edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I love it! The hotter, the better.

Anyone else a fan?

Bring it on!

93360608_fc4266a9c6.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    I love hot food. I never used to though, the hottest I could eat a few years ago was a Tikka Masala... until I discovered Louisiana hot sauce :mrgreen:

I'm not overly struck on spicy curries but I love spicy Mexican, Southern, Thai and Chinese :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I wanna try me some 'Ass Blaster'

hotsauceworld_2105_9250224
    I love hot food. I never used to though, the hottest I could eat a few years ago was a Tikka Masala... until I discovered Louisiana hot sauce :mrgreen:

I'm not overly struck on spicy curries but I love spicy Mexican, Southern, Thai and Chinese :mrgreen:

Mexican food is my favourite food. I can't wait to visit Mexico and taste the real thing.

I see hot food as a challenge. You have to try and eat through the pain barrier. Sometimes though a hot chillie can really blow your head off.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    I agree the hotter the better, I get shouted at for putting tabasco on most meals and just ordering the hottest dish from most menu's.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    I do love a hot curry. Vindaloo most of the time - though I draw the line at a Phal, that's just silly.

I love heat, but also love flavour. Some of the best curries I've had were in Sri Lanka and The Maldives. Fish curry for breakfast whilst in The Maldives. Well, when in Rome and all that.

Heat for heat's sake is often just a macho thing most of the time, and I think that's just daft, but heat and taste is something else.

They do say chilli is addictive;

http://www.indiacurry.com/spice/chiliaddictive.htm
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Love it!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    HeyWayne wrote:
    though I draw the line at a Phal, that's just silly.

I know what you mean. Phal's are crazy hot.
  • I like spicy food, but only to an extent.

If it gets to the stage where I can't taste what I'm eating, only the spice, then it takes the enjoyment out of the meal.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    I love spicy food. Its even better when the food is meant to be spicy. I'm not talking about just loading up the Franks Red Hot sauce on it, I'm talking about something that was cooked to be spicy.

I still add hot sauce to just about everything though. Try adding it to your B's and G's next time. YOu'll never go back.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    loadedgun wrote:
    I love spicy food. Its even better when the food is meant to be spicy. I'm not talking about just loading up the Franks Red Hot sauce on it, I'm talking about something that was cooked to be spicy.

I still add hot sauce to just about everything though. Try adding it to your B's and G's next time. YOu'll never go back.
    I love spicy food too. Thai, Indian, some Caribean you name it. What i don't like is so hot you can't bare to eat it. I like it to have good heat but not ruin the flavor of the food if that makes sense.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited May 2010
    I live in Texas. If it isn't spicy, I usually don't bother.

By the way, you get addicted to spicy food because of the way your body reacts to it, releasing extra endorphins to counter the pain.

When capsaicin, the element of chili peppers that cause the "spicy" sensation, comes into contact with the tongue, the body is tricked into believing that it is in pain and releases the pain-relieving endorphins.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    edited May 2010
    Byrnzie wrote:

Mexican food is my favourite food. I can't wait to visit Mexico and taste the real thing.

I see hot food as a challenge. You have to try and eat through the pain barrier. Sometimes though a hot chillie can really blow your head off.

You may be disappointed. I've been to Mexico many times because of my job (interior Mexico too, not the resorts) and without generalizing, the local food is usually very bland with little to no spice. They serve everything with a little side dish that you can mix spices and limes together and kind of do it yourself, but most authentic Mexican food is bland.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. It was just way different than what I expected.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    You may be disappointed. I've been to Mexico many times because of my job (interior Mexico too, not the resorts) and without generalizing, the local food is usually very bland with little to no spice. They serve everything with a little side dish that you can mix spices and limes together and kind of do it yourself, but most authentic Mexican food is bland.

Thanks. I wondered about that. Maybe I'll take my own bottle of Ass Blaster with me when I visit. :twisted:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Thanks. I wondered about that. Maybe I'll take my own bottle of Ass Blaster with me when I visit. :twisted:

Whatever you do, if you eat meat, get cabritos. Baby goat. They serve it on tortillas or sometimes with a spicy sauce and rice. Pretty awesome.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I am a spicy food addict. I have no less than probably 30 bottles of various hot sauces at home.

