Moving to Portland, OR

JK12093JK12093 Posts: 52
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I am on the way to Portland. Does anyone have any advice on where to live, places to go, etc.? Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I love Portland. I have family there. I have no advice.
    I'll be back
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I live here, tell me what's important to you and I'll hook you up with the correct info.
    NERDS!
  • sg200937sg200937 Posts: 1
    I was born and raised there. I can answer any questions you have. Feel free to email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:gaberocks@hotmail.com">gaberocks@hotmail.com</a><!-- e --> with specific questions. I am a fan of Downtown, SE from MLK - 50th / Burnside - Hawthorne, and NW 21st - 23rd. I may also know of friends who need room-mates. Best wishes!
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,472
    I live here, tell me what's important to you and I'll hook you up with the correct info.
    Unless he is looking for booze and hookers....

He doesnt need any advice from you!!!!!

heheheheheheh
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Unless he is looking for booze and hookers....

He doesnt need any advice from you!!!!!

heheheheheheh
    Everyone needs Booze and Hookers. :twisted:

And for that I'd recommend Union Jack's on Burnside :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Same here and same here. Great city!
  • JK12093JK12093 Posts: 52

Thanks. Right now we are thinking about places to live. We are looking for an apartment, but have no clue where to start. We will pick up an apt. guide when we get there. But what neighborhoods should we avoid?
    sg200937 wrote:
    I was born and raised there. I can answer any questions you have. Feel free to email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:gaberocks@hotmail.com">gaberocks@hotmail.com</a><!-- e --> with specific questions. I am a fan of Downtown, SE from MLK - 50th / Burnside - Hawthorne, and NW 21st - 23rd. I may also know of friends who need room-mates. Best wishes!

Thank you!
    JK12093 wrote:

Thanks. Right now we are thinking about places to live. We are looking for an apartment, but have no clue where to start. We will pick up an apt. guide when we get there. But what neighborhoods should we avoid?

NW Portland - Not alot of street parking. Good mix of people and restaurant. Not as snobby as it seems initially. Just a few blocks from the main parts of dowtown. Older and smaller apartments in this area.

Pearl Distric - Used to be Old Town. Now it's fancy grocery stores, bars, restaurants. Lots of young professionals in this area.

Downtown - More highrise style apartments. Close to Portland St. University so there are lots of apartments. Lot's of food carts and the Bus Mall.

SE Portland - Lots of rental apartments and homes, right across the river from downtown. Look on Hawthorne, Belmont, Stark, Clinton, Division street. Hipster Heaven lots of stuff to do.

NE Portland (formerly the hood) - gentrified area of town. About a 10 min drive from downtown, close to the aiport. Best neighborhoods are Mississipi, Concordia and Alberta.

N Portland - The St. Johns neighborhood. Close to the University of Portland and Adidas. Affordable housing in an up and coming area.

Areas to Avoid, Gresham, Deep SE Portland anything past 92nd ave. Also the area around 82nd ave between Halsey and Johnson Creek aka "Felony Flats" is a good area to avoid also.
    NERDS!
    Thanks so much for the info South of Seattle!!
    JK12093 wrote:
    No problem.

You coming out for work? School? to be on the best side of the country?
    NERDS!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Same here and same here. Great city!

I also agree. Didn't stay long, but I went to Portland for a photography workshop and loved the atmosphere there. The scenery is quite breath-taking once you take a trip out to the Columbia River Gorge. Hit up places like Hood, and The Dalles (sp?). There is an beautiful waterfall up there too but the name escapes me. Just to reiterate...there is gorgeous wilderness out there.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,419
    Good luck - I'm jealous. (Except for the lack of a baseball team there...) I went there for vacation a couple times.

Voodoo Donuts is kind of scary. The lunch carts are freakin' amazing!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Good luck - I'm jealous. (Except for the lack of a baseball team there...) I went there for vacation a couple times.

We were supposed to get the Expos but Washington beat us out. And we nearly got the Marlins and A's when they were both thinking about moving :thumbdown:
    NERDS!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

We were supposed to get the Expos but Washington beat us out. And we nearly got the Marlins and A's when they were both thinking about moving :thumbdown:

In a sports sense, you're kind of like Utah...we only had the Jazz for 20+ years and then we got a soccer team. :roll:

We do have a minor league affiliate of the Angels, they're called the Salt Lake Bees. We also have indoor football...still though, I'd much rather live in Portland. You've got the Blazers and that makes me happy enough.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    nice city. i enjoyed my week in town.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    lucky you!
    i've never been, but it's actually on my list of place we want to visit. i loved seattle, think i might even like portland more. we're NYers and no plans on leaving...but i do fantasize about living in a city such as portland. good luck and enjoy the beautiful NW!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

JK12093 wrote:
    No problem.

You coming out for work? School? to be on the best side of the country?

Neither work nor school. We just wanted to live in a city, and we chose Portland. We love vegetables and cooking and are excited about the availability of fresh, local produce. Also the public transit system is good, and there is just more to do out there. I have never been though, just read and heard good things. But I think I will like it.
    lucky you!
    i've never been, but it's actually on my list of place we want to visit. i loved seattle, think i might even like portland more. we're NYers and no plans on leaving...but i do fantasize about living in a city such as portland. good luck and enjoy the beautiful NW!

Thank you:)