Boston vs NY

Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,419
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Which team was the bigger chokers? 2004 Yankees or 2010 Bruins?

I'm going with Bruins, since they also blew a 3-0 in Game 7.
Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    beathorse.gif

banghead.gif
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    04 stanks..... It was the 1st time it has ever happened............ and it is the stankees
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    The Bruins may have been up 3-0 and 3-0, but the yankees also had 86 years of history on their side...
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    The Bruins haven't won a Stanley Cup in 38 years and weren't expected to win it this year either if you talk to the experts. The Yankees however are expected to win at least the division every year along with 26 WS titles in the teams history. The Yanks were a much bigger choke job if you ask me.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • yellowporchyellowporch Posts: 510
    The Bruins lost Strum and Krejci in the playoffs. The Yankees were "red hot." I have to say the bigger choke is the Yankees but the Bruins hurt me more personally (obv.) Not nearly as close as the 18-1 Pats though :cry:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    g under p wrote:
    beathorse.gif

banghead.gif
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    2004 Yankees :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    g under p wrote:
    beathorse.gif

banghead.gif
    Are you a little frustrated g under p? ;):lol:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    NY was the bigger choke between the two. They were expected to compete for something, where as, boston was a nobody that bit off more than they could chew.

However, 20 years from now, the only thing we will remember about the 2009-2010 bruins, is that they choked.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    beathorse.gif

banghead.gif

81 wrote:
    NY was the bigger choke between the two. They were expected to compete for something, where as, boston was a nobody that bit off more than they could chew.

However, 20 years from now, the only thing we will remember about the 2009-2010 bruins, is that they choked.

Yes it's quite obvious the BRUINS choked, coughed up a lugee whatever but there's just no comparison between the two. Like he said the B's bit off more than they could chew, I am a huge Bruins fans and I'm barely fazed by the whole debacle. I was just happy they made the playoffs then won a series I didn't think could win and then went up 3-0 against a better team with keys injuries then were dominated in 3.2 straight periods and games.

On the other hand *We talkin bout THE YANKEES, THE DAMN YANKEES* who just the year before 2003 destroyed the Red Sox in a walkoff homerun if I can recall. There is NO COMPARISON and that's why this question is like beating a dead hosre that ain't coming back to life.

BTW a better comparison to Yankees 2004 debacle would if the 2010 CELTICS drop the next 4 games based primarily on how the Cetics have dominated the series so far. Even THIS series I didn't think the Celtics would or could come close to winning this series.

I'm done.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    beathorse.gif

banghead.gif

81 wrote:

Yes it's quite obvious the BRUINS choked, coughed up a lugee whatever but there's just no comparison between the two. Like he said the B's bit off more than they could chew, I am a huge Bruins fans and I'm barely fazed by the whole debacle. I was just happy they made the playoffs then won a series I didn't think could win and then went up 3-0 against a better team with keys injuries then were dominated in 3.2 straight periods and games.

On the other hand *We talkin bout THE YANKEES, THE DAMN YANKEES* who just the year before 2003 destroyed the Red Sox in a walkoff homerun if I can recall. There is NO COMPARISON and that's why this question is like beating a dead hosre that ain't coming back to life.

BTW a better comparison to Yankees 2004 debacle would if the 2010 CELTICS drop the next 4 games based primarily on how the Cetics have dominated the series so far. Even THIS series I didn't think the Celtics would or could come close to winning this series.

I'm done.

Peace

it still hurts, doesn't it. :lol: becasue no matter how this choke ranks in the great chokes of all time, it's still a top 4 choke, and we you can never have that taken away.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    beathorse.gif

banghead.gif

81 wrote:

I'm done.

Peace

it still hurts, doesn't it. :lol: becasue no matter how this choke ranks in the great chokes of all time, it's still a top 4 choke, and we you can never have that taken away.

Not really at all why would you assume that, the one that did hurt was the Patriots 18-1 loss to a better defense of the Giants. Reason why, I was very confident that year because I felt the Patriots had the best team and they were playing as such. Now that hurt, the Bruins I'm not fazed, they will be back from this debacle/choke with their #2 pick in the draft this year and 4 1st round picks over 2 years.. Now if this happens again next year with my confidence substantially up from 2010 well that would certainly hurt. Good job of pulling me back in to this thread. :D

Peace

g under p wrote:

Not really at all why would you assume that, the one that did hurt was the Patriots 18-1 loss to a better defense of the Giants. Reason why, I was very confident that year because I felt the Patriots had the best team and they were playing as such. Now that hurt, the Bruins I'm not fazed, they will be back from this debacle/choke with their #2 pick in the draft this year and 4 1st round picks over 2 years.. Now if this happens again next year with my confidence substantially up from 2010 well that would certainly hurt. Good job of pulling me back in to this thread. :D

Peace

not sure i would file the Pats under the choke catagory. anything can happen in a one game playoff. but it does have to suck to win 18 straight to only lose the biggest game of the year. glad the 85 bears lost early. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

not sure i would file the Pats under the choke catagory. anything can happen in a one game playoff. but it does have to suck to win 18 straight to only lose the biggest game of the year. glad the 85 bears lost early. :lol:

Never mentioned anything about the choke factor when it came to the Patriots, they were beaten by a better defensive team. I was speaking of the hurt factor, nothing about that game had to do with the Patriots choking, they were straight up beaten.

peace

• 04 Yankees. The Yankees were the first in baseball to cough up a 3-0 series lead. It happened twice in hockey before the Bruins.

