Options

Seattle

veddergirl232veddergirl232 Posts: 157
edited June 2010 in The Porch
This doesn't really have much to do with PJ, but I'm going to Seattle this weekend for a few days....is there anyone from there who has any ideas on cool sights to see etc...? I saw that there is some Nirvana/Kurt exhibit at the SAM museum.....anyone aware of any other cool grunge related historical music scenes to check out there? I was trying to see if there was anything related to Pearl Jam but couldn't really find much .Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
"If you knew me you wouldn't love me"- EV April 17, 1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,789
    Experienced music project by Seattle center is a must IMO :D
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    glorified Kglorified K Posts: 66
    it's kinda goofy, but riding the ducks will allow you to see the city and may give you some ideas for things to do on your own.
  • Options
    it's kinda goofy, but riding the ducks will allow you to see the city and may give you some ideas for things to do on your own.

thanks. I heard about that...!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited May 2010
    West Seattle & Capitol Hill (there's a cool Jimi Hendrix statue here) are FUN!!
    Just walking on the beach in West Seattle is a blast.
    If you're hungry, try Poppy on Cap Hill...Excellent food & drinks!!
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Also...I know it's not music related, but If you're into wine at all, you should definitely head over (about a 15 minute drive) to Woodinville!!!
    Some of the best Washington State wineries have GREAT tasting rooms here.
    Don't miss Matthews, Novelty Hill / Januik, Delille and the granddaddy of Washington Wineries...
    Chateau Ste Michelle.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    Places to see? What about all Seattle!!! Man that's a beautiful city!!! the people is very polite, the architecture is great, the weather (believe it or not) is wonderful, what's not to love :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    THE PINK DOOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in post alley
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    THE CRAB POT! Down on the waterfront behind Pike Place Market. Neatest eating experience. They give you a bib, a mallet and turn over a bowl of steamed seafood, corn and potatoes on your table and you go to TOWN. So much fun! Just be ready to wait an hour to get in (sit in the bar, the time flies) it's ALWAYS busy.
    http://www.thecrabpotseattle.com/
    When were were there last weekend for the poster show, we also did the Underground Tour. It was unreal.
    http://undergroundtour.com/
    We were going to hit the Absinthe bar, but never got around to it.
    http://thecancan.com/

Hope that helps!
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    THE CRAB POT!
    +100000000 This place is where I want my last meal.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    you could always drive around looking for ed....perhaps if you find him you can kiss his hand.....or he could kiss yours. i'm not sure how that works.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    I'm trying to think of the name of the greasy spoon around the corner from Easy Street Records on Queen Anne. After Seattle I in '09, a bunch of us went there after McHurley's was shut and I had the BEST oatmeal of my life. Ok, maybe that's not saying much, but measured on a scale of oatmeal and other hot-style cereals, this was superb. Nnnerd.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    you could always drive around looking for ed....perhaps if you find him you can kiss his hand.....or he could kiss yours. i'm not sure how that works.

Now THIS is what I'm talkin' about!! ;)
  • Options
    Try Easy Street Records in West Seattle. The Vinyl is upstairs and it's where Ed shops.

While in West Seattle head down to the Fauntleroy Ferry Dock and you can see the waters where Ed paddles about with reporters from Spin Magazine

You could go to Magnuson Park where the Soundgarden sculpture is (where they got the name) and I believe where they filmed the Hunger Strike video

A few ideas.........
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    Try Easy Street Records in West Seattle. The Vinyl is upstairs and it's where Ed shops.

While in West Seattle head down to the Fauntleroy Ferry Dock and you can see the waters where Ed paddles about with reporters from Spin Magazine

You could go to Magnuson Park where the Soundgarden sculpture is (where they got the name) and I believe where they filmed the Hunger Strike video

A few ideas.........

