Leatherman In Newark

Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
edited June 2010 in Given To Fly (live)
I'm gonna try and make this short and sweet but that probably won't happen because I am very long winded :D
Regardless, for the past few shows I have been obnoxiously waving (my own satire on Europeans waving their countries flag at European shows, sorry to the people sitting behind me but I only do it for a few seconds at a clip) a huge blue Connecticut flag every so often during the shows (starting at the Hartford show). I won the lottery at Boston so I was second row, Mike’s side. I was so pumped that night (an honestly for any Pearl Jam show I ever go to) that I waved that flag all night in front of Mike and Eddie (whenever Eddie came over). Ed looked at and saw the flag but definitely didn't make mention of or jesters to it though. So nothing too crazy that night.

But het next night in Newark is what I am talking about. I pulled the flag out a couple of times before Leatherman was play and Ed looked my way each time. Finally, right before playing Leatherman I believe Ed said 'this songs is dedicated to and about someone who is from around these parts' (Leatherman is a song about a vagabond from CT. Famous CT folklore)!!!!! Now, I can't prove that he actually played this song because of my flag but he definitely was pointing at me a few times while Leatherman was being played, and it hasn’t been played in almost 3 years now. So it’s hard for me to chalk it up to coincidence. If you disagree with me on this than that’s okay, but I still think that it’s fun to believe that it was played for me and my flag. So I want to thank Pearl jam and the 10C for being so cool to me so far this tour. I have two more shows to go to and the first three I went to were out of this world. I look forward to touring time every year with my friends and whenever Pearl Jam comes around I know it’s gonna be an awesome couple of weeks. See you at the next couple of shows people….look for the blue Connecticut flag!!!!

Thanks again 10C,
Joe Petito
403XXX
Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mavimavi Posts: 941
    Whatever people say, I'm sure just getting the feeling it was being played for you and the flag must have been great and made it extra special. Good for you!

And I definitely enjoyed it, so thank you ;)
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Though Joe and I already discussed this on Facebook, props should be given here as well. I too appreciated the rendition of Leatherman. I'll add that my friend Jamie, who won the first-row lottery, scribbled her request for You Are on the back of a No Code poster (which were hanging at the pre-party) and held it up until grabbing Ed's attention. He took the poster from her right before the band launched into the seldom-played song. I knew better than to expect a shout-out from the big boys. Still cool to watch it all unfold!
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    I bet your forefathers planted the Charter Oak didn't they? ;)