Also, there were no drastic roster changes in the Sox Yanks series. The Bruins Flyers series turned around when the B's lost Krechi and the Flyers regained Gagne simultaniously. So you take one of the best players off the ice for one team and put the single best player back on the ice for the other team. That changed the entire dynamic of the series and has nothing to do with "choking" (although the B's definitely did choke, just not in historical proportions)
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

To be honest the Bruins leading 3 - 0 ten minutes into the first period of game 7 (and it was already 3-1 by the end of the first) is a far more tenuous lead than the Yankees leading 4-3 heading into the bottom of the 9th with Mariano Rivera coming into the game in game 4 of the ALCS. It should have ended right there.

The Red Sox also scored 2 runs in the 8th in game 5 to tie it up, again, getting the clutch hit off Rivera.

Both games, won in extra innings with walk off hits.

It's so funny, right after this happened everyone was posting in the Bruins thread that the Bruins collapse was much worse, but, I think it's obvious looking back that the Yankees collapse was indeed far worse on so many levels.

Still ... we're debating about something sucking real bad and something sucking really really bad .... both sucked for their fans.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    it doesn't matter if the bruins "deserved" or were "expected" to be there or not. they were there, had a 3-0 series lead, and a 3-0 lead in game 7, and BLEW IT. that's pretty bad.

but, the yankees' choke will probably be the biggest just because of the magnitude of the yanks/sox rivalry (and the fact that it was the ALCS). also, there are probably more yanks/sox fans than the entire NHL fan base. so this one will get talked about for a time to come.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,419
    jimed14 wrote:

To be honest the Bruins leading 3 - 0 ten minutes into the first period of game 7 (and it was already 3-1 by the end of the first) is a far more tenuous lead than the Yankees leading 4-3 heading into the bottom of the 9th with Mariano Rivera coming into the game in game 4 of the ALCS. It should have ended right there.

The Red Sox also scored 2 runs in the 8th in game 5 to tie it up, again, getting the clutch hit off Rivera.

Both games, won in extra innings with walk off hits.

It's so funny, right after this happened everyone was posting in the Bruins thread that the Bruins collapse was much worse, but, I think it's obvious looking back that the Yankees collapse was indeed far worse on so many levels.

Still ... we're debating about something sucking real bad and something sucking really really bad .... both sucked for their fans.

Little confession here: this was a quasi-drunk post. I didn't think this thread would be around this long. Yeah, it's beating a dead horse regarding the Yanks, but the Bruins thing is pretty fresh.

As far as the Bruins not being expected to do anything - the 2000 Flyers were in a similar situation. We were kind of shocked that they were up 3-1 on the Devils. It certainly wasn't a shock that they blew that series. But it still really sucks that they did!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Had a feeling the post was done just to stir shit :lol: ... thus, why I didn't repsond for a few days, figured I'd let everyone else have a crack at it first.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,419
    jimed14 wrote:
    Had a feeling the post was done just to stir shit :lol: ... thus, why I didn't repsond for a few days, figured I'd let everyone else have a crack at it first.

I wanted to kill the buzz for Dice-K's near no-hitter, although it'd onlly rowdy up Sox fans, but many of the same people are also B's fans.

g under p wrote:
    81 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Never mentioned anything about the choke factor when it came to the Patriots, they were beaten by a better defensive team. I was speaking of the hurt factor, nothing about that game had to do with the Patriots choking, they were straight up beaten.

peace
    straight up beaten? i will agree that they were physically abused, but Asante Samuel had his hands on the ball, and Brandon Merriweather had his hands on the ball in realistic position to end the game and the SB. There is an element of choke in that no? Maybe not as much as some of the others mentioned in the thread, but it wasn't just a beatdown loss that made watching that group of jerks lose so wonderful...it was watching all the years of the Pats getting everything to go their way start going the other way, even when they were in the right position.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Lest we all forget, after getting hammered all day, Brady led the Pats down the field to score a go ahead touchdown with just about two minutes left in the 4th quarter ...

Heaven forbid someone tackled Manning, or David Tyree doesn't hang on to that pass .. because you'd all be up to your neck's in "Brady's the best ever" talk ... it was really that close.

After I caught a ton of shit in the Bruins thread (which, I'm being proven right for after time is passing), I thought about the worst loses for Boston ... I think this was my top 5 ranking based on hurt factor ...

1- 1986 World Series
    2- 2003 ALCS
    3 - Superbowl XXXI (vs the Packers)
    4 - 1990 Stanley Cup (specifically, Petr Klima's 3rd OT goal in game 1. That team, between 88-90 should've won a cup)
    5 - Superbowl XLII (vs the Giants)

And I'd still put others like the AFC Championship vs the Colts well ahead of this Bruins loss.

Heck, I think the 03-04 Bruins, who were a strong #2 seed and up 3 games to 1 against the #7 seed Canadiens and ended up losing that series was a bigger choke job than this Bruins collapse against the Flyers, it honestly hurt more, that's for sure.

fair assessment...when i was rooting for the sox with my g/f 2003 was as bad as anything, then i turned on them as you know after 2004.