Cost of Framing PJ Posters

Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 127
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Just curious the different ways anyone framed their posters in the past and how much it cost you. Custom? Wal-Mart? Matted? Looking to get my Hartford poster framed because, well it kicks ass.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I will make the framing junkies on here cringe, probably (like the Hoff), but I usually just buy custom-sized plain black frames, no matting, from the interwebs. No mat, plexi, acid free backing... just the art showing... usually costs me in the $25-35 per frame.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • pjppjp Posts: 15
    Just curious the different ways anyone framed their posters in the past and how much it cost you. Custom? Wal-Mart? Matted? Looking to get my Hartford poster framed because, well it kicks ass.
    You can spend an unlimited amount, really. I'm in Chicago, and got two custom framed over the past year with Artists Frame Service. They're expensive ( I feel like each was a bit north of $200 ) but they know what they're doing, and they have an eye toward protecting and enhancing the posters. But, I'm sure you could figure out a much less expensive solution as well. Just trying to give you an idea of how much it can be.
  • BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    I use American Frame.com
    http://www.americanframe.com/Default.aspx

If you go with a simple metal black frame and a single matte you can frame two posters w/shipping for under/around $100...This is the way to go in my book, they look just as good in most cases as a professional job. Unless you're going to frame a ticket or something else with it...then it would need to be professionally done. They are pretty much, (the exact same from what I can tell, even though I know nothing about framing) what professional frame shops use and do to frame your work...they are shipped in pieces and they come with these little "L" shaped things that you screw them together with in each corner....I saw the exact same types of frame and tools at the frame shop the last time I was there...you can put in the exact measurements of your posters and upload pics of the poster to try different mattes to see how they look...

If you don't want to use a matte, you can probably get two frames shipped to you for around $60-$75, but for my money, the matte makes the poster look a lot better.

They are the way to go as far as I've found.
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    edited May 2010
    I will make the framing junkies on here cringe, probably (like the Hoff), but I usually just buy custom-sized plain black frames, no matting, from the interwebs. No mat, plexi, acid free backing... just the art showing... usually costs me in the $25-35 per frame.

No reason it'll make me cringe. :)

Generic black frames with no matting and no real glass with no protection from fading and no protection from the art sticking to the plexi is not hard to find relatively inexpensively, especially since you're installing it yourself. It's certainly a budget friendly way to get them on the wall.

If you're looking at having something professionally framed with a stylish real-wood frame with your choice of color, with museum quality double matting of your choice with zeolite technology to protect from pollutants, real glass with UV coating that is identical brand to what museums use, and museum foamboard behind, and held in a way that it has no adhesives touching the art and completely reversible... then that costs more, but you're getting a lot more.

Here's a PJ Poster Framing Special I was running before... and with enough participants, would be glad to do again, although shipping is then involved.

http://westendframing.com/pearl-jam-poster-framing.html

And "acid free" has become a loose term, unfortunately. There are mats and backing boards that say "acid free", but they neglect to say they are buffered, which means they won't be acid free in a few years, just acid free at the moment you buy it. A high-quality frame shop like mine, and others, use only Bainbridge Artcare matboards which will last beyond several generations with no harm to the artwork. The same cannot be said for the budget frames.

If you're looking for something cheap, and not worried about potential acid burns, and not worried about the ink sticking to the glass nor worried about the print fading... then those online shops aren't a bad option. If you want to make sure that your poster lasts more than 10 years, then professional framing is recommended.

Right now I'm working on an order for 12 posters from this framing special, including one signed by the whole band.

:D
    Post edited by CJMST3K on
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    BMo-643 wrote:
    I use American Frame.com
    http://www.americanframe.com/Default.aspx

If you go with a simple metal black frame and a single matte you can frame two posters w/shipping for under/around $100...This is the way to go in my book, they look just as good in most cases as a professional job. Unless you're going to frame a ticket or something else with it...then it would need to be professionally done. They are pretty much, (the exact same from what I can tell, even though I know nothing about framing) what professional frame shops use and do to frame your work...they are shipped in pieces and they come with these little "L" shaped things that you screw them together with in each corner....I saw the exact same types of frame and tools at the frame shop the last time I was there...you can put in the exact measurements of your posters and upload pics of the poster to try different mattes to see how they look...

