MSG Expectations

AlltheWay23AlltheWay23 Posts: 159
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Am I wrong to expect something special?? This will be my first trip out to Madison Square Garden. I just remember looking at the MSG setlists after going to the DC show in '08 and thinking they were nothing spectacular.....wasn't super long, not a lot of big suprises...is MSG as good as its hyped up to be??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Anything that is hyped will struggle to live up to expectations. Personally, I'm just expecting the usual kick-arse Pearl Jam show I've grown to love - nothing more, nothing less. But this in itself is a pretty fucking awesome show.
  • AlltheWay23AlltheWay23 Posts: 159
    Great answer. I can't say I've ever seen a bad PJ show, and I've seen 17 of them. That MSG DVD is pretty incredible though and makes me feel like maybe there might be something a little extra that they might put out there.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    edited May 2010
    please don't expect something special at msg. it hasn't been special at msg since 03 and probably won't be ever again till the final concert ever by pj at msg. the crowd is the best crowd pj could perform infront of. only the south american 05 tour will ever rival msg crowd. maybe they will kick things up a notch setlist wise like they did in 03.

not trying to be a dick but just go to msg with no expectations and rock the fuck out
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

If the crowd takes it to the next level, that will make it special enough.
    Seeing as i will have been married the day before and will be taking my stepson to his second rock concert, it will be a really special show no matter what Pearl Jam do. We're currently packing our bags here in LA for the flight to NYC tomorrow. We've had a great week and a bit in LA and looking forward to a wicked week and a bit in NYC. Newark on Tuesday is my bachelor party!!!
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,233
    I expect LeBron James to show up on stage........
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Congrats Paul...I've always said that I will do a PJ concert for my b party when I get married
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    metsfan wrote:
    please don't expect something special at msg. it hasn't been special at msg since 03 and probably won't be ever again till the final concert ever by pj at msg. the crowd is the best crowd pj could perform infront of. only the south american 05 tour will ever rival msg crowd. maybe they will kick things up a notch setlist wise like they did in 03
    As much as I hate to agree with this, its true. The 08 sets were long, good shows... but definitely setlist-wise were far from 'epic.'

That said - I think they have been mixing it up so well this tour with one-stop-per-city shows... I would like to hope the repeats will be kept at a minimum this go around!
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    For me a setlist is secondary to crowd energy, so frankly, if they played only songs off Rearviewmirror and the crowd sang along every word, that's a winner of a show for me.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    benjs wrote:
    For me a setlist is secondary to crowd energy, so frankly, if they played only songs off Rearviewmirror and the crowd sang along every word, that's a winner of a show for me.
    And that's why all of the 'best setlist' threads are worthless... everyone wants something different. :)
  • MikeSigMikeSig Posts: 74
    Sadly for me, I have only seen Pearl Jam twice: the shows at MSG in '08. Those shows are both in my top 10 ever, along with bands like Springsteen, Metallica, and U2. However, since I haven't seen PJ anywhere else, I can't say definitively whether my adoration for those two sets in '08 is a function of PJ+MSG or just PJ itself. I have a feeling it's the latter, although I will say that the crowds at MSG were the best crowds I've seen for any band, bar none.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    it's gonna be real special
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    The only thing I expect is I Am Mine to be played due to the recent Times Square bomb scare.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
    ruggs1996 wrote:
    The only thing I expect is I Am Mine to be played due to the recent Times Square bomb scare.

Hopefully they'll sound check it first after train wrecking it in Perth 2009 which was the last time they played it. :) Probably one of my favourite parts of the show. Ed dedicated it to Nick Cave and then had to apologise to him for stuffing it up. But he countend them back in and they got it awesomely right on the second go. Gotta love live music.
  • Anything that is hyped will struggle to live up to expectations. Personally, I'm just expecting the usual kick-arse Pearl Jam show I've grown to love - nothing more, nothing less. But this in itself is a pretty fucking awesome show.

This.

MSG shows are usually wonderful, but you can't go in expecting some miracle. Just prepare to have your socks rocked off like you would at any PJ show...
    "The goal of a coach is to take a guy who has beaten down by his parents, by religion, by society, to take that guy and build him back up to find his spirit to go out and fight" Joe Lewis
  • LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    I've yet to see PJ at MSG (Thursday night will be my first) but I've seen several shows there and what sets MSG apart from every other arena are the perfect acoustics. That and there's not a bad seat in the house unless you're in the 400's. Saw Bruce there last Novemebr and sat sidestage... absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see Eddie and Mike rip the place apart. My daughter is a huge PJ fan and this will be both of our first shows. (I had sidestage tix for yesterday's show in Hartford but gave them to a buddy who lost his job... hope Thursday's set is just as good!)

They call MSG the most famous arena in the world for a reason. You'll be wowed.

Grab a gyro across the street, too... they are killer!
  • Im just glad im popping my PJ cherry @ MSG...expecting the best.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    Not that the sets are that different, i think it's the atmosphere (and maybe the shaking floor). Energy is always great in there.
    Here's to getting "BROTHER" on the setlist Thursday night.........................please
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Nate165xxxNate165xxx Posts: 19
    The two shows in 08 were two are the strongest I've ever seen. But it wasn't because of guests (CJ Ramone, Ace Frehely, impromptu choir are not exactly Springsteen) or show lengths (even though Ed always says they are extending curfews but end up barely exceeding them) or setlists. It is simply the vibe. You actually feel a vibe going between the band and the crowd. They feel it. Ed comments on it every time they play there. It is indescribable and I for one have been jones'n for it since 08. And I went to 3 of the 4 Philly shows (which did come close). So bring on MSG! I'm waiting.