Options

Powderfinger

craigbcraigb Posts: 806
edited June 2010 in Other Music
I just bought Dream Days at the Hotel Existence and actually quite like it.

Are there any fans on the board? Recommendations?
"Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dixydixy Posts: 21
    Got into them a few yrs ago when i was i oz odyssey number 5 would probably be there biggest album and is a very good album and 2 earlier albums which are good as well would be internationalist and double allergic. They've an album as well called vulture street produced by brendan o brien. There touring at the moment and then calling it a day when they finish up.
    Love is control
    I'll die if i let go!
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I only have Odyssey Number 5 which I got in a sale. It makes a pleasant listen when I rediscover it every year or two!! Some really good songs on it and a great summer album. Not heard anything else besides though?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I used to be a big fan... i love internationalist, double allerigic and odessey number 5 but vulture street to present day they are a glorified matchbox 20.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 996
    Zoso wrote:
    I used to be a big fan... i love internationalist, double allerigic and odessey number 5 but vulture street to present day they are a glorified matchbox 20.
    Please dont compare them to that. They are one of great bands that has managed to stay off the radar to make better music with every release. Vulture St is a great rock album, Dream Days is a come down from big rock album & Golden Rule is a great way to say good bye. Have you seen them live they are so laid back but tight at the same time. I am seeing them next week in London & cant wait to see live music as it should be played. Australian music is always there but no one ever gives it a second thought but that is fine the more for us. The finger rule get the shit out of your ears & listen to 5 guys enjoying themselves, Matchbox 20 what drugs are you on!
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    craigb wrote:
    I just bought Dream Days at the Hotel Existence and actually quite like it.

Are there any fans on the board? Recommendations?
    First album crashed & burned but from then they have been the Aussie band around but the rest of the world has not woken to up listen, that is ok more for us. Sad to see them go but i will get to see them one more time next week.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    Odyssey Number 5, Double Allergic and Internationalist are Ye should know and all Ye need to know.
    They've a new album out at the mo. Haven't heard it though.
    They are breakin' up this year. I am going to the Dublin show.
    Haven't seen them since 2002 in Dublin. I taped that one actually. It was a great setlist in a shitty-sounding room:

Powderfinger: Ambassador, Dublin, May 22 2002:
    The Day You Come
    Passenger
    My Happiness
    Up and Down and Back Again
    Morning Sun (?)
    D.A.F.-->Tonight's the Night
    Like a Dog
    Don't Wanna Be Left Out
    My Kinda Scene
    Process This
    Children of the Revolution
    Come On
    ?
    Thrilloilogy
    (encore)
    These Days
    Waiting for the Sun

All the hits, in other words.Which is all Ye want and all Ye need to want.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Options
    Oh, and Vulture Street is crap. When I got sent that (I'm an Aussie, but having been living in Dublin for 9 years), I immediately thought: 'they're trying to do an AC/DC here'. The album came with a DVD with a documentary about the making of the album and one of the lads in the band says that Vulture Street was very influenced by AC/DC.

The problem is, is that Powderfinger are not AC/DC. They're just a different sort of band to AC/DC and it didn't suit them.

Parables for Wooden Ears (debut album) and the Mr. Kneebone EP (the first releases) are quite good.

In general, you need:
    Odyssey Number 5
    Double Allergic
    Internationalist

And they're in order of top 3, so get Odyssey Number 5 first.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    BALLBOY wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    Please dont compare them to that. They are one of great bands that has managed to stay off the radar to make better music with every release. Vulture St is a great rock album, Dream Days is a come down from big rock album & Golden Rule is a great way to say good bye. Have you seen them live they are so laid back but tight at the same time. I am seeing them next week in London & cant wait to see live music as it should be played. Australian music is always there but no one ever gives it a second thought but that is fine the more for us. The finger rule get the shit out of your ears & listen to 5 guys enjoying themselves, Matchbox 20 what drugs are you on!

stay off the radar?? where do you live??? where i live theyre one of our biggest bands and theyre always ON the radar.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    BALLBOY wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

stay off the radar?? where do you live??? where i live theyre one of our biggest bands and theyre always ON the radar.
    Where do you live should be question, i am an Aussie living in the UK. Will be seeing them for the 10th & last time next Saturday. Overseas they have been ignored never seen any them about them here. Not even a US or European tour. Radar must be out.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    BALLBOY wrote:
    BALLBOY wrote:

Where do you live should be question, i am an Aussie living in the UK. Will be seeing them for the 10th & last time next Saturday. Overseas they have been ignored never seen any them about them here. Not even a US or European tour. Radar must be out.

my radar is just fine thanks. i live in oz. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    'My Happiness' is a brilliant song.
    Odyssey is the only album of theirs I've ever heard, though.
    Not a big seller in Canada, I guess.
    I'd get it on vinyl, if I ever found it.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Great fucking band! Too bad they're calling it quits this year. I have every LP of theirs. With exception to their first one Parables For Wooden Ears, I'd say pick one and go!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    BALLBOY wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

in regards to the more adult contemporay/very radio friendly albums of the last few years they do remind of someone like matchbox 20 nowadays but i have much more respect for the fanning than rob thomas believe me. I'm an aussie living in NJ and by no means are they off the radar in Australia thats partly why i grew out of them they were played everywhere.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    My favourite song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGOyZoddqvw

what a fucking performance!
  • Options
    EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    When Powderfinger first started playing around Sydney, they were fucking dynamic. Don't listen to anyone who has bad words to say about their first album, Parables for Wooden Ears. The critics didn't like it, who gives a fuck, what would they know. For me it's one of their best albums, quite raw, not completely well produced, but it displays all the potential they had. It's a great Album.

Personally I don't listen to them anymore. I think they bowed to the pressure of writing songs that made them commercially viable to the Australian mainstream (something they have admitted). Can't blame them too much for that, you've got to earn a living. It's hard to earn a good living from Music these days, especially in Markets the size of Australia. It can only be done if you are a Mainstream success. I think they are immensely talented, but they're too polished for my liking these days. I liked them raw, rocking and passionate. Not surprised they called it quits! All that youthful passion seems to have subsided and to me, it seems their current songs are run of the mill.

Definitely go through their whole catalogue, you won't find too much filler, they're a strong, quality band.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    internationalist and Oddessy are my fave albums.
    i have tickets to the last show in Sydney, and the FINAL FINAL show in Brisbane :D
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    internationalist and Oddessy are my fave albums.
    i have tickets to the last show in Sydney, and the FINAL FINAL show in Brisbane :D

that is awesome! i was very lucky to see them 2x in the same week here in the states during the Odyssey #5 tour. the only tour they did here i think?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    My Kind of Scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnPV6CNdG3M

The Day You Come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k815r70Hjs

i loved Internationalist and Odyssey Number Five.. after VS it went to shit :?
    wah
  • Options
    The Dublin show last week was as I expected: slick, professional and lacking in soul. As a 'farewell'-type tour, they really should have played more 'hits'-and it's not a common criticism for me to make. No D.A.F.? No "Passenger". A few deep cuts from old albums and some new LP tracks played, which will probably work in Australia where there's a hardcore fanbase, but it won't play overseas. Oh well. Like I say, it was I expected it to be.

Fuck it, Rage Against the Machine in the Point tomrrow! Yay!