No garden for 3 years

powderfinger200powderfinger200 Posts: 38
edited May 2010 in The Porch
With Madison Square Garden under reconstrution for the next 3 years where in New York can they play. I have an idea how about a free show in central park on the great lawn with a couple of hundred thousand friends.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    With Madison Square Garden under reconstrution for the next 3 years where in New York can they play. I have an idea how about a free show in central park on the great lawn with a couple of hundred thousand friends.
    The garden will only be shut down after knicks and rangers seasons end, like this year. renovation will go 24/7 during the offseason.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    What's being done to it?
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Brisk. wrote:
    What's being done to it?
    Madison Square Garden will undergo a $500 million top-to-bottom renovation that will feature wider concourses and more bathrooms in addition to a giant "supersuite" and lavish corporate boxes.

There will even be a party deck and two 10th-floor bridges running the length of the arena with overhead views of the playing surface.

The renovation will include 20 courtside "event-level suites" complete with kitchens and lounges. One top-of-the-line suite will even have a working fireplace.

The "supersuite" will be the size of 10 suites and can be broken down into smaller rooms if necessary.

All 58 suites will be 40% larger than the current offerings.

To make room for the new bathrooms and wider aisles, as well as more food kiosks and improved sightlines, the Garden will take over space used for offices.

MSG exec Hank Ratner said arena brass have carefully studied both the new $1.5billion Yankee Stadium and $850 million Citi Field, which opened in April.

Both parks have been praised for their comfort and modern facilities, though the Yankees were forced to slash season ticket prices because of empty seats and some teams' fans complained about obstructed views at both stadiums.

"We're taking into account every piece of information we can," Ratner said.

The Garden's owner, Cablevision Systems Corp., will pay the entire tab.

"We all know how anomalous that is today," Ratner commented, a slap at the considerable government aid for Yankee Stadium and Citi Field.

He said the renovation will be done in stages during the slow summer months, although construction has yet to begin.

A sales center for the suites is about to open, Ratner noted, and prospective corporate customers will be shown an architectural model of the new arena plus models of the suites. Some work will be finished in time for the 2011-12 season, he added.

The current Garden, the fourth in the arena's 130-year history, opened 41 years ago.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/0 ... z0olK2aV7a
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    complete renovation. only things remaining the same are the outside structure and ceiling inside.
  • elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    Are they gonna do anything about the shaking floors or does Pearl Jam gotta come back and bring the whole place down again?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    so i just saw the last concert at the real msg?

SWEET!

"more luxury suites" = there goes the neighborhood :roll:
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    Sounds like they'll do a lot of renovation.... for the rich people :?
    Am I misunderstanding?
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
    Great, sounds like just more suites for rich people..nothing to the actual performance etc of the venue.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    It will be better for the regular Joe, obviously more so for the corporate types... That's just the way things are

if u gotta pee or get a beer, you'll be able to see while your on line

doesn't apply to me, I hold that bitch in, don't tell my mom
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Our big house getting sorely needed renovations for a few years,

but there are plenty of other places for PJ to rock out until their finished renovating.

2 brand spanking new stadiums in The Bronx and Queens,

as well as that other staium over in Coney Island Brooklyn NYC ( formely Keyspan Park ) ,

plans for a brand new arena down by Flatbush Avenue and Atlantic ( for the Brooklyn Nets ) ,

theres always Jones Beach ( again i hope not but whatever the case may be )

and theres always the old Felt Forum- inside MSG -

Not to mention the new Meadowlands being built , and it sounded like Eddie and the boys liked the new arena in Newark ( "youve got a nice building here" )

Then theres always Philly and Boston for us NYers to travel en masse ' to !

Hurry Back, Pearl Jam !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    Here's an idea (and yes, I post this out of sincere jealousy): PJ plays somewhere other than New York, Boston or Philadelphia. I've seen PJ more times out of state than in my home state, I had a ticket to St. Louis and MSG 1 only to have plans fall through (flight cancellations/work schedules etc)...I think its about time the rest of the country got some love.

Now keep in mind, I'm more than pleased to have seen them in New Orleans this summer (great show!), but I get a little annoyed when people on the East Coast who just had what clearly were amazing shows complain about how Madison Square Garden will be closed for 3 years...boo-freaking-hoo. You East Coast fans have it very, very good, so keep any whining to yourselves! :D

The rest of us would like some shows too! Here's to hoping for fall 2010/spring 2011!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    I think the new Red Bull Arena would be the best kick ass place to see them. Seats are set close to the field and it has the perfect shape for the sound. They don't like playing the bigger ballparks so 2 or 3 nights here would be awesome.
    The New Madison Square Garden

madison_square_garden--300x300.jpg

Forget courtside! The hottest ticket at the revamped Madison Square Garden will be straight above Spike Lee's head.

Up to a thousand fans will get to sit in premium nosebleed seats on the two sky bridges that will be built five stories above the playing floor as part of the $850 million inside-out reconstruction of the "world's most famous arena."

"This is our signature element. It will be a unique experience in sports and entertainment," Hank Ratner, CEO of Madison Square Garden, told The Post.

Rather than merely renovate the Garden, the project, funded without a dime in taxpayer subsidies, calls for building an entirely new arena in the shell of the 1968 building, he said.

