits and ties don´t give a rat´s ass.
  • Wow - maybe they can give me the winning numbers in the lotto.
    If they had the talent to know winning numbers, it would be their choice to share. I never insist people to quit smoking. It´s each one´s choice. But when anyone quits smoking, or starts smoking less, it´s always for better.