the movie 2012

pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
okay, so I finally caved in and saw it for the first time last night. :shock: great special effects, storyline, and all that. of course its elaborated and not entirely realistic.
talked to a friend today whose dad is an earthquake scientist, and I guess they both sort of believe something similar--maybe a fraction of the events--could actually happen more realistically around 2030 or so.

what does everyone think of the movie and/or the end of the world?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 752
    2010, watch it go to fire
    It's evolution, baby
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,696
    Saw the movie, was alright....wouldn't rush to see it again. Thought the ending was really stupid.
    I think there is the possibility something could happen in the future due to natural disasters, earthquakes, flooding, fires, etc. But don't think its gonna happen in 2012 though.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I thought the movie was OK.... until the last 35 minutes or so. Then it kind of went a direction that I thought was weak compared to where it should have gone
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I thought the movie was OK.... until the last 35 minutes or so. Then it kind of went a direction that I thought was weak compared to where it should have gone

I see a lot of movies like that, Its like they were writing and then remembered it had to end because its a movie. But scientists do say that at the end of 2012 we will most likely get a solar flare that will "suckerpunch" our electric system
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this movie was awful imo ... i like as much fluff as the next guy ... but it asked waaaaay too much ... like how many cussin' times were they a nano-inch away from death ... between driving to the airport with the road collapsing ... to just getting off the ground ... to just missing a building ... to just missing this ... to just finding out where everyone was meeting ... and so on ... awful awful awful ... then the whole bit at the end was awful ...

as far as earthquakes go ... we are seeing more and more these days ... i think drilling for oil is a factor as we are taking a lot of the lubricant out of the plates ... i can see how a major quake in one zone can trigger another and another ... but what happens in the movie would be suspect i think ...
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I still want to see it... :)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I still want to see it... :)
    Don't wish for something you'll regret. Hollywood at it's worse.

Polaris_x first para in the post above yours says it all.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I still want to see it too. I'm easy on movies though not much of a critic.
    Will light up a fatty, grab my bottle of red and take in the special disaster effects on the plasma.
    Not a bad way to spend an evening. Hopefully there will be a hero, I like heroes. I really miss Arnold.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    eyed's thoughts on the subject... (also from Knee-Deep)

I am looking forward to
    Yellowstone lodge
    Winding up on the moon
    Tsunamis flooding corn fields
    An entire planet turned inside out
    Or at least a cult celebrating
    Crystal therapy Tuesdays
    Flying saucers in mossy skies
    Bigfoot revealed
    As Elvis unshaven
    And the four syrups
    Of the apocalypse
    Slowly
    Dripping over us

It will only happen
    Once
    So we might as well
    Fertilize the hysteria
    And hope
    Come January
    We are not overly
    Disappointed
    When we wake up
    Throw on our costumes
    And shuffle off to work
    Like nothing happened
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    polaris_x wrote:
    this movie was awful imo ... i like as much fluff as the next guy ... but it asked waaaaay too much ... like how many cussin' times were they a nano-inch away from death ... between driving to the airport with the road collapsing ... to just getting off the ground ... to just missing a building ... to just missing this ... to just finding out where everyone was meeting ... and so on ... awful awful awful ... then the whole bit at the end was awful ...

as far as earthquakes go ... we are seeing more and more these days ... i think drilling for oil is a factor as we are taking a lot of the lubricant out of the plates ... i can see how a major quake in one zone can trigger another and another ... but what happens in the movie would be suspect i think ...

yeah, I agree that those close calls were a bit annoying after awhile.

drilling in the earth really is an unnatural thing. I think we need to be concerned about the earth's core just as much as about all the other resources.
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyed's thoughts on the subject... (also from Knee-Deep)

I am looking forward to
    Yellowstone lodge
    Winding up on the moon
    Tsunamis flooding corn fields
    An entire planet turned inside out
    Or at least a cult celebrating
    Crystal therapy Tuesdays
    Flying saucers in mossy skies
    Bigfoot revealed
    As Elvis unshaven
    And the four syrups
    Of the apocalypse
    Slowly
    Dripping over us

It will only happen
    Once
    So we might as well
    Fertilize the hysteria
    And hope
    Come January
    We are not overly
    Disappointed
    When we wake up
    Throw on our costumes
    And shuffle off to work
    Like nothing happened

:clap::lol: :thumbup:

"throw on our costumes and shuffle off to work like nothing happened"--good line
    I see a lot of movies like that, Its like they were writing and then remembered it had to end because its a movie. But scientists do say that at the end of 2012 we will most likely get a solar flare that will "suckerpunch" our electric system

yikes! I better stock up on some candles and flashlights then. :D
    I love how Woody Harrelson always plays the crazy dudes. He does it so well. :D love you Woody--you rock!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We rented it Friday night. We both really liked it, of course I like the love conquers all, even death, theme. The special effects were awesome and the storyline good I thought. I liked the ending very much, a hopeful one with the little family reunited. All in all :thumbup: