Which show had the "rarest" setlist this tour?

Backstop-440Backstop-440 Posts: 93
edited May 2010 in The Porch
If you were a huge nerd, you might plug in all the setlists and chart out how many times each song had been played. And then if you were an even bigger nerd you might average all that out and figure out which show had the least-played setlist and the most-played.

You might come up with something like Newark 5/18 being the least-played show (average song had 135 live plays lifetime) and Kansas City 5/3 being the most-played (average song played 204 times).

And then if that big nerd looked at just this year's tour, you might break that down further and see how many times the songs were played. Like you'd notice that Alive, Just Breathe, and The Fixer were played at every show. And Do the Evolution, Got Some, and Even Flow were played at all but one show. How do you get a PJ show without Even Flow? Ask MSG2.

Such a gigantic nerd might also notice that New Orleans 5/1 had the most common setlist of the tour (songs played and average of 6.64 times this tour) , and Boston 5/17 had the least common setlist this tour (4.91 times) - just edging out MSG1 (4.94). Buffalo 5/10 and Boston both had six songs that were not played anywhere else on tour. No show went without getting a song that was played no where else.

What a mammoth nerd that would be.
"Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,647
    Good work that was good info! Thanks!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • pearljamnewfpearljamnewf Posts: 233
    Only super nerds would be interested and thinking that was pretty damn kool. :shock:
  • If you were a huge nerd, you might plug in all the setlists and chart out how many times each song had been played. And then if you were an even bigger nerd you might average all that out and figure out which show had the least-played setlist and the most-played.

You might come up with something like Newark 5/18 being the least-played show (average song had 135 live plays lifetime) and Kansas City 5/3 being the most-played (average song played 204 times).

And then if that big nerd looked at just this year's tour, you might break that down further and see how many times the songs were played. Like you'd notice that Alive, Just Breathe, Even Flow, and The Fixer were played at every show. And Do the Evolution, Got Some, and Even Flow were played at all but one show. How do you get a PJ show without Even Flow? Ask MSG2.

Such a gigantic nerd might also notice that New Orleans 5/1 had the most common setlist of the tour (songs played and average of 6.64 times this tour) , and Boston 5/17 had the least common setlist this tour (4.91 times) - just edging out MSG1 (4.94). Buffalo 5/10 and Boston both had six songs that were not played anywhere else on tour. No show went without getting a song that was played no where else.

May want to edit that.

For all the nerds out there. :D
  • JoeTzuJoeTzu Posts: 88
    Thanks for doing the math for me, now what am I to do this weekend.
    A spoiler alert would've been nice. :ugeek:
    Tickle my nausea
  • Thanks, I knew something like that would happen. It's a little weird, Even Flow has the highest "played" score of all so you would think it was on the "every time ever" list but I guess not.

I was worried about what to do with the pre-show stuff in Columbus but it turns out it didn't tip the balance either way.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    How do you get a PJ show without Even Flow? Ask MSG2.

I've been to 9 shows without Even Flow. It's not like they play it every night - it just seems that way. I've gotten Alive every show but 7.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    this is scary but very interesting. at least I now know I am only a geek as I suck at math and would never be able to figure this out. all this time I thought I was a nerd and a geek.
  • If you were a huge nerd, you might plug in all the setlists and chart out how many times each song had been played. And then if you were an even bigger nerd you might average all that out and figure out which show had the least-played setlist and the most-played.

And then if that big nerd looked at just this year's tour, you might break that down further and see how many times the songs were played. Like you'd notice that Alive, Just Breathe, and The Fixer were played at every show. And Do the Evolution, Got Some, and Even Flow were played at all but one show. How do you get a PJ show without Even Flow? Ask MSG2.

PJ played "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" in Hartford(OTOTO). That's a song that was never played anywhere else.
    Everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    If you were a huge nerd, you might plug in all the setlists and chart out how many times each song had been played. And then if you were an even bigger nerd you might average all that out and figure out which show had the least-played setlist and the most-played.

I wish i was NERDY enough to figure that out, or smart enough ;) Some interesting stats. One would've thought that MSG 2 had the rarest show.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I think I have seen DTE and Alive more than Even Flow.
  • Thanks! Such interesting info!
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    I like stats. They make me horny... :o

Good work though. I haven't gotten a show without evenflow yet. Also I've been to 5 straight shows now with no YLB though... starting to miss it... :D
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    Solat13 wrote:
    How do you get a PJ show without Even Flow? Ask MSG2.

I've been to 9 shows without Even Flow. It's not like they play it every night - it just seems that way. I've gotten Alive every show but 7.

Meet the fan who has been to 33,648 shows. :lol:
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • BigairbruceyBigairbrucey Posts: 141
    I've only been to 4 shows and Even Flow was only played once...I have never seen a show with out Better man or Alive
    Reading PA 2004
    Virginia Beach outside in the grass 2008
    Philly Spectrum night 2 2009
    New York MSG night 2 2010
    Montreal Bell Centre 2011
  • No show went without getting a song that was played no where else.
    PJ played "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" in Hartford(OTOTO). That's a song that was never played anywhere else.
    Agreed, I meant that every show this tour had at least one song that was not played anywhere else on the tour. I re-wrote that sentence about ten times trying to say the right thing. Other songs that appeared for the very first time this tour: Goin' Back to Indiana, and the pre-open at Columbus of Dead Flow and That's All Right.

MSG2 had the largest number (four) of songs that have been played 10 times or less, so it could be considered the "rarest" show. But the average was raised by the big set of mega-hits, they played 9 songs that they've played 300+ times before. Only Kansas City had more 300+ played songs, and for KC the set-list was shorter and had no songs that were played less than 10 times. The "rarest" song at KC was Johnny Guitar, which of course is a pretty new tune.

Also BTW I used the set-lists from here, Wikipedia has a bunch of other cover tunes but I have a hard time saying PJ played "Heaven and Hell" for example when it was ten bars worked into a guitar solo.