I miss CD Singles

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I miss the cool artwork
I miss the B-sides
I miss the geographical variations (like the Australian I am mine vs. USA) and collecting them
I miss the hype that surrounds their release
I just miss them
There is a certain excitement that surrounds the release of a physical single. Reminds me of old times. What was it? Save you/Other Side? Was that the last one? I remember planning a detour on the way to my son's practice, to Tower Records (RIP) and getting Save You/Other side. Admiring the cool artwork, enjoying Other Side. It was cool. I miss that.

Now, these digital releases are like a fart getting lost in a hurricane. Nobody even talks about them anymore. It's sad.
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    If this were Facebook, I would "like" this. :)
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    amen! i remember immersing myself in the nothing as it seems/insignificance single way back... good times
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Posts: 1,605
    They still have digital artwork for cd's you buy online but it sure isn't the same! Nothing beats having a cd in your hand!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351
    I misssed the CD singles too! After coming home from school hearing the latest new Pearl Jam single on the radio I would drop by my local Sam The Record Man store & flip out to find out what new song was that b-side. The majority of the singles were all Made in Austria.
  • I also miss those. I used to go into my local indie shop and scour to find them. Sadly, a guy I know who works in the industry says that their company is gearing up for the complete of the physical cd to all-digital in 2 years time.

Which makes the current resurgence of the vinyl fascination all the more interesting. In 20 years are bands going to start releasing limited pressings on cd, because of a nostalgiac need for the format?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    Remember those CD singles that were smaller, and fit within the little tray within the tray in the CD player?
  • DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Posts: 1,605
    verceman wrote:
    Remember those CD singles that were smaller, and fit within the little tray within the tray in the CD player?

Yeah they were called a 5" single single!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    Anyone miss cassingles? :D
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    verceman wrote:

I miss them all.

I remember hearing about the Australian 4-song I am mine single. Just at that time, I was in the Virgin Records Megastore (RIP) in Burbank, Ca, and I was meandering in the imports section and to my disbelief, there it was!

I'm not sure many people lnow this but the version of Undone on the Australian I am mine 4-song single is a different version than what is on Lost Dogs. The 1st guitar solo, on the Australian version, is a punchy, up beat solo using the same fuzzy effect as the 2nd solo, whereas the 1st solo on Lost Dogs sounds more like an outtake from Wishlist.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    verceman wrote:
    Anyone miss cassingles? :D

heheh... i have the immortality cassingle.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    only problem with singles is that they were 3.99 when the album was 12.99

I could never bring myself to pay that much
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    edited May 2010
    am i missing the point here...but all of the songs released off the album as single have been on cd?

before the release of RVM and Lost Dogs, you were SOL if you wanted hardcopies of b-sides. I had to wait 7 years before I could download Yellow Ledbetter off of napster.

Before, I would have to come across it on the radio and try to record it onto a cassette tape and hope the DJ didn't talk over the songs intro.
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    edited May 2010
    No Code/Yield b-sides (on cd singles): Leatherman, U, B&R&Y, Deadman 8-)
    Bought them all :D
    And yes, I do feel your pain :(

EDIT: wrong titles
    Post edited by TT8270 on
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
    ok i get you..so its not i miss cds its i miss extra tracks really then

The artwork too. I thought Save you/Other side, for example was really cool. Our buddy, the Stickman, came on the cover of Alive, and Wash accompanied as a B-side.
  • Phil100981Phil100981 Posts: 131
    Yea since the Save You single we haven't had any B-sides unless you count Lost Dogs, which you all know is basically a great collection of most of Pearl Jams B-sides. But I am guessing they have more B-sides that Pearl Jam is either saving for another Lost Dogs type release or maybe they feel that the tracks they have could be worthy of a new album which would be kick ass. I mean backspacer came out last year and even though I just got to see Pearl Jam in Hartford and Boston, I would love some new Pearl Jam tunes to jam out to. Maybe a small little 7 song LP like Alice in Chains did with Jar of Flies. Just from the prevoius post in this thread it seems like everyone is in need of a fix for some new Pearl Jam tracks. I know I am!!!!
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense

• Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    I was just thinking about this today when I heard Dirty Frank...the CD singles are where I heard Footsteps and Wash and Dirty Frank..I would get them at a coffee shop (which is out of business now) and they were the greatest things in the world. It would be an exciting day when I would get a new one. Oh how I wish I could hear some of the songs for the first time again..I was in awwww...I still am.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Phil100981Phil100981 Posts: 131
    Hey we just might get a couple of new songs IF Pearl Jam finds the time to put out their so called "Christmas Single" although seeing that its already close to June maybe we will get another double release this coming XMAS or whenever they feel like releasing it. But whenever it that it finally comes out we will all be very happy for some new Pearl Jam that is if they dont decide to throw down live tracks from the backspacer tour on it.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense

