Pet Peeves

left the porchleft the porch Posts: 504
edited May 2010 in The Porch
1. Young vs. Old PJ fans. Why does it matter? We are all the same, we all love this band so what's with the animosity? I for one am not too happy about the lottery for rows 1-2 and 9-10 with people who have been in the Ten Club a whopping three years (example) when I've been a member for sixteen years, but I also don't want to be greedy so I've never bitched about it til now. I just think it's rude when people write on here saying a show rocked because the older people were pushed back. Or "my number sucks, why can't I get front row?" Show some respect. I'm just as loud and exuberant as anyone else who's lucky to be close to the front. Pearl Jam have been around for a long time so their hardcore fans are bound to be 'older.' Why do you think onesies are being sold at shows and on the website? I don't think age should matter, I'm psyched to see young people at shows who are discovering this band for the first time. Just if you are lucky enough to win the lottery, remember the reason this fan club exists is because some of us have been paying our dues for a long time.

2. People who include Ed's solo shows in their lists of PEARL JAM concerts. If you saw Brad, Flight to Mars, Three Fish or any other side project would you include those shows? I'm sure Ed would be pissed too.

3. Know-it-all's who act like they own these boards. Some people are just brutal. Unless you're in the band don't act like you are in the band. There are some real winners over in Musicians and Gearheads who think they are gift's from above. If you're so talented, where's your website? How come I haven't heard your band? Oh, that's right, it's because you suck ass.

I just needed to get that off my chest.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BravejamriotBravejamriot Posts: 217
    edited May 2010
    I know you are just trying to vent, but you come across as a bit whiny. If the old vs young fans annoys you, then don't post about the differences and how young fans annoy you and how great the older fans are.

Do you really expect anyone to have sympathy that you might have been a row or 2 further away from the show in order to give other fans a chance at a night they will remember for the rest of their lives? You got the same chance as I do and as someone who just found the band after Backspacer.

Oh, and I doubt Ed would really care about how people list their shows.
    Post edited by Bravejamriot on
  • riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    1. Young vs. Old PJ fans. Why does it matter? We are all the same, we all love this band so what's with the animosity? I for one am not too happy about the lottery for rows 1-2 and 9-10 with people who have been in the Ten Club a whopping three years (example) when I've been a member for sixteen years, but I also don't want to be greedy so I've never bitched about it til now. I just think it's rude when people write on here saying a show rocked because the older people were pushed back. Or "my number sucks, why can't I get front row?" Show some respect. I'm just as loud and exuberant as anyone else who's lucky to be close to the front. Pearl Jam have been around for a long time so their hardcore fans are bound to be 'older.' Why do you think onesies are being sold at shows and on the website? I don't think age should matter, I'm psyched to see young people at shows who are discovering this band for the first time. Just if you are lucky enough to win the lottery, remember the reason this fan club exists is because some of us have been paying our dues for a long time.

2. People who include Ed's solo shows in their lists of PEARL JAM concerts. If you saw Brad, Flight to Mars, Three Fish or any other side project would you include those shows? I'm sure Ed would be pissed too.

3. Know-it-all's who act like they own these boards. Some people are just brutal. Unless you're in the band don't act like you are in the band. There are some real winners over in Musicians and Gearheads who think they are gift's from above. If you're so talented, where's your website? How come I haven't heard your band? Oh, that's right, it's because you suck ass.

I just needed to get that off my chest.

I can see this has been bugging you. :)

Hey I've been in the 10C almost 10 years now & I've never won the lottery. Coincidentally, I've also been playing the *actual* lottery for longer than that, and I've never won that either. Go figure. But yeah, I don't get complaining about it.

I have no comment on the other 2 things...

I will say it kind of bugs me when people make "rules." Apparently it's not OK for me to wear my Pearl Jam 1992 concert shirt to any show because that turns me into "That Guy." Or in my case, "That Girl." I have lots of old PJ shirts and if I wear them to a show then for some reason I have yet to figure out I'm a weird dork.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    my pet peeve
    when someone says "no problem" to my thank you
    I didn't think it a problem
    :?
    polite response
    "You're welcome"
    smiles all around
    also sorry for the rant and
    I too feel better now
  • BravejamriotBravejamriot Posts: 217
    I hate this idea of "that guy" for wearing band merch to a concert. Where did that start? A stupid movie quote or something?

If I buy a shirt at the show, is it okay to wear it, or does that make me "that guy"? If I wear a Mets hat to a Mets game, isn't that the same thing? (Yea I'm a Mets fan :oops: )
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680

I'm sure this keeps Ed up at night.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Poncier wrote:

I'm sure this keeps Ed up at night.

In related news, I saw a rule over on the DMB boards that you can't include Dave & Tim on your list of times you've seen Dave.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    a bit harsh i think .
    granted there are some real boneheads on here.
    most are not.

and in the musician and gearheads section. i have gotten some really useful advice there.
    ive played guitar for over 20 yrs but i suck. i am a casual player and love getting help from peeps that are into similar music as i
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    ive been a member for a long time, been to a ton of shows, have a low number, sat in the first 5 rows for a number of shows and i love the idea of a lottery, as long as its fair. im also the guy that advocates giving game used baseballs/hockey pucks to kids in the last rows of the ballparks/arenas.
    the lottery is a great idea especially when you witness the shock and excitement of a deserving pj fan winner.

yea lottery!!!!!
  • People with less than 8 items who don't go through the express line
    really irks me.
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    I would consider myself to be smack in the middle of the Young and Old spectrum here.

The lottery doesn't bother me SO much...

however it is disheartening to know that some people who are either going to their first or second shows are right up front and not only have the experience of being so close... but also get great photo ops and opportunities for some cool stuff like setlists, picks, sticks...etc. It's like playing the lottery your whole life to win nothing and see someone who just bought a ticket for the heck of it all of a sudden win a jackpot.

It would be nice to see perhaps a change in the lottery system.

Say... numbers 0-250000 have a chance at rows 1-2

and numbers 250000 - whatever the last number is have a chance at rows 9-10 or something like that.

Orrrrr perhaps they do something like the NHL Draft Lottery system. You time in the 10C AND number of shows contributes to your likelihood of winning the lottery.

just a thought.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • I know you are just trying to vent, but you come across as a bit whiny. If the old vs young fans annoys you, then don't post about the differences and how young fans annoy you and how great the older fans are.

Do you really expect anyone to have sympathy that you might have been a row or 2 further away from the show in order to give other fans a chance at a night they will remember for the rest of their lives? You got the same chance as I do and as someone who just found the band after Backspacer.

Oh, and I doubt Ed would really care about how people list their shows.

I never said the old fans were greater, and I'm not whiny. And no I don't expect sympathy, just don't act like your more deserving than old fans because you were still swimming in your daddy's bag when Ten came out, and you are young and therefore entitled. A band of this size can't exist without a loyal fanbase that has allowed them to make a living and still release music. My point is, Backspacer wouldn't have been made and Pearl Jam would have broken up years ago if not for their dedicated and older fans. I'm not the one who created this animosity, I'm just commenting on it. If you actually read what I wrote, you would have saved your fingers the energy it took to type your empty response.

Oh, and I don't care if you doubt Ed would care, if you've been following this band as long as I have, you'd know that Ed DOES hate it when people treat him like he's the whole band. The last time he appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone in 06, he was pissed because it was supposed to be a shot of the band not just him. Including the times you saw Ed solo with the Pearl Jam shows you attended is the same thing. I saw him twice at Massey Hall, but I don't include it in my list of PJ shows because it wasn't PJ. I never said it was a rule that you can't, just that I think it's sad. You're all just trying to boost your stats. And don't compare Dave Matthews Band to Pearl Jam. It is not the Ed Vedder Band, he is not the sole songwriter with a backing band. In fact he was the last guy to join Pearl Jam. So maybe Stone, Jeff and Mike would take exception to you including Ed's solo tour with Pearl Jam shows. I know this dosen't keep Ed up at night, I never said it did, but I do think it's wrong. IMO he would agree with me. If I ever get to meet him I'll ask.

I never expected everyone to agree with me, I'm just venting which is my right just as much as anyone else's. Call it what you will, but when you get a response obviously you've struck a nerve somewhere. It's funny the emotions that are expressed on here by people who clearly can't see the many side's to the story. Defend yourself if you feel the need. I'm just expressing my frustration and opinions.
  • State of MindState of Mind Posts: 282
    What if they played two nights in each location, 10C only, and one night has the lottery and one night is strictly seniority? Or one is seniority and the other is reverse seniority? (Ok, please don't throttle me!!)

Well, I can dream about fan club only shows, right? :)
  • KatKat Posts: 4,840
    The insults and crudeness is mind-boggling...don't do that again.

If someone makes a post that isn't within the Posting Guidelines, use the Report feature to report it. It's our little community and everyone together makes it better.

Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.