Options

Does PJ dislike "Breath"?

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I mean, they neglected it from Ten and Vs. and then went a few years without playing it live. And now its only played every once in a while. Why would a band do this to a song so universally loved by irs fans? Its not like it had Creep/Teen Spirit syndrome, where the band played it so much they hated it. I guess because they don't play it often makes it even more of an awesome song?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Wasn't it originally written as a MLB song? If so, they may take a Red Hot Chili Peppers approach were they don't play anything from the periods JF was not a part of the band. Possibly some sort of unwritten rule in the musicians code...
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    MCG wrote:
    Wasn't it originally written as a MLB song? If so, they may take a Red Hot Chili Peppers approach were they don't play anything from the periods JF was not a part of the band. Possibly some sort of unwritten rule in the musicians code...
    They still play Crown of Thorns though...

Well, RHCP only doesn't play OHM songs as that was a dark period in John's life. One of the fewthings that annoys me about RHCP seeing as OHM was kick ass.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    Murderers wrote:
    They still play Crown of Thorns though...

Well, RHCP only doesn't play OHM songs as that was a dark period in John's life. One of the fewthings that annoys me about RHCP seeing as OHM was kick ass.

That was the 1 and only time i did see RHCP, in 1996, touring OHM.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Murderers wrote:

Dark yes, but I think the main reason is because he wasn't in the band for that album.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    they play it sometimes I dont think so, honestly
    sometimes it depends if its mint and freshy, or garlic or onions.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I don't mind it being a rarity. It makes the hope and reward of hearing it greater. Speaking of hope, I'm hoping for a reprise of Breath , followed by Tremor Christ, in Camden. Like night 1 in 2000.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    Dark yes, but I think the main reason is because he wasn't in the band for that album.
    Well, they play Hillel era songs. It's mainly because John doesn't like OHM. But anyways, to stay on topic; I think Breath is just one of those songs that they don't play often as it would ruin it. I mean, everybody wants to hear it at a PJ concert. It keeps it special.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    well, i only saw PJ twice and they played it both times! guess i'm lucky.
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    stone doesn't like playing it live. i think it is one of the more difficult songs to pull off live because of the timing.
    Ahh, makes sense.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,880
    breath track played live in halifax, '05 style! :)
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    BeerBaron wrote:
    stone doesn't like playing it live. i think it is one of the more difficult songs to pull off live because of the timing.
    yeah, I remember jones beach 2000, when Ed said "stone has the guts to arrive here in a helicopter, but he doesn't have the guts to play Breath" or something along those lines.
  • Options
    webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    is it the same sort of reason they dont play WMA? Matt can't handle the drumming?
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    webberf1 wrote:
    is it the same sort of reason they dont play WMA? Matt can't handle the drumming?

i hope you're joking.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    BeerBaron wrote:

Umm, not really. Quite an easy song to play.

As for the Jones Beach reference....

Stone didn't want to play it because he was worried about how tight the band would sound playing it. It was a little sloppy during the soundcheck that day, and when Ed said he (stone) didn't have the guts to play it, it is more likely because Mr. President of Pearl Jam, Stone, didn't feel like the band could completely "kick it!"

As for Mankind....he knows it's a joke :)

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Umm, not really. Quite an easy song to play.

As for the Jones Beach reference....

Stone didn't want to play it because he was worried about how tight the band would sound playing it. It was a little sloppy during the soundcheck that day, and when Ed said he (stone) didn't have the guts to play it, it is more likely because Mr. President of Pearl Jam, Stone, didn't feel like the band could completely "kick it!"

As for Mankind....he knows it's a joke :)

-Seth
    ah, got it. thanks.
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    it's a great song. remember all the hype in 1998? they finally played it at msg2 that year and everyone was so excited(as was i). but when i listen to the boot, they definitely sounded like they should have practiced it a bit more!

was still great to see. i still have my BREATH sign~
  • Options
    I think we'll get to hear a good mix of rarities and staples. Me thinks this tour is going to be like the VFC tours a few years back. I wouldn't mind some Tremor Christ, In My Tree, Who You Are, etc... Breath live does kick ass, though.
    For Rent
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I asked Ed and he said to stop fucking speculating!
  • Options
    webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    chopitdown wrote:
    i hope you're joking.
    It's true though. Same sort of thing with In My Tree, he can't do the drumming anywhere near as awesomely as Jack. This aint all to say i dislike Matt btw, because i freakin love him, but the drumming for songs like WMA & In My Tree DO NOT suit his style at all, and he's not that good at them.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    webberf1 wrote:

WMA has almost never been played live in its entirety. I don't think it's because no one can drum it correctly.

It's more likely because they just don't want to play it live.

Same for Breath.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I like the fact that it's a rarity...but damn... I wanna hear it at Mansfield!
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    BeerBaron wrote:

yeah, it's stones fault...
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    given2fly10given2fly10 Posts: 485
    "stone has the guts to arrive here in a helicopter, but he doesn't have the guts to play Breath" or something along .
    should i tell you the song ed doesnt wanna play, ummmmm thankfully we play the next song together

love that banter between ed and stone from that concert :o

they should play breath and wma this tour. we should piss em off and make signs everynight for them to play wma
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Does PJ dislike "Breath"?

only if it is bad..............

:)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    WMA has almost never been played live in its entirety. I don't think it's because no one can drum it correctly.

It's more likely because they just don't want to play it live.

Same for Breath.

Atlanta 94. ;)

But yeah, bring back WMA and Who You Are for this tour.