Options

PJ and vegetarianism?

JosephKJosephK Posts: 217
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I've read in the past that Ed is a vegetarian. Does anyone have any articles or anything like that the show that to be true? What is the status on the rest of the band regarding their meat eating?

Just curious.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    pimprock wrote:
    I've read in the past that Ed is a vegetarian. Does anyone have any articles or anything like that the show that to be true? What is the status on the rest of the band regarding their meat eating?

Just curious.

This isn't definitive, but in one of the "Deep" issues there is an article about what the band has to eat after a show. It talks about veggie burgers that the guys love. I'd always ASSUMED that most of them are veggie. Ed's food preferences have been referenced in articles I've read elsewhere but I'm not sure about the rest of the band. Mike's health issues might be the basis for vegetarianism and I think I've also read that Stone is veggie.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I don't know, but I'd buy any of them a steak.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    It wouldnt suprise me if they were, but Ed did eat a burger in hawaii, but I have no clue if it was a veggie.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I am pretty sure that Jeff is a vegetarian too. Dont know about the others.
  • Options
    ed was nominated as "sexiest vegetarian" on the PETA website but lost to someone, i forget who
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    Eddie is vegan.. or he was for sure..

You should find a lot of informations about it through the internet.

keep searching !
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • Options
    People will start talking shit about vegetarians/vegans in..............
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    if they werent so cool id hold it against them...

vegetarians / vegans bother me...

going to art school i am SURROUNDED by them! not one of them can give me a reasonable reason for why they choose to do it... its like having an eating disorder or enduring the pain of hanging from the ceiling by fishhooks... people do it just to brag about their own self control... i tried finding a place to go to lunch with 2 vegetarian friends today and it was a pain in the ass...

unless you have some sort of religious reason or are into farm animal beastiality i see nothing wrong with eating meat... its DELICIOUS!

and vegans are even worse... not eating dairy?? cows NEED to be milked!

jeez!

(rant over... dont mean to offend anyone)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    People will start talking shit about vegetarians/vegans in..............
    haha... oops... you saw me coming :D

• Options
    3 Minutes......

How exactly does someone else's ethical choice harm you personally? Most vegetarians (I know, not the ones at your art school or whatever, but you should try to not base your opinions on anecdotal evidence) are making either an ethical choice, an environmental choice or a health choice. Regardless of your agreement with them, aren't those all noble reasons? Be tolerant, asshole. (Irony intended)
    sgossard3 wrote:

going to art school i am SURROUNDED by them! not one of them can give me a reasonable reason for why they choose to do it... its like having an eating disorder or enduring the pain of hanging from the ceiling by fishhooks... people do it just to brag about their own self control... i tried finding a place to go to lunch with 2 vegetarian friends today and it was a pain in the ass...

unless you have some sort of religious reason or are into farm animal beastiality i see nothing wrong with eating meat... its DELICIOUS!

jeez!

• Options
    3 Minutes......

How exactly does someone else's ethical choice harm you personally? Most vegetarians (I know, not the ones at your art school or whatever, but you should try to not base your opinions on anecdotal evidence) are making either an ethical choice, an environmental choice or a health choice. Regardless of your agreement with them, aren't those all noble reasons? Be tolerant, asshole. (Irony intended)
    id say its beyond anecdotal... is the latest "hip", "indie" thing to do...

its not purely coincidental that theres always obnoxious, po-mo, tofu restaurants in yuppy areas... its the same deal with people that drive hybrid cars... both of which might be good for the environment but people gotta learn how to do it without thinking theyre better than others just cause theyre doing it... (another broad generalization... but thats how i roll)

im an asshole :D

• Options
    If its beyond anecdotal show me a peer reviewed study that concludes that vegetarians are doing it just to "be cool" or show self control. If you can't then you're full of shit. Did you ever think that the reason why restaurants like that are in "yuppy" areas might have something to do with the fact that those areas typically have higher amounts of college educated folks? Its interesting that you're proud of basing your opinions on broad generalizations. I hope you don't vote.
    sgossard3 wrote:
    id say its beyond anecdotal... is the latest "hip", "indie" thing to do...

