Nut Allergies anyone??

Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Ive always noticed a reaction to eating just small pieces of walnuts so I avoided them but I eat a LOT of peanuts. Im going to be hiking the Appalachain Trail soon and wanted to know for sure what I was allergic to since medical services wont be so readily available.
I got tested for all nuts and i am EXTREMELY allergic to Hazelnut, moderatly to walnuts and surprisingly I do have an allergy to peanuts, just no reaction. The allergist recommend I stay away from ALL nuts but peanuts are a staple of my trail diet and since ive never had any issues I will continue for the time being and then afterwards I will be more cautious. He said that eventhough I have no reactions now I am MUCH more likely to develop a reaction at anytime. So he prescribed me some Epipens ($67 each on my insurance, what the hell!).

He also mentioned that where ever peanuts are produced its likely other nuts are as well so there would be potential contact with hazel and walnut.

My question for anyone with nut allergy experience is- should I be worried even about coffee where hazelnut coffee is served too due to contact with the same machines possibly? I never really ate hazelnut before so I dont know how the reaction would go but if I had not gotten this test and gotten those results Im sure i wouldve lived my life the same way avoiding hazelnut just the same and possibly never encountered any issues but now I feel more cautious just knowing that it could potentially kill me.
He showed me the results of my IgE test and my hazelnut score was like a 12.4 which rates pretty high for allergy.
"The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    that sucks.
    i myself enjoy nuts but im not allergic to them unless the nuts are attached to some dude. :sick:
    i don't know what else to tell ya.

i think hazelnut coffee is just flavoring of some sort. (but i could be wrong)
    mmmmmm hazelnut creamer rocks...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I recently found out I was allergic to them, but didn't realize it because the reaction happens internally to me. It sucks because I used to eat them everyday..

On the other hand, I am deathly allergic to fish. I turn bright red and have troubles breathing the reaction is so severe.
  • tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
    Do not worry! I have been allergic to nuts my whole life, just recently in the last 5 years or so I was tested again! I am ok to eat almonds, walnuts, cashews etc but peanuts and hazelnuts I had a very extreme reaction still. Anyway as per your question about hazelnut coffee, they use synthetic flavor for that, they don't use real hazelnuts from what I've been told. Hope this helps. :)
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016