should you talk bad about previous employers in interviews?

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i always thought no, they don't want to hear that so i didn't. i had an interview a few weeks ago that went really well, they asked if i ever had any bad experiences but i didn't give them any, i thought about it but didn't....i called their hr lady who set up the interview and she said a previous employer had told them i was chronically late, which isn't true at all.

i was a quality engineer for a company that made a line of products, when the economy started going down the shitter the president of the facility was replaced with some former saleman turned exec. and as usually happens when you get people in charge only worried about profits things go down hill. there were a lot of changes, some of which violated federal laws. they screwed a lot of people out of money, had several osha and safety violations, sold products they knew had a pretty good chance of failing....i didn't get screwed out of any money but i know several people that did. to sum it up they changed how over time was determined, the main problem being their new rules violated federal law. i tried to bring it up, nicely, at a meeting and the head of hr walked out saying she didn't have time for this but i was assured by another manager they followed and upheld every law.

eventually i called the dept of labor and tell the guy a decent sized list of violations and he says he'll look into it. this schmohawk calls the company and gives them my phone number!!! i later ask wtf??? and he says i never expressed a desire for anonymity and i said i thought that was pretty much implied, if someone calls in a domestic abuse or murder the cops don't tell them you're the one that called! i had given him a fake name when i called and he said they told him that person didn't work there so he gave them my number, he had to verify my story :roll: i had already told him some of the violations were in print and to ask them to fax them a copy and gave him the date they distributed it.

so now i'm royally screwed. i had been looking for a job but there really weren't any to be had. next thing i know my supervisor gives me a sheet from hr writing me up for being late 4 times in almost as many months, the last of those being several months prior! back then i had a girlfriend that had kids and in all those cases i was late because of taking one to a doctor's appointment (which i would tell my boss well in advance) or one of them getting sick and having to pick them up at school (in which cases i would call my boss at work or his cell phone and tell him and in all cases i would stay over and make up the time i was late!!) the warning also said pretty much since i had a problem of chronically being late if i was late once more i could be fired. i wasn't late again and was eventually laid off.

but i feel like i really can't say something like this in an interview.....
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited May 2010
    .. so basically what youre not doing is giving your side of the story.. which puts your former employer at an advantage. id much rather hear the reasons for you being tardy and have them legitimised(which medical emergencies involving children are) than think youre just a flake.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    i have had the same type of thing happen . i found by taken them off Your Resume and filling in with your dream job always works . lol
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    as far as I knew, former employers were not allowed to say anything to prospective employers other than that you had worked there. What this company did to you was slander. Which as far as I know is illegal and also grounds for a lawsuit. You can make them pay I am pretty sure. Ask a lawyer. Probably one around here somewhere.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Personally would say no. The main reason is if you are going to talk badly (and freely) about was has happened at your curren/former job with a prospective employer, then what will you say if/when you are working for them. Also you have no idea if they have any sort of relationship with that company or if the person interviewing you has with the hierarchy of that company.

I was asked something similar at the interview of my last job, and why it was I was looking elsewhere for employment, and I told them that due to continuing changes in management (3 different store owners in 12 months) I didn't feel there was any continuity in the way the store was managed and that I was after something more stable and the obvious "new challenges".

In your situation, I would leave them off your references and if asked about it just say that due to your personal situation at that time, the management and yourself chose to agree to disagree to your requirements and you decided it was best to move on. And state that the situation you where in then has changed and the flexibility you required is no longer an issue.

There are ways of saying what is needed to be said whilst being diplomatic and not burning bridges.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    as far as I knew, former employers were not allowed to say anything to prospective employers other than that you had worked there. What this company did to you was slander. Which as far as I know is illegal and also grounds for a lawsuit. You can make them pay I am pretty sure. Ask a lawyer. Probably one around here somewhere.

