Options

framing posters

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited April 2008 in The Porch
how much does it generally cost to frame posters? im going to try to get a poster at each show i go to on this tour and i want to get a frame with the ticket underneath. does anyone know how much something like this would go for?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 474
    how much does it generally cost to frame posters? im going to try to get a poster at each show i go to on this tour and i want to get a frame with the ticket underneath. does anyone know how much something like this would go for?

It all depends!
    UV Glass / Acid Free Matte - Do not mount to board...

Approximately $200 plus depending on size-
    Check framed posters thread and see if Master Framer can hook you up with a bulk deal...
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    It all depends!
    UV Glass / Acid Free Matte - Do not mount to board...

Approximately $200 plus depending on size-
    Check framed posters thread and see if Master Framer can hook you up with a bulk deal...

jeez, i didnt realize it was that crazy. theres gotta be somewhere i can get a cheaper deal...
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    jeez, i didnt realize it was that crazy. theres gotta be somewhere i can get a cheaper deal...

I have spent about $250 for one of my posters to frame..But I wanted the glass that keeps it from fading...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    mattmidgettmattmidgett Posts: 128
    You can spend as much or as little as you want. It seems that a bulk majority of the people who get things framed on this board go all out and get UV/museam glass and acid free mattes, which bump the price up significantly.

I have had 14 prints framed and all of mine have come in around $80 or so. There is a place around me (in Dallas) that has a poster special that will frame any print that is smaller than 36" X 24" (all PJ concert prints fall into this range) in one of two basic black frames for $44.95. You can then add mattes if you like which will make the frame job look nicer but will increase the price. All of my framing jobs have used double mattes and the only time I have gotten acid free mattes is when they don't have a good matching or accompanying color in the regular mattes.

MasterFramer, who posts on this board, gets a lot of love for his work, and rightly so because it is good. Kind of expensive, but very good. I think he is on the Left Coast though, so shipping might really get expensive for you if you are in Jersey.

If you are looking to keep costs down you might want to abandon the idea of framing the print with your ticket. This will eliminate you having to purchase a matte, keep the frame size down, and will obviously require less work from the framer. I would think you could get a print framed with one regular matte and regular glass for less than $120 though. Things tend to be a little cheaper down here in TX though so I am not sure if that would be a possibility on the East Coast.

Sorry for the rambling, hope this helps though.

-Matt
  • Options
    If you are really looking to keep costs down, but still want something that looks respectable, I would recommend framesbymail.com. I'm in no way associated with these guys, but have bought about 15 frames through them and have never had a problem. Usually runs about $30-$40 per frame (including shipping). Really easy to assemble. Comes with plexiglass and backing.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead..."
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    I think spending over $150-$200 is rediculaous. But that's my opinion.

I just took one in (hobby lobby) and it was just over $100. But I went above and beyond because it was my '00 Alpine poster and I wanted it done good.

I would say anywhere from $90 - $110 is about average...for your typical franchised framing places. Masterframer is above and beyond...they look good.

All depends on what you want I guess.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    WTF!!??
    What's up with spending 250 $ on a freakin' frame!??
    The frame most be made of solid gold, with saphire glass!

I recently got my Copenhagen poster framed in an aluminum frame, in pas-par-tout (don't know if it's called that in english- cardboard with a cutout for the poster) with the ticket stub and the 10C bracelet underneath. Grand total: 80 $.
    Ok, this is my first PJ poster and I'm not a poster fanatic, but shurely spending 250 $ on a frame is too much?
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    LukinbigrichLukinbigrich Philadelphia, PA Posts: 21
    I have the Yield vinyl with Ed's autograph framed and that was around 400 total. I also have various posters frame and they run around 200 dollars a pop. It is really worth it in the long run!
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Just as everyone has said, depends on what you want to have done. I just dropped off 80 posters last weekend to have done with a simple black frame, middle of the road glass and no matte. $70 each. Adding the ticket will def add to the price because of the matte..

As for Masterframer....Not sure if he is doing it any longer is he? I heard he was banned for life from here....I think he was at http://www.giventoframe.com but I am not sure it is working right now if at all....good luck!!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options

My boyfriend and I get our frames at Michael's Craft Stores. On Sunday's they have 1/2 price frames, so if you're avid poster collectors like we are, Sunday at Michael's is a God send.

