Tuning problems

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i am a beginner. and finally picked up the guitar again to give it ago a few days ago. finally got around to tuning it again tonght, and i use a tuner for it. the green light, lights up on the tuner indicating i am in tune on all the strings yet, the tuner itself identifies the string i am playing as different than the one i am actually playing. for example i play the a string and it goes green, meaning i am good to go, yet it identifies it as a C#. i play d string, it lights up green, yet says its a G#

i am lost. what do i do?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• savmansavman Posts: 230
    I am guessing the problem is you are in tune, however, to the wrong note. I imagine you wish to be tuned to standard E.
    so from the fattest string down- the notes would be EADGBE
    In the example you gave your D string (the third one down) is perfectly tuned to G# which means it could either be massively sharp or massively flat relative to the D note. Unfortunately without hearing your guitar i cannot tell you which way to go.

This is what i would do....
    Hopefully you have a good ear- you can use a web site like this one.
    http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html
    Click on the string you want and try and get the same string sounding the same by either tuning up or down. Note: you will probably have to move each string in either direction signifcantly. Once you have done that i would recommend re-calibrating with your tuner to fine tune it beyond what your ears can hear.

Hope that helps :D
    Good luck