Oh, thanks very much! Now if only I could run into him , I would be very happy 8-)
  • Options
    Laf9124Laf9124 Posts: 342
    Thanks for posting this topic. I'm heading out Seattle way in July for the first time in way too long, and was wondering what was worth seeing and not. Is there a great difference between the two Easy Street Records? I've heard about the one more in West Seattle. Thanks!
  • Options
    Laf9124Laf9124 Posts: 342
    Laf9124 wrote:
    Thanks for posting this topic. I'm heading out Seattle way in July for the first time in way too long, and was wondering what was worth seeing and not. Is there a great difference between the two Easy Street Records? I've heard about the one more in West Seattle. Thanks!
    West Seattle is smaller but much more awesome I think. All the great in-stores over the years have been in West Seattle. But QA is bigger and has better selection. I spent a whole bunch of time and money in both when I went out there. Nice people.
    Great, thanks Fenway! Appreciate it.
  • Options
    MDMMDM Posts: 64
    Oh, this is just perfect! I am going to Seattle in late June and I am traveling alone, so no idea of what I am doing, but REALLY looking forward to it! :mrgreen: More tips would be highly appreciated, and also, will I need a car or there's a good public transportation system? Any more solo travelers or locals who would want to meet by any chance?
  • Options
    MDM wrote:
    Oh, this is just perfect! I am going to Seattle in late June and I am traveling alone, so no idea of what I am doing, but REALLY looking forward to it! :mrgreen: More tips would be highly appreciated, and also, will I need a car or there's a good public transportation system? Any more solo travelers or locals who would want to meet by any chance?

When in June are you going? I'll be there 'till the 3rd. I am renting a car with my friend which is something I have never done before when going to Seattle. Been there 3 times already, my first time when I was 14 in 1994 to see Pearl Jam and Nirvana! I think if you plan to stay in the downtown area you don't need a car, but if you have a car, you can actually go to other parts of Washington which is nice...I'm staying at the Hotel Max...never stayed there before so that should be fun, I heard good things about it. I want to go to see some pearl jam sites....was hoping for a PJ or Eddie museum of some sort ;)
  • Options
    Oh, nooo, I am going on the 28th of June... I am staying at some random hostel on 2nd ave, so I guess I won't be needing a car. I'll think about it though, depends on how it goes since I am only staying for 5 days and heading to San Fran after. Or maybe I'll just stay in Seattle, who knows! Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    -
    Post edited by MDM on
  • Options
    For music-related spots, I made sure to hit both Easy Street records, the EMP, the Showbox at the market, Benaroya Hall, and Jimi Hendrix grave. We also went to the park overlooking the house where Kurt killed himself. Crazy shit.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    For music-related spots, I made sure to hit both Easy Street records, the EMP, the Showbox at the market, Benaroya Hall, and Jimi Hendrix grave. We also went to the park overlooking the house where Kurt killed himself. Crazy shit.

Where is the park where he killed himself? I wanna see that....isn't Kurt buried in Seattle? if anyone knows any places (restaurants, parks, anything) that Eddie goes to, please do tell! ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    -
    Post edited by MDM on
  • Options
    MDM wrote:
    Thanks, Fenway! Hahahaha, Alison, I hear you! I am afraid these guys will still be in Europe by the time I hit Seattle though. Grrr! But still, it would cool to know where they hang out. :) I can always make it back for the anniversary, which will also be my bday, hehe.

If I was there around the same time as you I would have said we could have met up...I actually travel a lot for my job and last year in April I was there for almost a week, by myself...sucks sometimes to have to travel alone. yes, i used to be a major Eddie fan (and still am). I would love to just pass him in the street one day and we lock eyes and he kisses me .....oh my.....that has been my dream for as long as I can remember....
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    -
    Post edited by MDM on
  • Options
    Hey, I live in NY too...right in the city!! How cool...which part are you in?? I would grab Eddie first!! haha, he is such a sexy man...yum yum yum. He did write a letter from me in 1994 and gave me tickets to his concert at the paramount theater in 1994...I am so grateful for that and always wanted to meet him and thank him!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So funny you live in NY too! I do live right in the city as well!
    Post edited by MDM on
  • Options

Where is the park where he killed himself? I wanna see that....isn't Kurt buried in Seattle? if anyone knows any places (restaurants, parks, anything) that Eddie goes to, please do tell! ;)
    I have no sense of direction, especially someplace I've only been once (I'm sure locals on this board can help with that), but I do know that the house is overlooking Lake Washington. There's a park right next to it where the vigil was held, if you remember watching MTV in April 94 (there was also a much larger vigil at Seattle Center), complete with benches where people have carved quotes from Kurt to pay their respects. Really sad and kinda spooky.

Kurt was cremated and the ashes were spread in Olympia, WA by his daughter Frances.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Hey, I live in NY too...right in the city!! How cool...which part are you in?? I would grab Eddie first!! haha, he is such a sexy man...yum yum yum. He did write a letter from me in 1994 and gave me tickets to his concert at the paramount theater in 1994...I am so grateful for that and always wanted to meet him and thank him!!

wow.. well i hope one day you get to thank him! Thats pretty fn cool that he did that....
  • Options
    There have been plenty of threads on this topic in the past as well so do a search and you may dig up plenty of other great ideas and places to visit...
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran