underrated managers and coaches

m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
NHL - Lindey Ruff
NFL- Ken Whisenhunt
MLB- Joe Maddon
NBA - ??
Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I'm gonna throw Barry Trotz on there to for the NHL. He gets some recognition around the league, but he seems to always get his team to play without having the best players.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Ron Gardenhire of the Twins is by far the most underrated manager in MLB. They've won the division 5 times in his 8 seasons (and might win another this year without their stud closer)...However, he has never won manager of the year. He has five runner-up finishes for the award, tied for the most all-time (2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009). And he has essentially done so with a different cast of characters each year.

To me, that's the definition of underrated.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
    MLB = Bud Black w/ San Diego Padres

Everyone picked them to finish last in the NL West and now they're tied with the Yankees for the 2nd best record in MLB (they have the overall best record in the NL).

The Padres have no superstars and they have the 2nd lowest payroll in MLB. Speed, pitching, defense, and playing in Petco Park have their perks for sure.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I'll throw in Alvin Gentry for the NBA. He's done pretty damn will with Phoenix this year...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Jerry Sloan

I know he never won a championship but a lot of guys suffered from the ole "got there and lost to the Bulls." I was really impressed that even after the retirement of both Stockton and Malone, they continued to be a playoff team...including the very next year if I'm not mistaken.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Jerry Sloan

I know he never won a championship but a lot of guys suffered from the ole "got there and lost to the Bulls." I was really impressed that even after the retirement of both Stockton and Malone, they continued to be a playoff team...including the very next year if I'm not mistaken.

Even though he has no rings to boast it, Sloan is a great coach. Like you said, he's had a playoff team for nearly his entire stint with the Utah Jazz excluding maybe 2 seasons during the rebuilding period after Stockton and Malone left.

He probably won't win a ring...but he'll go down as a very successful coach. It'll just add to the list of basketball greats who never won a title...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • BronyBrony Posts: 631
    la russa and torre
    phil
    shannahan
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    m0jorisen wrote:
    NHL - Lindey Ruff
    NFL- Ken Whisenhunt
    MLB- Joe Maddon
    NBA - ??

KFC - Steve, the night manager...if corporate doesn't step-up, they could lose him to Popeye's.
    Is this all we can come up with? I feel like there are others we're missing...
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I'd like to nominate Gene Hackman as Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers. Now that's an underrated coach.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    Ron Gardenhire of the Twins is by far the most underrated manager in MLB. They've won the division 5 times in his 8 seasons (and might win another this year without their stud closer)...However, he has never won manager of the year. He has five runner-up finishes for the award, tied for the most all-time (2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009). And he has essentially done so with a different cast of characters each year.

To me, that's the definition of underrated.

It pains me to say this since I absolutely hate the Twins, but I have to agree. Gardenhire is awesome and he does more with less than anybody in this league. I can't believe he has never won manager of the year...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    Larry Brown - yes I know lots of people think he is great but I still think he is underrated. Only current coach to have major success in both college and pros. has won everywhere. he is annoying and grating but the man can flat out coach.

Peter Laviolette - won a cup in Carolina and on the doorstep with the Flyers. As a Flyers fan have been very impressed from day 1 with Peter.

Jeff Fisher - does a darn good job year in and year out.

college coaches: Thad Matta, Bruce Pearl, Lorenzo Romar