MSG 2 Review on Billboard.com

Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
edited May 2010 in The Porch
"Long before the capacity crowd inside Madison Square Garden brought Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder to tears because they were singing and cheering along to "Better Man" so loud on Friday night (May 21), it was clear this wasn't going to be just any PJ show. In fact, it became clear this was a special, relentlessly rocking show from the second the lights went down and the veteran Seattle band came out of the gate hard and fast with "Corduroy." The pace didn't let up from there.

If there could possibly be a scientific formula for what makes a perfect show, almost every one of those elements were evident at the Garden Friday. Last night of the tour in a famous arena in a big city on weekend night? Check. Exuberant, sold-out crowd? Check. Marathon-length set full of rarities ("Hunger Strike," "Black Red Yellow"), favorites ("Alive," "Black") and great covers ("The Real Me")? Check. Heck, there was even a section of celebrities in the audience (Matt Damon, Michael Moore, John McEnroe) rocking almost as hard as the fans.

The 34-song, two encore break, two-hour-and-forty-five minute set, which included songs from each of the band's nine album repertoire except for 2002's "Riot Act," was notable also for the five incredibly rare b-sides sprinkled into the mix. "Breath," from the 1992 "Singles" soundtrack," nodded to a fan campaign to play that song at PJ's first Garden gigs back in 1998. "Sweet Lew," a tribute to New Yorker Kareem Abdul-Jabar, found bassist Jeff Ament taking the mic as Vedder did backup vocals and dribbled a basketball to the beat. Ben Bridwell, lead singer of opening act Band Of Horses, did Chris Cornell's part proud on the 1991 hit "Hunger Strike" by Pearl Jam/Soundgarden side project Temple Of The Dog.

Pearl Jam's more oft-played originals, old and new, also got a big reaction. The tender "Just Breathe," the current single from 2009's "Backspacer," got just as big a singalong as 1998's "Given To Fly." Vedder put a current events twist on "Daughter" add-on "W.M.A.," singing "white male Arizonian" instead of the usual "American" after saying his piece against the anti-immigrant laws just passed in that state. 1996's 62-second punk whiplash "Lukin," introduced by Vedder as both a new song and another way to skin a cat ("and who is out skinning cats anyway?") was retooled as a heartbreaking ballad.

The band fittingly brought the night to a close, house lights all the way up, with the three-part knock-out of "Alive," a raucous cover of MC5's "Kick Out The Jams," and a "Yellow Ledbetter" finished off by a "Star Spangled Banner" solo from guitarist Mike McCready before the guys lined up in a row and took a bow.

But the emotional center of the night, easily, was that moment during "Better Man." Vedder prefaced the tune by telling a story about his first trip to New York City right after Pearl Jam had formed. He'd caught his reflection in a window with the streetscape behind him and was simply in awe that he had made it to New York. Then, standing on the stage of a sold-out Madison Square Garden almost 20 years later, the whole 19,000 member crowd complete took over the singing, giving it everything they could. You might cry too.

Here is Pearl Jam's May 21, 2010 Madison Square Garden Set List:

Corduroy
Hail, Hail
Do The Evolution
World Wide Suicide
Got Some
Breath
Nothingman
I'm Open
Unthought Known
Grievance
Amongst The Waves
Present Tense
Not For You / Modern Girl
Push Me, Pull Me
Rats
Daughter / W.M.A.
The Fixer
Why Go

1st Encore

The End
Just Breathe
Lukin
Black Red Yellow
Sweet Lew
Given To Fly
Spin The Black Circle
Rearviewmirror

2nd Encore

Wasted Reprise
Better Man / Save it for Later
Black
The Real Me (The Who)
Hunger Strike (with Band Of Horses' Ben Bridwell)
Alive
Kick Out The Jams (MC5)
Yellow Ledbetter"

http://www.billboard.com/#/events/pearl ... tag=hpfeed
2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    Just read that. was on billboard's website. great review. Can we clamor for a DVD of this show yet or is it too soon? ;-)
  • BraceYourSelfBraceYourSelf Posts: 814
    Eat that NY Post
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Best versions of Present Tense, Black and Rearviewmirror I've ever heard. Still cannot comprehend how awesome this show was.