If you don't want to use a matte, you can probably get two frames shipped to you for around $60-$75, but for my money, the matte makes the poster look a lot better.

They are the way to go as far as I've found.

This is pretty much the exact type of thing I was talking about in my post. Same rough prices, too. My place, tho, is www.framesbymail.com, fwiw.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 127
    Wow thanks for all the info guys! Ill def check out all these options
    Hoff makes me scared and ashamed... but I ain't got the coin to drop $200 per print...

Whaddya say, bud... you and me become tight and you frame one poster every so often as a present for your ol' pal CranMal? ;)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Hoff makes me scared and ashamed... but I ain't got the coin to drop $200 per print...

Whaddya say, bud... you and me become tight and you frame one poster every so often as a present for your ol' pal CranMal? ;)

In exchange for tickets of the same value with better TC number than me? Sure. :D

No reason to be ashamed. Everyone has their budget. :)

I'm only cautioning because I've personally seen things that happen to art. Poster ink sticking to glass is very possible. Poster ink fading from just hanging on an average wall... it's practically guaranteed. I have prints that were framed 20+ years ago in my father's gallery when he used regular glass on everything, and the color is drained from them. Acid burns, and brown stains on art because of non museum quality products - I see that often.

If it's a cheap poster that you can replace with little expense, then I wouldn't worry about quality too much. If it has financial or sentimental value to it... then you may want to protect it.

And you can get protective framing for posters under $200... though not as high quality as I was offering in my special... and pricewise, nothing of real protective quality will be found for $25, but if decoration is your primary goal and not protection, then that's the way to go for that price.

ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • -decodified--decodified- Posts: 2,686

Do you have any pics of the ones you have... I agree w/ you I'll not spend more than $40 for a frame 8-) , I want something modern... simple... even without mat and frame... but nice... anyway is the way I like to see art ;)
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
    Do you have any pics of the ones you have... I agree w/ you I'll not spend more than $40 for a frame 8-) , I want something modern... simple... even without mat and frame... but nice... anyway is the way I like to see art ;)

Take a looksee here: Not the highest quality photos (did it real quick for a friend) but you can get an idea of what I got for about $35 each:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2036400&id=1118511662&l=c1b6d08d5f
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • -decodified--decodified- Posts: 2,686

Take a looksee here: Not the highest quality photos (did it real quick for a friend) but you can get an idea of what I got for about $35 each:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2036400&id=1118511662&l=c1b6d08d5f

cool that's what I want... where you get the frames???
    thanks for the info!!!
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Tremor-ChrisTremor-Chris Posts: 233
    There is a custom frame shop right by my house, I've gotten 4 matted and framed, none have been over $100, they always give me a 25% discount for some reason! :D

-Chris
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace.
    cool that's what I want... where you get the frames???
    thanks for the info!!!

www.framesbymail.com is where I got those. You tell them the exact size of the art, they send you the glass, back, frame sides and hardware... easy to put together w/ a slot head screw driver.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • lastchild11lastchild11 Posts: 1,301
    is it safe to keep the posters in the tubes they come in? what about poster sleeves (http://www.dking-gallery.com/store/Mylar.html) if I use cheaper walmart frames will the poster be okay if i use sleeves?
    Dallas TX 10/17/00
    Oklahoma City 4/3/03
    Dallas TX 6/9/03
    Memphis TN 6/20/09 (Eddie)
    Kansas City MO 4/3/10
    Little Rock AR 8/28/10 (Eddie, WM3 rally)
    St Louis MO 7/1/11 (Eddie)
    Dallas TX 11/15/12 (Eddie)
    Tulsa OK 11/18/12 (Eddie)
    Tulsa OK 11/19/12 (Eddie)
    Dallas TX 11/15/13
    Oklahoma City 11/16/13
    Tulsa OK 10/8/14
    St Louis MO 9/18/22
    Oklahoma City 9/20/22
    Ft Worth TX 9/13/23
    Ft Worth TX 9/15/23

• stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    CJMST3K wrote:

No reason it'll make me cringe. :)

Generic black frames with no matting and no real glass with no protection from fading and no protection from the art sticking to the plexi is not hard to find relatively inexpensively, especially since you're installing it yourself. It's certainly a budget friendly way to get them on the wall.

