Quintessential 10 Live PJ Tunes

merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Its a top 10 songs live list but with a twist. If a friend, a PJ fan, who had never seen the band, could only get to hear TEN songs ONE time, what would they be?

Example, I know I root for Even flow to NOT be played after seeing the band so often. But you HAVE TO hear it at least once. How could you be a PJ traveller and not have heard them rip into Even Flow? There can be some rarities on your list too but you get the idea.

Here's mine:

1) Yellow Ledbetter (if I dont hear it at least once a tour, it feels like something was missing)
2) Alive (you have to do the 'hey' chant at least once)
3) Even Flow (again, such a staple... the solos... throw in a drum solo too)
4) Daughter/Its OK (heard this tag twice and may well be my favorite to PJ moments ever)
5) Rearviewmirror (I think this is by far the best 'set closer' and thats saying something.... just a dynamic listening experience)
6) Better Man (gotta do the first vs. singalong)
7) In Hiding (nothing gets me as excited as that build up to In Hiding's first chorus)
8) Crown of Thorns (the surest way to feel 'wow, this show is special)
9) Deep (the most intensely good live song IMO)
10) Footsteps (on the harmonica... this thing is a harrowing song. Should be seen OUTSIDE)
Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    merlin401 wrote:
    Its a top 10 songs live list but with a twist. If a friend, a PJ fan, who had never seen the band, could only get to hear TEN songs ONE time, what would they be?

Example, I know I root for Even flow to NOT be played after seeing the band so often. But you HAVE TO hear it at least once. How could you be a PJ traveller and not have heard them rip into Even Flow? There can be some rarities on your list too but you get the idea.

Here's mine:

1) Yellow Ledbetter (if I dont hear it at least once a tour, it feels like something was missing)
    2) Alive (you have to do the 'hey' chant at least once)
    3) Even Flow (again, such a staple... the solos... throw in a drum solo too)
    4) Daughter/Its OK (heard this tag twice and may well be my favorite to PJ moments ever)
    5) Rearviewmirror (I think this is by far the best 'set closer' and thats saying something.... just a dynamic listening experience)
    6) Better Man (gotta do the first vs. singalong)
    7) In Hiding (nothing gets me as excited as that build up to In Hiding's first chorus)
    8) Crown of Thorns (the surest way to feel 'wow, this show is special)
    9) Deep (the most intensely good live song IMO)
    10) Footsteps (on the harmonica... this thing is a harrowing song. Should be seen OUTSIDE)

I'd lose 7-10 and replace them with Evolution, Black, Porch and Given To Fly. If it's someone who has never seen the band, they need to see Given to Fly before they need to see In Hiding. And they probably never even heard Crown of Thorns so they're probably not gonna find it all that special.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    edited May 2010
    Even Flow has been played 662 times.

Also include [insert Neil Young cover] and/or [insert The Who cover].

And the Fixer could easily become a live staple. I think its a perfect song to add a tag onto the end, so I hope they can figure one out that fits, kind of like how they have Save it for Later fit so well at the end of Betterman.
    Post edited by thefin190 on
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
    Even Flow
    Alive
    Black
    Small Town
    Rearviewmirror
    Corduroy
    Better Man
    Given To Fly
    Do The Evolution
    I Am Mine
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    thefin190 wrote:

And the Fixer could easily become a live staple.

I agree. I loved hearing the fixer live for the first time this year.
  • rb115565rb115565 Posts: 222
    1. Alive
    2. Release
    3. Rearview Mirror
    4. Crazy Mary
    5. Yellow Ledbetter
    6. Smile
    7. I Got ID
    8. Given to Fly
    9. Grivence
    10. Unemployable
    5/30/03 9/2/05 9/4/05 9/5/05 7/22/06 7/23/06 9/21/09 9/22/09 9/21/11 9/22/11
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Evenflow
    Alive
    Black
    Corduroy
    Do the Evolution
    Elderly Woman
    Given To Fly
    Why Go
    Betterman
    Daughter
  • RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    Alive
    Even Flow
    Black
    Betterman
    Given To Fly
    Yellow Ledbetter
    DTE
    Save You
    Small Town
    Corduroy
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • release
    i got shit
    hard to imagine
    deep
    red mosquito
    rockin in the fw
    breath
    long road
    thin air
    leash
    led better (acoustic)

wait, is that over ten? I can't count. When the gents kick it off with a Release, Imagine, or L. Road--you're in for a treat! There are too many to note--but these above have always treated me right when heard live....
    Rochester '94, Buffalo '96, New York '96(night 2), Oakland '97 (night 4), New York '98(night 2),
    Toronto '98, Saratoga '00, Bridge School Fest '01 (both nights),Buffalo '03,
    Bridge School '03 (both nights), Reading,PA '04), San Francisco '06 (all three nights),Bridge School '06 (both nights) San Francisco '09, Los Angeles '09 (night 4), San Diego '09
    PJ fan from beginning, Fall 1991--->onwards....
    First show, Rochester, NY (4/7/94)...
  • vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 475
    it might be crazy to say after only 8 or so months, but UNTHOUGHT KNOWN has already earned a spot on this list

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Present Tense
    Why Go
    Immortality
    Tremor Christ
    Nothing As It Seems
    Porch
    Rearviewmirror
    Alive
    Go
    Corduroy

That was damn hard....... :?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    In no particular order:

- Alive
    - Betterman
    - Breath
    - Amongst the Waves
    - RVM
    - Small Town
    - Release
    - Even Flow
    - Got Some
    - Porch
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    vitodacat wrote:
    it might be crazy to say after only 8 or so months, but UNTHOUGHT KNOWN has already earned a spot on this list

If Boom's organs weren't so drowned out, AKA, you could hear a piano, then I would enjoy the live version much more.

Also, can I be in the Marker in the Sand Fan Club? I love that song!
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Black
    Better Man
    Corduroy
    Alive
    Daughter
    Given To Fly
    Porch
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Not For You
    Last Exit
    NERDS!
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    Alive
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Evenflow
    Porch
    Corduroy
    RVM
    Daughter
    Elderly Woman...
    Given to Fly
    Betterman

For someone that's never heard PJ live, going to be heavy on the first 2 albums IMO.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Tully305Tully305 Posts: 103
    Brain of J.
    Faithfull
    No Way
    Given to Fly
    Wishlist
    Do the Evolution
    Untitled/MFC
    Low Light
    In Hiding
    All Those Yesterdays

:D
    Pittsburgh ('00), Cleveland ('03), Pittsburgh ('03), Grand Rapids ('04), Cleveland ('06), Pittsburgh ('06), Chicago ('07), West Palm Beach ('08), Tampa ('08), Chicago (both nights) ('09), Seattle (both nights) ('09), Philly (all 4 nights) ('09), Noblesville ('10), Columbus ('10), Cleveland ('10), Toronto (both nights) ('11), Wrigley ('13), Pittsburgh ('13), Wrigley (both nights) ('18)
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    vitodacat wrote:

Totally agree.... I've been lucky enough to see it at both MSG shows, and it seemed like the whole place was going to collapse :D

Aaah... last week :oops:
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • JC38557JC38557 Posts: 33
    Please, this list should have nothing but the hits. We're talking quintessential songs, not less known but incredible songs. There is a difference.

Release
    Unthought Known
    Nothingman
    Betterman
    Given To Fly
    Alive
    Elderly Woman
    Evolution
    Even Flow
    Rearviewmirror