Phil100981 wrote:
    Yea since the Save You single we haven't had any B-sides unless you count Lost Dogs, which you all know is basically a great collection of most of Pearl Jams B-sides. But I am guessing they have more B-sides that Pearl Jam is either saving for another Lost Dogs type release or maybe they feel that the tracks they have could be worthy of a new album which would be kick ass. I mean backspacer came out last year and even though I just got to see Pearl Jam in Hartford and Boston, I would love some new Pearl Jam tunes to jam out to. Maybe a small little 7 song LP like Alice in Chains did with Jar of Flies. Just from the prevoius post in this thread it seems like everyone is in need of a fix for some new Pearl Jam tracks. I know I am!!!!

Or even a Merkinball type of thing with just 2 songs. But I like your idea even better. Holiday singles are great but they're more of a hodge-podge as opposed to album type songs. Being live cuts, or covers, or having holoday themes for the most part. They're fun in s different way.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,830
    I have a 7" version of whatever is on white vinyl. Alas, I do not have the 7" orange version. I think there was another single released off Backspacer onto 7" vinyl.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    I still collect them.. but there's no bsides. I got promo copies of the three singles from Avocado and I bought the two singles from Backspacer. First one domestic, the 2nd one from the UK.

But the complete loss of b-sides is depressing, as alot of PJ's best music were bsides.
  • EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 869
    TT8270 wrote:
    No Code b-sides 1996-97 (on cd singles): Leatherman, U, Deadman 8-)

leatherman and U were from yield.
    No code had black,red,yellow and deadman. You could find them at cicuit city for some reason.

I totally miss the cd single days.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    Got em' all up to Riot Act.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I miss the cool artwork
    I miss the B-sides
    I miss the geographical variations (like the Australian I am mine vs. USA) and collecting them
    I miss the hype that surrounds their release
    I just miss them
    There is a certain excitement that surrounds the release of a physical single. Reminds me of old times. What was it? Save you/Other Side? Was that the last one? I remember planning a detour on the way to my son's practice, to Tower Records (RIP) and getting Save You/Other side. Admiring the cool artwork, enjoying Other Side. It was cool. I miss that.

Now, these digital releases are like a fart getting lost in a hurricane. Nobody even talks about them anymore. It's sad.

Me too. I have a ton from back in the 90s.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • DuncsDuncs Posts: 423
    "LIKE"

I miss it all....the artwork, the music, the songs that casual PJ fans just don't know about.

I want them back...
  • WritingjunkieWritingjunkie Posts: 178
    Agreed.

I loved the glory days of Singles and B-sides.

I just listened to the Evenflow Bside version of Dirty Frank tonight at work... Just so damn good.

For me the art work was amazing, I love having physical copies of the songs that I value (which also explains my love of vinyl), and I always enjoyed sitting a friend down who followed music and playing a mind blowing B-side that they had obviously never heard and enjoying their reaction.

I miss singles.
    If Adam and Eve had Taco Bell they would have never eaten that filthy fruit...
  • TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    Evensteven wrote:
    TT8270 wrote:
    No Code b-sides 1996-97 (on cd singles): Leatherman, U, Deadman 8-)

leatherman and U were from yield.
    No code had black,red,yellow and deadman.

True. Just edited my post. Thanks!
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Agreed.

I just listened to the Evenflow Bside version of Dirty Frank tonight at work... Just so damn good.

Something else is that, although it is awesome, the versions of the songs on lost dogs are sometimes different, dirty frank is the best example, theres no growling or laughter in the begining, he dosn't do random wails in the middle of the bridge, and most importantly he dosn't cook you just to see the look on your face at the end.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351
    Zod wrote:
    I still collect them.. but there's no bsides. I got promo copies of the three singles from Avocado and I bought the two singles from Backspacer. First one domestic, the 2nd one from the UK.

But the complete loss of b-sides is depressing, as alot of PJ's best music were bsides.

Exactly! It's sad that the CD singles the past few year's now don't have any new songs added. 2 songs that we have already heard that came from the studio record. It might be a live version from a given show at times. But where's that b-side song? A song that nobody has heard of? That song that goes along with the 'new single' release? That song that was cut from the record? I've read dozens of online pages & stories of the band member's interview where they said they wrote dozens of songs for the record & only a few made the cut. Who's planning the CD singles? If your hit single is hitting the airwaves, add one of those bonus tracks that never made the cut on it. The next hit radio single you want to release, why not add another new song that was in the works on that record. Last 2 singles pretty much took the cake. 2 singles, 4 songs that were released on the Backspacer album. No edit version, no unplugged version, no extended version. Just the same studio song that's on the record. :|