This is 100% true. My mother used to run the business that I worked for and she said that you basically can only answer if the employee had worked there or not. you are very limited on what you can say.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483

Not sure if an opinion with so many "as far as I knows", "Pretty sures" and "probablys" garners much cred!
    :)
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Not sure if an opinion with so many "as far as I knows", "Pretty sures" and "probablys" garners much cred!
    :)

lol we can never make up our minds
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    pretty timely since i have an interview monday. my last boss was intense. i mean INTENSE. Yelled alot at other employees, but took a real liking to me and when i quit he was sad to see me go, and specifically told me so. he even said he would give me an excellent recommendation.

i am considering talking about this at the interview. When they ask, how would your old boss rate your work? And i could say, he was a very intense and scary individual, but through hard work and doing my job to the best of my abilities, i won his respect and that is one of the things i am most proud of. That i was one of the few employees he liked.

Can i use the boss's actions to my advantage as in the above actions? He was yelling at others, but nice to me?
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    That's what I heard. I thought they also could say whether they'd hire you again. But, I know they are limited to what they can say, however whose to say what two companies talk about and just don't put on paper.
    Save room for dessert!
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    According to what I've read about this (mind you, this is only on message boards where people contact lawyers about different laws as well as a few labor department websites that I've seen), a former employer can say anything they want as long as it's factual and it can be validated. If attendance was an issue, the former employer can say that to a prospective employer as long they can validate it through paper work. If it isn't true, you can bring a civil case against the former employer and ask that proof be presented in your defense. A former employer can also tell a prospective employer if they would hire you again or not as this is an informed opinion.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855

but i feel like i really can't say something like this in an interview.....
    No you really can't because you won't look like a team player which is important to employers, that and loyalty, even blind loyalty. I agree this is a bad situation for you but a lesson learned. The thing about the Dept of Labor they protect employers as much as the employees, which from my point of view, being an employer, I appreciate that. Both employee and employer has the right to confront an accuser, that is probably why your name and number was released. I guess now the only thing you can do is not use this employer as a reference in the future and take what you can from the experience. Lots of people are looking at career changes now with the current unemployment. Perhaps something new will come your way from a different direction. Good luck to you.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

Not entirely true... you can say that an employee was late or didn't show up or anything that you can really back up with documentation (if sued or whatever). Almost any companies' policy is not to give out any of that info though, just to avoid these kinds of situations.

I never put any stock in references from old employers, unless I know someone at that company where I can get an off the record reference. 99% you just get the generic dates of employment.

For the OP, I'm amazed that the new company would tell you what your old company said... Unless you have some sort of relationship with this new hr lady, I can't imagine any HR person that I know actually giving out that info instead of the generic "we have several qualified candidates, and we went with a different person, blah blah blah".
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    No.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

This is 100% true. My mother used to run the business that I worked for and she said that you basically can only answer if the employee had worked there or not. you are very limited on what you can say.

This is true. I know some consultants and whenever they go to get another gig they use me as a reference and whenever the new company calls to verify their employment I am only allowed to give dates and that's about it. Anything else would get my company into trouble.

But to answer the OP's question, I would just be honest when asked about previous bad experiences. It happens to everyone at one point or another.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    here is an analogy: what if are meeting a person for the first on an expensive date and they talk shit about their ex? To me, that is a huge turn off. It lets me know that this person is trapped in their ego and in the past, they have self pity, and they can't focus on the now and creating a better future.

edit: that being said, it looks like you got screwed Pepe. I would simply not bring it up and don't list that person as a reference.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    No Way!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    pretty timely since i have an interview monday. my last boss was intense. i mean INTENSE. Yelled alot at other employees, but took a real liking to me and when i quit he was sad to see me go, and specifically told me so. he even said he would give me an excellent recommendation.

i am considering talking about this at the interview. When they ask, how would your old boss rate your work? And i could say, he was a very intense and scary individual, but through hard work and doing my job to the best of my abilities, i won his respect and that is one of the things i am most proud of. That i was one of the few employees he liked.

Can i use the boss's actions to my advantage as in the above actions? He was yelling at others, but nice to me?

I don't see anything wrong with this........just emphasize that you were able to earn his respect. Thats the important part.