HIGH CHAIRS: Fans will be able to look out over the action from two bridges planned as part of the four-year Madison Square Garden renovation.
    "This gives us the best of both worlds. We keep what's iconic -- the exterior and the famous ceiling -- and create a whole new building," Ratner said.

Construction will start in earnest on June 14 and go through several phases over the next four years, moving from the bottom up. The work, which will not disrupt the Knick or Ranger season, will occur mostly in summer.

After conducting focus groups with fans, MSG officials found that the biggest complaints were over the arena's lobby, its narrow concourses, the limited food choices, the lack of bathrooms and the poor sightlines at the higher levels, Ratner said.

"We gave the whole list to our architects," he said.

One longtime complaint about the Garden is that the building gives no sense of its location in the heart of Manhattan.

By moving out most of the office space, the revamp will turn the somewhat claustrophobic lower concourse into a wide thoroughfare with city views, shopping and a slew of high-end dining options.

This concourse will also pay homage to the Garden's history, with tributes to Knick and Ranger championships to such landmark events as the Ali-Frazier fight.

Also, as part of the first phase, to be completed for the 2011-12 season, is the addition of 20 "event-level" suites. Located below courtside and featuring kitchens, bathrooms, fireplaces and dining rooms "nicer than most apartments in Manhattan," the suites lead right up to the best seats in the house.

The following year, the arena's upper bowl will be redone.

The new seats will all be more plush, and the angle of the bowl's incline will be increased 17 degrees to bring fans closer to the action.

This phase will include the addition of 58 "lower-level suites," which would be larger and closer to the action than the ones in the current Garden.

The sky bridges and new lobby are set to be completed for the 2013-14 season, along with a party deck on the 10th floor and remodeled upper-level suites.

Pricing has not been set for the sky bridges, but the courtside suites reportedly sold for upward of $1 million.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jeremy.olshan@nypost.com">jeremy.olshan@nypost.com</a><!-- e -->

Read more: http://newyorkpost.com/p/news/local/man ... z0osE54CBC
    platessmall.jpg
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    i think that a walkway across the ceiling will be extremely lame, and potentially dangerous
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
    So unnecessary.
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    jets521 wrote:
    i think that a walkway across the ceiling will be extremely lame, and potentially dangerous
    Definitely. Unless they stop selling beer.
  • I will be more than happy to see MSG skipped for 3 years should that be the case...

Has to suck when all you can do is band aid the old arena instead of building a brand new one due to lack of real estate in the city.
    I will be more than happy to see MSG skipped for 3 years should that be the case...

Has to suck when all you can do is band aid the old arena instead of building a brand new one due to lack of real estate in the city.

thats not all accurate.

First The Dolans were looking at the massive Postal Property across 8th Avenue from MSG, but then they decided to skimp and save money, staying put essentially.
    platessmall.jpg
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    my2hands wrote:
    so i just saw the last concert at the real msg?

:

no- - Im seeing Tom Petty there in July and there are a bunch of concerts on the horizon. (i think renovations start next year)
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • Tumby1974Tumby1974 Posts: 15
    Can't wait for complaints of people on the sky bridge throwing stuff down on spectators below in regular seats.
    St. Louis 7-2-1998
    St. Louis 10-11-2000
    St. Louis 4-22-2003
    St. Louis 10-5-2004
    St. Louis 05-04-2010
    Tumby1974 wrote:
    Can't wait for complaints of people on the sky bridge throwing stuff down on spectators below in regular seats.

wait till 2 shifts in on the first Ranger game.
    :lol:
    platessmall.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Brisk. wrote:
    So unnecessary.
    its a shithole of a venue. Bathrooms lines are the worst at msg. you don't have any room to move around when your walking around the inside of it. Feels like your in a cow herd.

Its not even the original garden anyways
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    sounds like what they're doing to the baseball stadiums (i.e. Yankee and Shea)
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,232
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Tumby1974 wrote:

wait till 2 shifts in on the first Ranger game.
    :lol:

two? wait until the first shift..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    metsfan wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    So unnecessary.
    its a shithole of a venue. Bathrooms lines are the worst at msg. you don't have any room to move around when your walking around the inside of it. Feels like your in a cow herd.

Its not even the original garden anyways

Agreed. And it was really glaring when i went to the Pru Center in Newark. Dont get me wrong, im not comparing the vibe/energy, but it was a real pleasure to be at a nice clean venue, clean uncrowded bathrooms, nice comfortable seats, and easy access/exit. it was quite a contrast to the Garden.
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • InsideManInsideMan Posts: 261
    Hope they don't ruin the acoustics.
    2009: Philly 3 & 4
    2010: Newark, MSG I
    2011: EV Philly
    2012: Philly MIA
    2013: Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly 1 & 2, Baltimore
  • NYJAMFANNYJAMFAN Posts: 58
    Living in NY I have been lucky enough to see PJ play in so many different venues in the Tri State area but I think there is still one famous venue they have yet to play. What about a run of shows at Radio City Music Hall. Before people start bitching about the east coat bias and we have had enough shows, I am talking in the future. I think this would be a great alternative to MSG. What do you guys think?
  • RubberbandmanRubberbandman Posts: 439
    i second that, unless its closed in it will be problems, can we say drunk fans?

many places to play in NY
    tons of clubs, stadiums and mid sized venues
    nassau coliseum, jones beach, brookhaven amp to name a few