its not purely coincidental that theres always obnoxious, po-mo, tofu restaurants in yuppy areas... its the same deal with people that drive hybrid cars... both of which might be good for the environment but people gotta learn how to do it without thinking theyre better than others just cause theyre doing it... (another broad generalization... but thats how i roll)

im an asshole :D
  • Options
    If its beyond anecdotal show me a peer reviewed study that concludes that vegetarians are doing it just to "be cool" or show self control. If you can't then you're full of shit. Did you ever think that the reason why restaurants like that are in "yuppy" areas might have something to do with the fact that those areas typically have higher amounts of college educated folks? Its interesting that you're proud of basing your opinions on broad generalizations. I hope you don't vote.
    oh i fear the day that vegetarian or not plays a role in our presidential elections... its exactly the type of bullshit that people might actually take into consideration :rolleyes:

as far as suggesting there is any correlation between intelligence and the choice to be vegetarian id like to see a "peer reviewed study" to prove that...

im sorry if i prefer a life of convenience and tastiness... but i think there is research to prove that everything in moderation is more beneficial than cutting out food groups entirely

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I'm pretty sure Ed is...at least most of the time ;)

I don't eat red meat or pork (for a couple different reasons)...been about 12-13 years and it is one of the best decisions I have made.

Let's not let this thread go to "The Train" so keep it civil. :D
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    sgossard3 wrote:

jeez!

I'm really sorry I bother you, your breath bothers me after you eat a steak.

My choice to be a vegetarian has nothing to do with my religious beliefs so that probably pisses you off ever worse, good!

And Yes, I not only think I am cool~I know it!!

I don't have to share my reason why I chose to be a veggie, but I will just to broaden your narrow little mind. I was a 3 year old who chose a cow as a pet and then was loaded into a truck and taken to the butcher to watch the cow slaughtered, and for the rest of the year my family ate that cow from the freezer.(Make all the jokes you want, but remember I was 3).
    Personally I think more people would be vegetarians if they actually had to kill what they eat, or even knew what animal they were eating, but they don't, do they? My suggestion to you, from an artist to an artist-Broaden your horizons and stop talking shit about something you know nothing about. And as for being tortured because I choose not to eat meat, seriously what planet do you live on. I do what I want because I want to, I seriously don't eat or not eat certain things so people will think I have self control.
    I hope I didn't offend you either.

P.S. I hope you don't vote either, not because your beliefs in eating meat or not, just because you seem extremely uneducated in your rants.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Thread will be moved, or closed in 3...2...1...
  • Options
    You were the one that pointed out that there were vegetarian restaurants in yuppie areas as if it was a bad thing, I was trying to point out another way of looking at it. I did not explicitly state nor infer that vegetarians were more intelligent than other folks. I don't think that any group of people is intrinsically more intelligent than another group. I also didn't say that that I believed that vegetarianism was more healthy than being a conscientious omnivore, but many Vegans/Vegetarians have made that decision and I think you should be respectful of them. Many of us consider whats right before we consider whats convenient. I'll also mention that I was a meat-eater for 20 years before becoming a vegetarian and the "tastiness" of my diet has increased exponentially since. I also fear for when there might be a qualified candidate for political office thats vegetarian or vegan simply because there will be folks like you who will judge them based on sweeping generalizations instead of other facets of their life story or their policies.
  • Options
    irieinindy wrote:
    I'm really sorry I bother you, your breath bothers me after you eat a steak.

My choice to be a vegetarian has nothing to do with my religious beliefs so that probably pisses you off ever worse, good!

And Yes, I not only think I am cool~I know it!!