We also buy all the mat's we need, too. Fortunately my boyfriend has all the cutting tools and edgers that are needed to make a professional, finished product. We cut holes out for the ticket stub also. (not in the poster, but the mat).

His posters are listed on here somewhere -- his screen name is leedog0. PM him if you have questions. He's an amazing framer.
    Laura Michelé Stevens
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    http://www.americanframe.com

$50-$100 w/ UV plexi & mats

:)

IMO frame shops are a ripoff. $50 for a mat? $100 for a frame? $100 for labor? I don't think so.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Just as everyone has said, depends on what you want to have done. I just dropped off 80 posters last weekend to have done with a simple black frame, middle of the road glass and no matte. $70 each. Adding the ticket will def add to the price because of the matte..

As for Masterframer....Not sure if he is doing it any longer is he? I heard he was banned for life from here....I think he was at http://www.giventoframe.com but I am not sure it is working right now if at all....good luck!!

Indeed, MF has been "banned for life" ... I've been in touch with him, he's still framing some of my prints. His work can be seen in the huge framed poster thread, it's good stuff.

He is over at expressobeans.com under the same handle ... if you really want to get in touch with him, PM me ....
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    sennin wrote:

IMO frame shops are a ripoff. $50 for a mat? $100 for a frame? $100 for labor? I don't think so.

I got some posters and would love to go this route. What do I need to know. Do you just choose the option for ready made frames poster frames? Thanks.
    "There's alot to be said for nowhere"
  • Options
    Seriously, go to a craft store and do it yourself.

All of our posters are in simple black frames with matte colors to compliment each individual poster.

I do not spend more than $25-$40 per poster. Includes frame with glass, matte (pre-cut or custom AT HOME cut).

It can be done. And if you're framing a lot of posters like most PJ fans do, it makes much more sense to invest in the cutting and edging tools. You will save a lot of money in the long run.
    Laura Michelé Stevens
  • Options
    I tried doing my own cause I have so many and it turned out to be a nightmare. I had probs with them warping, had probs with spacers(keeping them off the glass)..Just bit off more than I could chew evidentally, or I was doing something very wrong.... I am sure others will tell you that it worked for them, but in my case it didnt. Good luck...:)

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    I have the Yield vinyl with Ed's autograph framed and that was around 400 total. I also have various posters frame and they run around 200 dollars a pop. It is really worth it in the long run!

$400......no way it's worth that money...IMO. I want your job!
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    If you want a quality frame job, you are going to pay several hundered dollars. I made the mistake (still havent forgiven myself) of having about 5 posters framed at "Pints Plus", you know one of those places in the mall.....I didn't realize it at the time, but the glued all of the posters to the foam core...rendering them, basically ruined. I just wanted to get frames on them so I could decorate my new apt...so I'm stuck with shitty frames on beautiful posters.

I have a friend that is very well off and he spends about $200-400 on each poster, depending on the type of wood/material used as well as if you want it matted or double/triple matted. I think he payed $500 for his '05 Quebec with Mike's pic he caught at the show mounted right under the poster.

You will get what you pay for, so put some serious thought into it
  • Options
    I didn't realize it at the time, but the glued all of the posters to the foam core...rendering them, basically ruined.

You know, everyone told me the same thing. That if I had them mounted to the acid free foam board, it would devalue them. Maybe so, but if I am using them for my own personal collection with no intent of ever selling them, I dont think it is a bad thing. Just my opinion, but I had ALL of what I took to the framer mounted a while back. I dont care if they are worth a dime. They are for my enjoyment only. And when I am looking up at them all, it will be a joy not to see a bunch of ripples and imperfections!

So that said, if you are not concerned about value/resale, I dont see the harm in having the drymounted to acid free foam core. Just me though...Good Luck!!

Let the verbal abuse begin! :D

• Options
    skinnypigskinnypig Posts: 75
    sennin wrote:

I use this place all the time. I paid for a pro to do my first 10 or so, then realized I had spent 2 grand on just the frames and the $50-75 I spend on each one now makes me feel a little more reasonable. The plexi glass does not look quite as sharp as a pro glass job, but I think you could go to a glass supply place and put some glass in the cheap frames and it would work. I also don't dry mount, as I envision my tastes changing and wanting to maybe switch frames, or do something else, and the thought of my posters forever mounted is kinda haunting, but that is just my taste.
  • Options
    skinnypigskinnypig Posts: 75
    I got some posters and would love to go this route. What do I need to know. Do you just choose the option for ready made frames poster frames? Thanks.

I never pick the ready made frames, you just need the measurements of your artwork and it walks you through the choices for frame, mat(s), backing, plexiglass, etc. I ordered a catalog to be shipped so that I can see the colors of the frames and mats a little easier next to my posters rather than holding them up to the computer screen and trying to pick which one is the best. My family also gives me their gift certs for christmas, lucky me. I recommend getting mats for most, if not all your posters. I did not for the first 15 or so and now I am getting them for all and I kinda regret not accenting them a bit and if I ever hit the lottery I will go back and re-do them all with mats. Except for the Portland poster with Mike on it since it is so huge all ready.
  • Options
    skinnypig wrote:
    I never pick the ready made frames, you just need the measurements of your artwork and it walks you through the choices for frame, mat(s), backing, plexiglass, etc. I ordered a catalog to be shipped so that I can see the colors of the frames and mats a little easier next to my posters rather than holding them up to the computer screen and trying to pick which one is the best. My family also gives me their gift certs for christmas, lucky me. I recommend getting mats for most, if not all your posters. I did not for the first 15 or so and now I am getting them for all and I kinda regret not accenting them a bit and if I ever hit the lottery I will go back and re-do them all with mats. Except for the Portland poster with Mike on it since it is so huge all ready.

I chose to do NO mats on any of mine. The guy I found(local mom and pop) is doing them all for $70 each. Decent in my opinion. I thought it would look kind of cool to just do a simple black frame and that is all. Show off the art. Mats look good if you are gonna go all the way, but for me, simple was preferred.

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708

I think he may have the site back up in some form pretty soon. Don't quote me on that one though.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    if you are going to have multiple posters frame go to a frame shop and ask them if they can do a package deal with a discount. 5 years ago i had deck the walls http://www.deckthewalls.com/, offer me a verbal contract that if i had 10 or more framed they would give me the best deal+40% off. at the time it was 70$ for single mat, UV glass, acid free, metal frame pending print size. i dont know if this still happens, but i would at least get a few quotes from frame shops and use that as leverage to get the best price.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    jimed14 wrote:
    Indeed, MF has been "banned for life" ... I've been in touch with him, he's still framing some of my prints. His work can be seen in the huge framed poster thread, it's good stuff.

He is over at expressobeans.com under the same handle ... if you really want to get in touch with him, PM me ....

What the hell do you have to do to get banned for life from here?
  • Options
    onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    sennin wrote:

I was waiting for someone to post this site. The place is awesome! You can put the picture in the frame as you design it. This was my most recent project. Cost be about $50 shipped.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4412/dscn1015us7.jpg
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    What the hell do you have to do to get banned for life from here?

believe he was a big critical with someone over in in the AMT forum ... if you know what I mean.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    believe he was a big critical with someone over in in the AMT forum ... if you know what I mean.

OBAMA in 08' ;):D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    OBAMA in 08' ;):D

agreed, with this, and your sig ... :D

• Options
    if you are going to have multiple posters frame go to a frame shop and ask them if they can do a package deal with a discount. 5 years ago i had deck the walls http://www.deckthewalls.com/, offer me a verbal contract that if i had 10 or more framed they would give me the best deal+40% off. at the time it was 70$ for single mat, UV glass, acid free, metal frame pending print size. i dont know if this still happens, but i would at least get a few quotes from frame shops and use that as leverage to get the best price.

That is what I did....told him how many I had and he said that if I gave him all my biz that he would give me a great day. Knocked about 40% right off the top and also told me that if he got a bulk discount on the frame and glass, that he would take another 10% or so off. 81 posters for about $5600 initially. I have about another 40 or so that I will now wait for a bit to do.

• Options
    http://www.giventoframe.com is now back up for those that are interested.
    NERDS!