Best way to travel from CT to NY?

alwaysUalwaysU Posts: 82
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Hi all,
Me and my brother are planning on going to MSG Friday and I was wondering what the best way is to get from Connecticut into the city. All the bus fares look fairly expensive--does anyone here who has done this before have any tips on the cheapest way to get to the city? Thanks!
Ryan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AKRounder85AKRounder85 Posts: 250
    www.amtrak.com

New York Penn Station is adjacent to MSG, same block tho. May not be the cheapest but it will get you right there.
    2000- 9/1 Camden
    2003- 4/28 Philly, 7/5 Camden
    2005- 10/3 Philly
    2006- 5/27 Camden, 5/28 Camden, 6/3 East Rutherford
    2008- 6/19 Camden, 6/20 Camden
    2009- 10/29 Philly, 10/28 Philly, 10/30 Philly, 10/31 Philly
    2012- 9/2 Made In America
    2013- 10/21 Philly, 10/22 Philly
    2016- 4/28 Philly, 4/29 Philly
    Wishlist: Thumbing My Way, Black Red Yellow, Sleight of Hand
  • Jurassic MarcJurassic Marc Posts: 152
    depends on what part of CT your in. train is fun, they let you drink and drive

metro north if your in new haven or below
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    ML181059 wrote:
    depends on what part of CT your in. train is fun, they let you drink and drive

metro north if your in new haven or below

Yes they do!!!
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    Bridgeport to Grand Central= 8 beers

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,819
    depends where in CT
    metro north is the cheapest train
    and megabus is the cheapest bus

if you thing the bus is expensive, then amtrack is out of the question

how many people? rent a car, drive to white plains, park at the train station and take metro north into the city
    or take a bus to New haven or stamford and then hop on the metro north
  • jnaughtjnaught Posts: 74
    Definitely Metro North - easy and cheap. The only kicker - I'm not sure how late it runs, so if you're looking to party in the city after the show it may not be ideal? I can't tell you how jealous I am - wish I was hitting up one of the Garden shows. Did get to the Columbus, OH show, however - AWESOME!
  • alwaysUalwaysU Posts: 82
    It's just me and my brother and we're coming from Mass, so we can get to any part of CT. I was told that taking a bus from there was better than driving into the city due to traffic and crazy parking costs. Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Ryan
  • Jurassic MarcJurassic Marc Posts: 152
    alwaysU wrote:
    It's just me and my brother and we're coming from Mass, so we can get to any part of CT. I was told that taking a bus from there was better than driving into the city due to traffic and crazy parking costs. Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Ryan

round trip is around $30 if your north of Bridgeport .last train out of grand central is 1:49 am, next one isnt until around 5. there is no shame in going to the bars all night and sleeping for a few hours at the station. i'll probably be there.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,819
    alwaysU wrote:
    Ryan

Then I would drive to stamford or new haven and hop on the metro north-once you get south of stamford public parking can be an issue during the week-new haven has more public parking.
    Just make sure you check the return schedule for the train before you head over to the show. I would guess stamford has more frequent stops-but thats just a guess.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm
    online tickets are the cheapest
    dont buy em on the train
    and you can enjoy your favorite adult beverage on the metro north as well
    much more comfortable than the bus and no traffic issues
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    ActionJack wrote:
    Bridgeport to Grand Central= 8 beers

8 beers is my Happy Place. :mrgreen:
  • alwaysUalwaysU Posts: 82
    Excellent--looks like Stamford round-trip is very reasonable. And thanks to ML, I won't be worried when I see him waking up on a bench and getting on my train at 5 am haha. Thanks everyone,
    Ryan