Pearl Jam 2011 Documentary by Cameron Crowe?

KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Has anyone heard any further info on this? I only just came across the project on IMDB, it's listed as being in production and will feature the band members, and is due to be released in 2011 for their 20 year anniversary... I just wanted to get thoughts or any further info if it's available, whether it's going to be a theater release or straight to DVD, with or without live footage, and might there be a soundtrack or new material to coincide it's release? I'm excited to see how it turns out. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    BUMP! :wtf:
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    You may want to add a ? at the end of your title. There are some hounds on here that feast over that sort of shit.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    Duly noted good sir, error negated!
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i dont think cameron crowe would be interested in the project if the majority was live footage... he seems more interested in the "characters" so im hoping for something more intimate... get some more behind the scenes kind of stuff... we really havent had anything like that before... even SVT was mainly the songs

we'll have to wait and see... im really excited for it :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Pearl Jam Taps Cameron Crowe For Documentary Feature

Posted 4/15/09 5:45 pm ET by MTV Movies Team in News

Eddie VedderContributed by Jeff Sneider

We’ve seen a lot of bands get the bigscreen treatment over the last few years, including the Rolling Stones, Metallica, U2, CSNY, the Jonas Brothers and most recently, Anvil. Now, it seems Pearl Jam is ready for its close-up, courtesy of director Cameron Crowe.

The “Almost Famous” filmmaker and former boy wonder reporter for Rolling Stone is prepping a documentary that will chronicle Pearl Jam's 20 years as a band in 2011.

Guitarist Mike McCready told Seattle’s “Ron & Don Show” that the group is “trying to do a movie with Cameron Crowe with all of our existing footage.” The plan is for the film to consist of existing concert, backstage and studio footage.

While his music credentials speak for themselves, Crowe would seem to be the perfect fit to direct a Pearl Jam doc having previously worked with them on “Singles,” which included two Pearl Jam songs on its soundtrack and featured Eddie Vedder, Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard as members of the fictional band Citizen Dick.

Crowe’s record label Vinyl Films recently helped the band repackage the reissues for its debut album “Ten,” and Crowe also exec produced “Pearl Jam: Single Video Theory,” a short making-of documentary about the group’s 1998 LP “Yield.”

Pearl Jam is pretty much the Last Band Standing from the heyday of the Seattle grunge scene (R.I.P. Nirvana and Soundgarden), so an in-depth look at the quintet is long overdue.

The band, which has sold an estimated 60 million records worldwide, will self-release its ninth album before the end of the year.

Are you Pearl fans stoked by the thought of the film? Or do you think their story won't translate to film. Chime in below.
    "Before his first step.. he is off again."

6/24/06-Cincinnati
    5/1/10- Jazz Fest
  • 4/13/2009
    Cameron Crowe's Next Project: A Pearl Jam Documentary For 2011?

Cameron Crowe's next project was supposed to be a Jerry Maguire-like tale of love and 30-something arrested adult-lescence set within the strange world of Hawaiian mysticism and military bases called, "Deep Tiki." It was set to star Ben Stiller and Reese Witherspoon and was originally scheduled to shoot in January of this year and but was then postponed for undisclosed reasons.

Stiller is now shooting Noah Baumbach's "Greenburg/Untitled,"so even if Crowe wanted to start shooting he'd have to wait, plus synching up Stiller and Witherspoon's sched presumably might be tough (do we smell recast?). Regardless, has Crowe moved on in the interim?

The Daily Swarm points to a Billboard piece about Seattle rockers, Pearl Jam and says Crowe is working on a documentary on the band, but the Billboard piece doesn't specify super closely, but says, "[The band is] working on a film with director Cameron Crowe" (though the writer did clarify to us and yes, it's a doc).

Regardless, we did find the original interview with Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready, conducted by Seattle Radio's KIRO's "Ron & Don Show," in which he mentioned Crowe. McCready talked about the Ten reissues and said all of it was leading up to Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary as a band in 2011 that would culminate in a documentary that Crowe would be directing.

"Hopefully, we're trying to do a movie with Cameron Crowe about... with all our footage, with all of our existing footage that we have," McCready said.

Will this delay "Deep Tiki"? Can Crowe work on both at the same time, a la Marty Scorsese working on his Bob Dylan documentary while also preparing drama features simultaneously? Or perhaps he can shoot it in between if the doc isn't due until 2011. All speculation. All we know is we want to see "Deep Tiki" and any Cameron Crowe-made Pearl Jam doc.

Crowe’s record label Vinyl Films recently helped Pearl Jam with the repackaging of the reissues for their debut album Ten. And the band contributed two songs to the soundtrack of the Crowe's 1992 film "Singles" ("State of Love and Trust" and "Breath"), and members of the group had cameos in it as well (in the band within the band, Citizen Dick).

Posted by The Playlist at 2:42 PM

Labels: Ben Stiller, Cameron Crowe, Citizen Dick, Deep Tiki, Mike McCready, Pearl Jam, Reese Witherspoon
    "Before his first step.. he is off again."

6/24/06-Cincinnati
    5/1/10- Jazz Fest
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    oh yes... lets worry about a film with ben stiller :roll: while awesome pearl jam news is on the horizon

GO AWAY BEN STILLER... QUIT RIDING YOUR DAD'S UNFUNNY COATTAILS! :x
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    Thanks for all the awesome information everyone, i guess i could have dug a bit deeper for the info myself, but i knew my Pearl Jam fan friends could help me out just as well. I'm definitely excited about the idea now. ...and i totally agreed about Ben Stiller, he's a bit overrated. Be well friends. Thank you again!