My collection as of a couple of years ago:
    http://www.dreamt.org/spinfrog/otherpics/HotSauces.jpg
    http://www.dreamt.org/spinfrog/otherpics/HotSauces2.jpg

It's a bigger collection now, and of course some of those were used eventually. Also, that does not include the ones that were open in the fridge.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    HeyWayne wrote:
    I do love a hot curry. Vindaloo most of the time - though I draw the line at a Phal, that's just silly.

I love heat, but also love flavour. Some of the best curries I've had were in Sri Lanka and The Maldives. Fish curry for breakfast whilst in The Maldives. Well, when in Rome and all that.

Heat for heat's sake is often just a macho thing most of the time, and I think that's just daft, but heat and taste is something else.

They do say chilli is addictive;

http://www.indiacurry.com/spice/chiliaddictive.htm

mmmmmm chicken vindaloo
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    BinFrog wrote:
    I am a spicy food addict. I have no less than probably 30 bottles of various hot sauces at home.

It's a bigger collection now, and of course some of those were used eventually. Also, that does not include the ones that were open in the fridge.

A collection that includes Ass-Blaster...

lol
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I wanna try me some 'Ass Blaster'

hotsauceworld_2105_9250224

We have a company here that sells awesome shilli sauces and pastes etc They have crazy names like Devil's Delirium and Dragon's Blood.... so hot you won't taste anything for the rest of the day! :lol:
    http://www.thechillifactory.com/index.php?p=Home

Love hot food, but can't have to much any more unfortunately as I will pay for it for days. Not good...damned stupid body. :roll:
    BinFrog wrote:

Outstanding! 8-)
    Flagg wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Whatever you do, if you eat meat, get cabritos. Baby goat. They serve it on tortillas or sometimes with a spicy sauce and rice. Pretty awesome.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    The wifey and I are addicted to the spice. We challenge chefs to make things hot enough they don't think we can eat it. Thai spice is heavenly. Does anyone body else push through the burn until you are almost giddy and hallucinating... almost. We have sat in a restaurant howling with laughter over nothing really while sweat poured from our faces. Too much fun.

Until the next morning anyway... :oops:
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    eyedclaar wrote:
    The wifey and I are addicted to the spice. We challenge chefs to make things hot enough they don't think we can eat it. Thai spice is heavenly. Does anyone body else push through the burn until you are almost giddy and hallucinating... almost. We have sat in a restaurant howling with laughter over nothing really while sweat poured from our faces. Too much fun.

Until the next morning anyway... :oops:

Been there, yup. The vast majority of people will never "get" it. It's all good. I love a good spice "tunnel vision coma". I bowled the best game of my life while eating wings I had to sign a waiver for. I had such tunnel vision that I blocked out everything else and the pins became a matter of life and death.

The "next day double burn" has apparently shifter with age and is now the "3am double burn", so I have to be careful when I eat really spicy stuff...habaneros especially.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Love me some spicy food. I had some Pad Thai at a festival here in SLC over the weekend and it was delicious. Bring on the heat!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    This thread is making me hungry. I'm definitely getting something spicy for lunch now.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    My husband is from Indian subcontinent, I'm from Texas - we like the hot food definitely. A good meal includes a dish of raw serrano chilis to bite while you eat your other food and we throw serranos in just about everything we cook. His opinion though, is that food from his place is just food, not 'spicy food'!

Does anyone like jalapeno-garlic grits? They are awesome! Just saute a bunch of garlic in oil, throw in a bunch of chopped jalapeno, black pepper, mix in the cooked grits in the saute pan and yum.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I'm growing scorpion peppers this summer, we'll see how it goes. I'm trying to make a ton of different salsas for my family for the holidays.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7994187.stm

this idiotic woman can eat these ghost chillies and then she even rubs them on her eyes afterwards... she's become immune to them or something.

still seems a pointless thing to do... that be like me gently stroking broccoli or richard gere sticking a gerbil up his a... ahhh you get the idea.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I love spicy stuff too! Anyone a fan of the Dave's Insanity Sauce line?
    "It's all happening"
    I love spicy stuff too! Anyone a fan of the Dave's Insanity Sauce line?

I wanna try some of that. I read an article in a lads mag years ago where the writer attempted to work his way up the chain of ever hotter sauces. It was the first time I'd heard of Dave's Insanity sauce.

The only ones I've tried are two bottles I bought in Florida a few years ago - 'Elvis' Burnin' Love hot sauce', and 'Elvis's 'Don't Be Cruel Hot Sauce'. They were hot, but not too hot. They both fit into the mild range of sauces on the website - http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hot-sauce---mild--.html
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Count me in!

I love, love, love spicy food!