Help me with a debate....

2»

Comments

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    dunkman wrote:

did not.

see.. that'll have crushed him and he won't even know how to reply to that nugget of genius debate.

0511-0702-0211-2545_Businessman_Waving_a_White_Flag_Behind_His_Desk_clipart_image.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    What makes music music for me is the vocals, got to have a beautiful or unique voice (usually always male for me) and lyrics that mean something, that I can relate to. And a great bass, I love bass guitar. Some songs just make you listen where as others you don't even hear. It's the it factor.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    pandora wrote:
    What makes music music for me is the vocals, got to have a beautiful or unique voice (usually always male for me) and lyrics that mean something, that I can relate to. And a great bass, I love bass guitar. Some songs just make you listen where as others you don't even hear. It's the it factor.
    yeah bass is very important. i like it all... voice-lyrics, bass, drums, guitar. i like good guitar playing. also, i like heavy ass sound. i like to think my taste is music kicks ass. i also like 60's - 70's music. classical music is fun too. learned a lot in music appreaciation class.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    dunkman wrote:
    its subjective.

Wishlist is one of the most beautiful and simplest songs of PJ's to play on guitar... it's such a lovely little song.

look up Yngwie Malmsteen on youtube... he is a far more technically proficient guitarist than both EV and Mike and Stone... but his music is also extremely shit. Which shows that technical music ability is no match for the emotion a simple tune can produce.

here endeth the debate.

Bullshit ... there are tons of people that would much rather hear Yngwie than PJ.

again, to the OP (like many of us are saying) ...
    jimed14 wrote:
    Your friend is right, IMO.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jimed14 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    its subjective.

Wishlist is one of the most beautiful and simplest songs of PJ's to play on guitar... it's such a lovely little song.

look up Yngwie Malmsteen on youtube... he is a far more technically proficient guitarist than both EV and Mike and Stone... but his music is also extremely shit. Which shows that technical music ability is no match for the emotion a simple tune can produce.

here endeth the debate.

Bullshit ... there are tons of people that would much rather hear Yngwie than PJ.

what the fuck?? No offence but that is one dumb argument. A ton of people???

More people would listen to Taylor Swift than PJ... i dont see your point? My point is that 'good' music is subjective... not technical... Yngwie is supremely technical but, to me.. and thats the important bit... his musis devoid of any emotion and no amount of widdling at 386mph on a fretboard can make up for the fact that his tunes are shit.

Some of the greatest songs in the world use no more than 4 or 5 chords... if a guy who knows the fretboard of a guitar more intimately than a woman then thats great for you.

point is music is subjective and is not based on technical skill.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I think we're arguing the same point ... music is subjective.

My point is you say Yngwie is shit, but many folks would disagree with that and would rather listen to that over PJ, regardless if it's "technical" or not.

Again ... music ... subjective, we agree.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
This discussion has been closed.