Arizona Recommendations

loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
The Summer Vacations thread got me thinking about this, so I'm looking for your help if you've been to AZ or are from around there.

We're heading to Tempe in August, and plan on going to the Grand Canyon for a day or two. Other than that, we don't have much planned. Maybe hit up the Hoover Dam and head over to Vegas.

Any recommendations for must see attractions, places to eat, etc.?
Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JoeTzuJoeTzu Posts: 88
    I hear the border is a popular place. :P
    Tickle my nausea
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    about an hour south of Phoenix is a the bio dome. if you are in the area, it's pretty cool
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    JoeTzu wrote:
    I hear the border is a popular place. :P

:lol::lol: very good!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Mission San Xavier de Bac....Just south of Tucson
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I have a recommendation. Don't go to Arizona in August! Are you crazy?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    eyedclaar wrote:

:lol:

true
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    I concur. My wife is going for work, so I’m going to tag along just for a vaca. Never been west of the Mississippi, so it should be an experience. I actually really enjoy the heat.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Make sure your paperwork is up-to-date... lol
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    unless you are experienced hiker - just stay on the rim at the grand canyon ... don't start heading down ...

i hope you like triple digit heat cuz that's what it's gonna feel like there - there are like no trees for shade there ...
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    polaris_x wrote:
    unless you are experienced hiker - just stay on the rim at the grand canyon ... don't start heading down ...

i hope you like triple digit heat cuz that's what it's gonna feel like there - there are like no trees for shade there ...

If he's a slim fellow he'l be just fine right next a cactus tree. I'll be in Phoenix in June-July for 2-3 weeks with a stop at the Grand Canyon.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    g under p wrote:
    If he's a slim fellow he'l be just fine right next a cactus tree. I'll be in Phoenix in June-July for 2-3 weeks with a stop at the Grand Canyon.

Peace

i've seen many people head down there not prepared and they pay the price ... the park staff will charge you an arm and a leg for any kind of assistance ...
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    eyedclaar wrote:

Exactly. It's going to be unbelievably hot.

Enjoy it nonetheless...but be prepared for some of the most intense heat ever.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    loadedgun wrote:
    I actually really enjoy the heat.

This will be a new kind of heat, I promise you.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    loadedgun wrote:

are you a reptile?
    norm wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:

are you a reptile?

or a tarantula?? ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Clearly I know not what I'm getting myself into. Makes it all the more interesting.

I was originally planning on heading down the Canyon, but my wife gets sun burnt when she looks outside, so that is probably out of the question.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Don't look Hispanic...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    loadedgun wrote:
    Clearly I know not what I'm getting myself into. Makes it all the more interesting.

I was originally planning on heading down the Canyon, but my wife gets sun burnt when she looks outside, so that is probably out of the question.

I used to play basketball in 100 + temps outside on black asphalt for a couple hours every day and often times wound up puking and weak afterwards and that was with plenty of water available. What you are planning is much worse than that. Make good decisions. It didn't take the heat too long to kill a UFC fighter a year or two ago, not in the same area, but same idea.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:

I used to play basketball in 100 + temps outside on black asphalt for a couple hours every day and often times wound up puking and weak afterwards and that was with plenty of water available. What you are planning is much worse than that. Make good decisions. It didn't take the heat too long to kill a UFC fighter a year or two ago, not in the same area, but same idea.

I remember that story. Anyways, yeah, I've never been to the Grand Canyon, but I know it's an potentially fatal place in the summer. I'm sure they'll have information on all the precautions to take as a beginner. Enough of this negativity though, have an awesome trip! 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    Where exactly are you going to be?

I can give you some things to do/places to check out. AZ is great for all kinds of outdoor stuff...too bad you are coming when you are because it's gonna be scorching hot then! :D
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    81 wrote:
    about an hour south of Phoenix is a the bio dome. if you are in the area, it's pretty cool
    1222895172371_11_BioDome_mif_290_210.jpg
    This weekend we rock Portland
    mca47 wrote:
    Where exactly are you going to be?

I can give you some things to do/places to check out. AZ is great for all kinds of outdoor stuff...too bad you are coming when you are because it's gonna be scorching hot then! :D

We're staying in Tempe the first couple nights, then off to the Canyon. But we don't have anything planned yet and aren't opposed to traveling for it.

I'll be on my own during the day Thursday/Friday, so if you know of any good places to eat/drink I'd appreciate it.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I was out there in July last year, yes its hot as hell, but its a dry heat :roll:

47dbee0c67b14_58886n.jpg

Tips for you if you go to the canyon - Hike the Rim, don't go down its gonna be to hot. I would say if you are dead set on doing it, bring lots of water, small med kit, good hiking shoes, sunscreen, long sleeve tshirt, hat, sunglasses food(power bars things like that). Also remember its a lot easier to hike down then back up,You will dehydrate quickly and not even realize it. I hiked with 6 quarts of water and my wife had a bunch as well.

Now if you are up at the Canyon you could also go North and hit up Page(check out Horseshoe Bend) and go to Lake Powell, or even hit up Antelope Canyons(maybe flood season so not a good idea to go there, check first). You could also hit up Monument Valley (long drive East Utah,AZ border), nice new hotel there, pretty cheap and you can pretty much visit everything from your car but I like to get out and do stuff. You can camp out there also if you are into that.

There is a lot of stuff you can do depending on how much you want to look through a windshield to get to. I love it out there, I try to get there at least once every 2 years. If you have any questions, let me know. Oh as far as food goes, there is 1 good Pizza PLace and its in Tuscon, the owner is from NY.

Horseshoe Bend
    879867314_BV2D9-S.jpg

Monument Valley
    879867717_nuf9i-S.jpg

Antelope Canyon
    879868941_Hq3F3-S.jpg
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
    yoke wrote:
    Monument Valley
    879867717_nuf9i-S.jpg

Yoke,
    how the hell did you capture this amazing photograph. I understand if you want to keep your technique secret. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    dcfaithful wrote:
    yoke wrote:
    Monument Valley
    879867717_nuf9i-S.jpg

Yoke,
    how the hell did you capture this amazing photograph. I understand if you want to keep your technique secret. :)

practice 8-)

879890385_sFCCu-M.jpg
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Looking at going to the Grand Canyon Area this July/August. We need some family "things to do" ideas, and names of breweries. Looking to mainly be around Flagstaff, Williams area, might make it as far south as Sedona on a day trip from Flagstaff. We are planning on driving down from Alberta, Canada, so things to see on the drive down would be cool too. We have 2 route possibilities...through Vegas and enter Arizona from Nevada, or straight down through Utah.

Thanks. ;)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Poncier wrote:
    81 wrote:
    1222895172371_11_BioDome_mif_290_210.jpg

Yes it is! 8-)