It's official: Caps vs Pens at Heinz Field on New Year's Day

aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 2,026
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I know people will be pissed, but this event has always been about the ratings and appealing to casual fans so this makes perfect sense. The ratings were down last year because at the time the Flyers and Bruins weren't playing very well and neither of them have any true "stars" to speak of.

Let the backlash begin... NOW!

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10147/106 ... z0pAW2kvNc
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    um. yay,...... more penguins

after the game im sure they will take their permanent spot on versus and nbc.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I thought these things were held in baseball parks? Fenway, Wrigley, etc. What's wrong with PNC Park? That park is the one thing the Pirates organization can't trade away!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Yeah. its pretty realistic the Steelers will make the playoffs and host a game. With Buffalo, i would say they were pretty safe planning an event and 2 week long install around New year's.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,814
    I missed the last 2. I was hoping for the Rangers at Yankee Stadium.
    I miss igotid88
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I thought these things were held in baseball parks? Fenway, Wrigley, etc. What's wrong with PNC Park? That park is the one thing the Pirates organization can't trade away!

I agree, I thought the baseball thing was cooler, or at least some sort of stadium near a major city.
  • aneutronbombaneutronbomb Posts: 787
    pnc wont hold enough, im sure they plan to sell a ton of tix

while id love to be there, im sure i will be out of town as is my nye tradition (phish)
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    maybe the leauge should take a page from the NFL's book and give the Champion a special night. NFL opens with the defending champion on thursday night, why not give the stanley cup champion the winter classic as a reward
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    ^i like that

even if it has to be well out of market for the defending champ, its a great notion
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    ^i like that

even if it has to be well out of market for the defending champ, its a great notion

play it in the home market....if they can do rinks in vegas, they can do them any place
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    ok, i hear ya, indoor can be just as special too on new years day yer sayin...

outdoor or its nothin, nhl can have a dozen games on new years day if they want...winter classic
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    igotid88 wrote:
    I was hoping for the Rangers at Yankee Stadium.

me too. when is NY finally going to get a crack?

enough with the penguins already. :roll:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    igotid88 wrote:

another hung over new years day with the crybaby :evil:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    at least we get to see Ovechkin disappear in another big game.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825

I would assume more seats at Heinz Field? But, I am shocked the Steelers are allowing that when there could potentially be a playoff game around then. That field will be destroyed. And isn't that field already one of the worst in the NFL??
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895

I would assume more seats at Heinz Field? But, I am shocked the Steelers are allowing that when there could potentially be a playoff game around then. That field will be destroyed. And isn't that field already one of the worst in the NFL??

The chances of us making the playoffs this year took a big nosedive back in April. The field has got better, and I don't know if there will be any seating on the field, might just be in the stands.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    igotid88 wrote:

Here's my idea I sent to my friend who's a big shot in the NHL. I told him to do a wild, crazy event like this. The 2 teams- NY Rangers vs Maple Leafs. The catch, make it a home and home series. Game 1 held in Toronto on dec.30. Then you use dec.31 as a travel day and both teams get to enjoy celebrating new years in the "city" of the world. Then the main winter classic will be played on new years day in the big apple! Wouldve been sick to have it played at old Yankee stadium but that's to late now. Crazy idea but man how sick would that be. It's original and both teams are original 6 teams. New York definitely needs to host this game. Canada's been crying for one to so you're knocking 2 birds with one stone. Oh I also told him I'd do EVERYTHING in my power to have pearl jam play at that game. Shit maybe pj can play MSG on new years eve too!!! Phish can play Nassau instead cuz MSG is pj's second home...... :mrgreen:
  • Calgary is hosting Montreal outdoors in February...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=c ... me-3485512
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    igotid88 wrote:
    I missed the last 2. I was hoping for the Rangers at Yankee Stadium.

heard Bettman on WFAN yesterday with Francessa,

Bettman shot this down right away for this year, said maybe next year .

And, arent the Rangers affilated more with NY Mets / Citi Field ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life