I don't have to share my reason why I chose to be a veggie, but I will just to broaden your narrow little mind. I was a 3 year old who chose a cow as a pet and then was loaded into a truck and taken to the butcher to watch the cow slaughtered, and for the rest of the year my family ate that cow from the freezer.(Make all the jokes you want, but remember I was 3).
    Personally I think more people would be vegetarians if they actually had to kill what they eat, or even knew what animal they were eating, but they don't, do they? My suggestion to you, from an artist to an artist-Broaden your horizons and stop talking shit about something you know nothing about. And as for being tortured because I choose not to eat meat, seriously what planet do you live on. I do what I want because I want to, I seriously don't eat or not eat certain things so people will think I have self control.
    I hope I didn't offend you either.

P.S. I hope you don't vote either.
    haha

jeez i sure know how to push peoples buttons sometimes...

never claimed my opinion was anything more than my opinion... dont think i was really "talking shit"... just stating a hypothesis... youve certainly broadened my horizons with your cow story... but thats just one story... guess id have to hear many more to change my mind...

while everyone around here likes to come on and brag about how much they know about politics because eddie does... i dont really see what me voting has to do with me LOVING meat... im more than capable of generalizing in one aspect of my life and being informed in others

• Options
    I'll also mention that I was a meat-eater for 20 years before becoming a vegetarian and the "tastiness" of my diet has increased exponentially since.
    oh... i shouldve said tastiness on a slim budget and with a long shelf life... the small amount of fruits and veggies i buy at the moment cost more than most of my fatty things put together...

i will admit... kudos to anyone who can afford to be vegetarian... i can not

(if this was a therapy session we may have just discovered the cause of my distrust: jealousy!)

• Options
    You said "(another broad generalization... but thats how i roll)" thats why I said I hope you don't vote, it has nothing to do with you "loving meat". You further prove my point by saying that "everyone on here likes to come on and brag about how much they know about politics because eddie does". You've talked to everyone on this board who talks about politics and know for a fact that they do it for bragging rights because eddie does?

sgossard3 wrote:
    while everyone around here likes to come on and brag about how much they know about politics because eddie does... i dont really see what me voting has to do with me LOVING meat... im more than capable of generalizing in one aspect of my life and being informed in others
  • Options
    Right, because the only thing that vegetarians and vegans eat are vegetables and fruits right? Its pretty easy to afford for me, Portland has a ton of farmer's markets and small co-ops with great bulk selections. I know I'm spoiled though.
    sgossard3 wrote:
    oh... i shouldve said tastiness on a slim budget and with a long shelf life... the small amount of fruits and veggies i buy at the moment cost more than most of my fatty things put together...

i will admit... kudos to anyone who can afford to be vegetarian... i can not

(if this was a therapy session we may have just discovered the cause of my distrust: jealousy!)
  • Options
    Right, because the only thing that vegetarians and vegans eat are vegetables and fruits right? Its pretty easy to afford for me, Portland has a ton of farmer's markets and small co-ops with great bulk selections. I know I'm spoiled though.
    jesus.... i never implied you were spoiled... im sitting here laughing at how ridiculous i can act with people still believing it... do the same thing with the vegetarians i hang out with everyday... its fun... i guess it requires the verbal inflection i deliver it with... doesnt work online :D

ok you eat more than veggies and fruit... what else? tofu, bread, soy milk, etc... none of the things i can think of are cheaper than hot dogs... just saying...

• Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    sgossard3 wrote:

jeez!

Well I was for the most part a vegetarian, now recently I am more of a pescatarian (spelling?) So the only "meat" I eat is fish, wild caught, never farm raised, which is the reason I do this. It's a matter of animal cruelty as far as im concerned. So I wouldnt mind free range, or maybe a game animal, but im still working on that, as far as my personal morals go. BUT, I dont mind if my friends eat it, I have nothing against people who eat meat. Its just that I dont want to have anything to do with eating it personally, and cant even bring myself to eat it now.

Also just wondering im not sure what you meant by "farm animal beastiality" but I wanted to point out (whether its what you meant or not) that beastiality is having sex with animals. Thats probably what you meant, but I just making sure.

