NYC travel help

KidcloudkickerKidcloudkicker Posts: 414
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I'm going to NYC tomorrow for the shows and this will be the first time i've driven to NYC. I've always flown in. Can someone recommend the best and cheapest way to get into the city with a car? Is there somewhere I could park my car near a path station in NJ and take the train into the city? Would it be better to drive into the city paying the tolls and park in the city. I'd be leaving after the show so I would need to get back to my car after the show lets out. Also, is there any type of locker storage near MSG? Penn Station maybe? Any insight appreciated.
Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    I'm going to NYC tomorrow for the shows and this will be the first time i've driven to NYC. I've always flown in. Can someone recommend the best and cheapest way to get into the city with a car? Is there somewhere I could park my car near a path station in NJ and take the train into the city? Would it be better to drive into the city paying the tolls and park in the city. I'd be leaving after the show so I would need to get back to my car after the show lets out. Any insight appreciated.

r u looking for cheap or convenient?
    there's a park n ride in jersey city at liberty state park just off the turnpike where its $3 to park 24 hrs
    you'd need to take the light rail to the path station (grove (get off at marin blvd and walk to grove str path station (head away from he water, 5 mins walk)) or pavonia newport (need to walk through building underpass to wash and cross the street to the path station) or hoboken (look for signs to path, same station)

lt rail isnt far but it kinda chuggs along, all told you'd get back to yr car in under an hr depending on wait time for the trains to come
    but if you want to just get in yr car and go, there are places to park in manhattan for $20 or street parking if you dare for free (i know plenty who do this but i prefer a secure lot)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • I used to live in North White Plains. What I've done if I do not want to drive around NYC is to just park, FOR FREE, at the Valhalla, NY Metro North train station. Last time I did this It cost about seven bucks to get to the city, and about a half hour with the express train right into Grand Central Station. Grand Central connects to the subway system.

Be advised! Grand Central closes at like 1:30 am. I found this out the hard way, but ended making friends with other yokels who didn't know this and hung out until 5:30am when it opened back up.
    -All that's sacred comes from youth.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,818
    I used to live in North White Plains. What I've done if I do not want to drive around NYC is to just park, FOR FREE, at the Valhalla, NY Metro North train station. Last time I did this It cost about seven bucks to get to the city, and about a half hour with the express train right into Grand Central Station. Grand Central connects to the subway system.

Be advised! Grand Central closes at like 1:30 am. I found this out the hard way, but ended making friends with other yokels who didn't know this and hung out until 5:30am when it opened back up.
    if you are coming from the north, east or even western ny
    I agree with this-except that it might be worth going to white plains as the late trains run more frequently to white plains
    if you are coming from the south (NJ/penn) then it probably doesnt make sense
    Parking for $20 near MSG? perhaps near the west side highway, but the garages closest to the venue will probably be a bit more.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    It takes some planning to try and get into NYC on the cheap. NYC and cheap just do not go together. It also matters on where you are coming from. Good Luck.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~