By the way, am I the only one who doesn't really like Kick Out the Jams? Yeah, its a pretty good song. I just prefer Pearl Jam not play this too much going forward.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
    Eat that NY Post

My thought f'n exactly. Now THAT's a review!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
    By the way, am I the only one who doesn't really like Kick Out the Jams?.

might be you gotta admit they KILLED that though!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
    By the way, am I the only one who doesn't really like Kick Out the Jams?.

might be you gotta admit they KILLED that though!
    It was high energy, obviously and sounded good. Believe me, I'm not complaining, just not a huge fan of that one.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    This guy gets it.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    But the emotional center of the night, easily, was that moment during "Better Man." Vedder prefaced the tune by telling a story about his first trip to New York City right after Pearl Jam had formed. He'd caught his reflection in a window with the streetscape behind him and was simply in awe that he had made it to New York. Then, standing on the stage of a sold-out Madison Square Garden almost 20 years later, the whole 19,000 member crowd complete took over the singing, giving it everything they could. You might cry too.

unforgettable moment
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    norm wrote:

unforgettable moment

Totally. I was behind the stage (overlooking Boom) so I found myself watching the crowd just as much as the band for this show and both (band and crowd) fucking brought the goods.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • heidi0321heidi0321 Posts: 1
    I thought that both MSG shows F**in ROCKED! I was sitting behind the stage in the 300's and I felt the floor shake the whole time! With every song on Friday I kept looking to my husband saying "oh Sh** are they really playing that?!" For the first time in my life I felt like I was having an outer body experience. I hope that in the future I can get closer seats :)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    norm wrote:

unforgettable moment

Totally. I was behind the stage (overlooking Boom) so I found myself watching the crowd just as much as the band for this show and both (band and crowd) fucking brought the goods.

The crowd had to be about the loudest thing I have ever heard. Maybe louder than when I saw Motorhead back in the 80's.

I mean the crowd during Betterman at MSG2 was louder than Motorhead the band.
  • Stypo420Stypo420 Posts: 519
    Great review, Great show can't wait to do it again!
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 973

By the way, am I the only one who doesn't really like Kick Out the Jams?

I'd take it over RITFW any day. Not that I dislike RITFW, but I've heard it about tree-fiddy times and I've only heard KOTJ once (MSG 2).
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Best versions of Black I've ever heard.
    say what?????i mean..which song??the best of what???remember my words..till the day we meet u will love this song!!!!will be in your top 5.... :D
    imagine this to a GA show like we have here,and u really feel the heartbeat of your friend,next to u...
    the best song in history of music.....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    say what?????i mean..which song??the best of what???remember my words..till the day we meet u will love this song!!!!will be in your top 5.... :D
    imagine this to a GA show like we have here,and u really feel the heartbeat of your friend,next to u...
    Buddy, MSG night 2 completely changed my outlook on Black. It was outstanding. I can't believe I'm typing this right now.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Buddy, MSG night 2 completely changed my outlook on Black. It was outstanding. I can't believe I'm typing this right now.
    :thumbup: :wave: :wave: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    edited May 2010
    Well Done Rollingstone Dude. He nailed it.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Rolling Stone > The Post

That review is pretty spot on.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Eat that NY Post

it's a real review because she's one of us...she's a 10c member and she is one of the three people that run twofeetthick.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    Eat that NY Post

Great review. But there won't be a DVD there was only one woman who filmed pearl jam and also at multiple shows. So maybe there will be some clips on the philly DVD.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    I mistitled this thread. The review is actually from billboard.com. I think the mods changed the title.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Eat that NY Post

Nothing bout the sound or the lack of videocscreens? This reviewer missed the whole point. :P
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 752
    haha

I knew I wasn't crazy I was searching rollingstone.com and didn't see anything

I mistitled this thread. The review is actually from billboard.com. I think the mods changed the title.
  • idreaminredidreaminred Posts: 314
    Just watched it on You Tube...pretty fucking amazing. Reminds of of Mansfield in 2003 (I think it was 03)
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Eat that NY Post
    :lol:
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I'm still pinching myself over MSG2

That really happened, right?!?

What a show!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Just watched it on You Tube...pretty fucking amazing. Reminds of of Mansfield in 2003 (I think it was 03)

Are you referring to the Betterman moment?

Mansfield - Night 1 from 2008 - the entire place went off for like two minutes straight. Coolest thing I have ever been a part of.