Funny thing though, when I checked to make sure I was right about what I thought beastiality was, I looked on Wikipedia, and Pearl Jam is the featured article :D So hey cool stuff!

BTW im not offended, just wanted to use my voice (symbolically of course :D ) Cows do need to be milked. But i'd say that their probably supposed to be milked by having their calfs suck it out :D .
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    weenie wrote:
    This isn't definitive, but in one of the "Deep" issues there is an article about what the band has to eat after a show. It talks about veggie burgers that the guys love. I'd always ASSUMED that most of them are veggie. Ed's food preferences have been referenced in articles I've read elsewhere but I'm not sure about the rest of the band. Mike's health issues might be the basis for vegetarianism and I think I've also read that Stone is veggie.

Mike's "health issues" are that he has Crohn's Disease, and from what I have read, Crohn's sufferers are generally recommended to eat a healthy diet that includes meat.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • Options
    I didn't say that you implied that I was spoiled, I was just pointing out the fact that there are a ton of options in Portland (often voted the most vegetarian friendly city in the US, we even have a vegan mini-mall!) compared to many cities and especially rural areas. I eat cereal, rice, pasta (in moderation) along with protiens like tempeh, seitan, legumes. I make homemade chili pretty often which costs exactly 5 bucks, the soymilk we get often comes in big jugs and costs between 2.50-3.00. I'm not sure how much hot dogs cost by you but our vegan grocery store sells vegan hot dogs for 1.50 (and samosas for 1.75).
    sgossard3 wrote:
    jesus.... i never implied you were spoiled... im sitting here laughing at how ridiculous i can act with people still believing it... do the same thing with the vegetarians i hang out with everyday... its fun... i guess it requires the verbal inflection i deliver it with... doesnt work online :D

ok you eat more than veggies and fruit... what else? tofu, bread, soy milk, etc... none of the things i can think of are cheaper than hot dogs... just saying...
  • Options
    Snake wrote:
    Well I was for the most part a vegetarian, now recently I am more of a pescatarian (spelling?) So the only "meat" I eat is fish, wild caught, never farm raised, which is the reason I do this. It's a matter of animal cruelty as far as im concerned. So I wouldnt mind free range, or maybe a game animal, but im still working on that, as far as my personal morals go. BUT, I dont mind if my friends eat it, I have nothing against people who eat meat. Its just that I dont want to have anything to do with eating it personally, and cant even bring myself to eat it now.

Also just wondering im not sure what you meant by "farm animal beastiality" but I wanted to point out (whether its what you meant or not) that beastiality is having sex with animals. Thats probably what you meant, but I just making sure.

Funny thing though, when I checked to make sure I was right about what I thought beastiality was, I looked on Wikipedia, and Pearl Jam is the featured article :D So hey cool stuff!

BTW im not offended, just wanted to use my voice (symbolically of course :D ) Cows do need to be milked. But i'd say that their probably supposed to be milked by having their calfs suck it out :D .
    thank you for perspective!

i appreciate you recognizing my jesting and not taking it all too literally... and i think its cool that you were able to explain your stance as well as you did and remaining so open minded with your friends...

kindof worries me that PJ is linked to beastiality... but id rather not look into it myself... haha

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    kindof worries me that PJ is linked to beastiality... but id rather not look into it myself... haha
    lol! Na they were just the featured article on the main page of Wikipedia. :D

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

• Options
    Snake wrote:
    lol! Na they were just the featured article on the main page of Wikipedia. :D

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
    sweet! now high schoolers everywhere using faulty research materials will know of pearl jam!

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    sweet! now high schoolers everywhere using faulty research materials will know of pearl jam!
    And soon our day as Jammers will come! [evil smiley] HAHAHAHAA!!!!

AND to stay on subject! : Yea... Im pretty sure Eddie is a vegan..... and im not just saying that so the mods wont think we're chatting.....

• Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I just woke up from an extremely long nap and read almost every single post as "Eddie is a virgin" and just couldn't think straight, lol.
    Happiness is only real when shared