If you're looking at having something professionally framed with a stylish real-wood frame with your choice of color, with museum quality double matting of your choice with zeolite technology to protect from pollutants, real glass with UV coating that is identical brand to what museums use, and museum foamboard behind, and held in a way that it has no adhesives touching the art and completely reversible... then that costs more, but you're getting a lot more.

Here's a PJ Poster Framing Special I was running before... and with enough participants, would be glad to do again, although shipping is then involved.

http://westendframing.com/pearl-jam-poster-framing.html

And "acid free" has become a loose term, unfortunately. There are mats and backing boards that say "acid free", but they neglect to say they are buffered, which means they won't be acid free in a few years, just acid free at the moment you buy it. A high-quality frame shop like mine, and others, use only Bainbridge Artcare matboards which will last beyond several generations with no harm to the artwork. The same cannot be said for the budget frames.

If you're looking for something cheap, and not worried about potential acid burns, and not worried about the ink sticking to the glass nor worried about the print fading... then those online shops aren't a bad option. If you want to make sure that your poster lasts more than 10 years, then professional framing is recommended.

Right now I'm working on an order for 12 posters from this framing special, including one signed by the whole band.

I hear yah and I agree. I just can't let myself do it on the cheap.

I just had a White Stripes Poster Framed with Museum quality glass and the whole nine for $411.00. I thought it came out great. Will last my kids lifetime.

Here is a link: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/64327 It is number 5 of 5. The picture I took does not do it justice.
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    many of the 2010 prints are 18x24 which helps if you are trying to frame on the cheap.
    is it safe to keep the posters in the tubes they come in? what about poster sleeves (http://www.dking-gallery.com/store/Mylar.html) if I use cheaper walmart frames will the poster be okay if i use sleeves?

I'm not going to claim to be any sort of expert, but storing them in the tubes indefinitely is typically a no-no. Having said that, I have a handful of posters that were in tubes for upwards of 4 yrs before I took them out, and other than taking a few days to flatten out, I didn't see any real ill effects.

Can't speak to the sleeves, although I'd be interested to hear about them (although all of my frames are custom sized so the sleeves may not work for me). Perhaps the Hoff can weigh in on these things.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • MB50486MB50486 Posts: 243
    Funny I saw this tonight. Just had my Philly IV phramed tonight. $220. Museum UV glass no glare. Did the whole acid free bit (for what that's worth). My wife did it as a 40th gift. Didn't want her to spend it but...her choice. Btw...not showing her this thread...lol
  • Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 127
    many of the 2010 prints are 18x24 which helps if you are trying to frame on the cheap.

Sweet thx I was digging around looking for my tape measure.
  • PushinPaintPushinPaint Posts: 433
    raineman,

if you go to expressobeans.com, just type in pearl jam and whatever show you're looking for, and it brings up all the measurements, price history, etc. Really great site. You can also look at other peoples posters they are willing to trade and/or sell so it's easy to make deals if you're interested in that kind of thing
    raineman,

if you go to expressobeans.com, just type in pearl jam and whatever show you're looking for, and it brings up all the measurements, price history, etc. Really great site. You can also look at other peoples posters they are willing to trade and/or sell so it's easy to make deals if you're interested in that kind of thing

I've found that the expressobeans dimensions on some of the prints differ slightly from my own measurements... sometimes by a quarter inch or more... I haven't compared all posters... just happened to notice the dimensions on that site after I already measured and noticed the difference. So I don't go by that site for dimensions at all.

*Edit*

But who knows? Maybe in my younger days, I shaved off an edge to fit in my Walmart frames? I can hear the cries of anguish now! ;)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly