"Digitally remastered"

HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Does it mean louder?

I only ask because when playing my Ten CD in the car it's quieter than most of my other CD's. There are a few that I've noticed that are quieter - Siamese Dream being another that springs to mind.

Both were purchased some 18 or so years ago (man I sound old!). Maybe they've worn out...
Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    Remastering typically includes some kind of compression, which does make it louder. It's not always for the better either.
  • HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    I don't have it blasting out - but when I play Ten, or Siamese Dream for example, they don't sound as 'rich' or deep.

Granted my stereo's a bog standard, factory fit pile of pap, but still - other more 'modern' CD's seem to sound better somehow.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    HeyWayne wrote:
    Granted my stereo's a bog standard, factory fit pile of pap...
    Hey Wayne what do you mean by pap? Me? :lol: Thanks for the ad marketing guy... ;)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    HeyWayne wrote:
    I don't have it blasting out - but when I play Ten, or Siamese Dream for example, they don't sound as 'rich' or deep.

Granted my stereo's a bog standard, factory fit pile of pap, but still - other more 'modern' CD's seem to sound better somehow.

Actually, quite the opposite is true: Most recent CD's are over-compressed and have succumbed to the "loudness war" and thus are tiring to the ears and sound lousy. Louder <> better. When the mixing engineers are told by the record company to make the CDs louder (so that when they play on the radio and on jukeboxes they overpower other recordings and stand out to the average listener), it means they make the quiet parts louder, the loud parts quieter, and then the maximize the volume on the whole recording. The dynamic range is completely lost and the little nuances that are intended by the recording engineer and the artists are completely lost. You get a less interesting recording, usually filled with pops and clicks and static.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    I must have my ears on back to front then.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    "loud" remasters are for people who don't know what a volume knob is.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    "loud" remasters are for people who don't know what a volume knob is.
    I wish I had discovered the volume knob earlier... get ringing in my ears after extended listening now :(
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Ok, example.

For testing purposes I played my Bootleg of the O2 London 2008 this morning. With my window down (as the weather currently permits) I could quite easily hear the CD with the volume at 12, and as I drove I turned it up to 14 as wind noise dictated.

Trying the same thing with my Ten CD i have to have it at 14 to hear it and then turn it up to 16 or so to be at the same level.

We're not talking rear view mirror shaking, or chest vibrating levels here, but it's definitely quieter on the old CD and sounds almost 'tinny' in comparison.

In my humble non-acoustically perfect noise polluted opinion of course.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com