The American Civil War

13»

Comments

• Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    did the governor of nc do anything significant during the civil war? on a road the next town over is a sign that says is the historic vance birthplace but never knew what he did. i was looking through a magazine on the area and it said gov vance was the governor during the civil war
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    i would like to see manassas one day. two very bloody battles there at bull run. has anyone else noticed that most of these battles take their names from creeks or rivers near the battlefields?

I enjoyed Manassas. On one of our trips to Gettysburg, we flew into Baltimore, spent a couple of days in DC and then took the long way to Gettysburg. We stopped at Manassas on the way out of DC and spent a few hours there. Then we drove into Maryland and visited Antietam. My wife really loved this place. We didn't get there until early evening, so we only saw some of the bigger highlights of this battlefield but we definitely want to go back. From there, we went on to Gettysburg, and spent about 5 days there.

As far as battle names, the names vary. Federal troops typically named a battle after a land mark, while Confederate troops usually named a battle after the nearest town. That's why you have the battle of Mannassas or Bull Run (a nearby creek), the battle of Sharpsburg or Antietam, Shiloh or Pittsburg Landing, etc. etc.

I forgot to mention another fantastic book on the subject, and that is John Ransom's Andersonville Diary. What an amazing book this is. My last copy was read so much (even my wife read it), that is basically in shreds, so I may order another one since it's been about 10 years since I last read it. http://www.amazon.com/Ransoms-Andersonville-Diary-Bruce-Catton/dp/0425141462

It was great to read that book, and then we took a road trip up to Andersonville back when we lived in Florida, and everything looked exactly as it was described. It's definitely a read.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    Shawshank wrote:
    i would like to see manassas one day. two very bloody battles there at bull run. has anyone else noticed that most of these battles take their names from creeks or rivers near the battlefields?

I enjoyed Manassas. On one of our trips to Gettysburg, we flew into Baltimore, spent a couple of days in DC and then took the long way to Gettysburg. We stopped at Manassas on the way out of DC and spent a few hours there. Then we drove into Maryland and visited Antietam. My wife really loved this place. We didn't get there until early evening, so we only saw some of the bigger highlights of this battlefield but we definitely want to go back. From there, we went on to Gettysburg, and spent about 5 days there.

As far as battle names, the names vary. Federal troops typically named a battle after a land mark, while Confederate troops usually named a battle after the nearest town. That's why you have the battle of Mannassas or Bull Run (a nearby creek), the battle of Sharpsburg or Antietam, Shiloh or Pittsburg Landing, etc. etc.

I forgot to mention another fantastic book on the subject, and that is John Ransom's Andersonville Diary. What an amazing book this is. My last copy was read so much (even my wife read it), that is basically in shreds, so I may order another one since it's been about 10 years since I last read it. http://www.amazon.com/Ransoms-Andersonville-Diary-Bruce-Catton/dp/0425141462

It was great to read that book, and then we took a road trip up to Andersonville back when we lived in Florida, and everything looked exactly as it was described. It's definitely a read.
    wow, sounds like one awesome trip to be able to see all of that in only a few day's time. i would love to do something like that but i don't have any friends or family who share my passion for the history that occurred at these places. at this point i would be going by myself it appears...

i did not know how the battles were named, but i knew that they were referred to differently based on which side you were on, and that a lot of them were named after creeks (antietam) or landmarks where part of a battle was fought (hornet's nest, peach orchard, sunken road, etc) . when i went to shiloh we spent a significant amout of time at pittsburg landing so that name stands out in my head, but i think i recall "shiloh" getting it's name from the white church there that ironically means something like "peace" or something like that.

i saw a history channel show about andersonville not too long ago. the conditions there were very deplorable and many many people died there. i will never forget the picture of a guy that survived there that looked like a skeleton. you could count his ribs and the poor guy had to sit there and have his photo taken, which took several minutes back then...sounds like a great book. i love reading diaries of people that were there for these historical situations. i did not know andersonville is still there. man shawshank, i am going to be reading for the next year if you keep giving me book titles lol...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Shawshank wrote:

And how the decide on the which name to use in secular lingo is based upon which side won the battle.
    did the governor of nc do anything significant during the civil war? on a road the next town over is a sign that says is the historic vance birthplace but never knew what he did. i was looking through a magazine on the area and it said gov vance was the governor during the civil war
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebulon_Baird_Vance

sounds like a pretty interesting guy...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Nice little package of Civil War goodies available here for all those with an interest in the subject:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4312228 ... tton_-_TTC
    sorry to bump this thread. but i am just excited to announce that 11 years after this thread i am finally visiting gettysburg and antietam. going with a buddy that is a big civil war buff as well.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    sorry to bump this thread. but i am just excited to announce that 11 years after this thread i am finally visiting gettysburg and antietam. going with a buddy that is a big civil war buff as well.

A lot of history there and a surprisingly beautiful place to visit as I recall (it was back in '64, just a few years ago, haha!). 
    My pop grew up in PA and told me about a time he and a buddy of his hitch hiked around the state and spent one night camped out in the trees somewhere on the Gettysburg site (this was probably sometime in the late 1930's). 
    When I went there in '64 my younger brother said, "Hey, let's see if we can find some bullets from the civil war!" and he started scratching around in the grass.  :lol:

Have a great time and tell us about it when you get back!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

A lot of history there and a surprisingly beautiful place to visit as I recall (it was back in '64, just a few years ago, haha!). 
    My pop grew up in PA and told me about a time he and a buddy of his hitch hiked around the state and spent one night camped out in the trees somewhere on the Gettysburg site (this was probably sometime in the late 1930's). 
    When I went there in '64 my younger brother said, "Hey, let's see if we can find some bullets from the civil war!" and he started scratching around in the grass.  :lol:

oh man that is a great story! i wish we were camping out on the grounds. it is a national park now so not sure if we can. we are in a hotel not far from the battlefield. we will be there 2 nights and 2.5 days so hopefully it is enough time to see all of it. a friend said antietam can be done in a single day, so we have set aside 1.5 days for that.

i know that relic hunting is definitely illegal, so i don't have any hopes of finding any bullets or anything. i imagine most of those things have been found over the last 150 years. i know that you can buy them from the museums in the area. i was looking online last night and they have some that were found in the 1920s on little round top where the 20th maine was located. they are less than $40 so i may pick one up of there are any in stock. there may be some near where chamberlain's company b was located on little round top. it is a wooded area with a stone wall so it is possible. also may be some in devil's den due to the huge rock formations. but they are probably so weathered now it would not be work having. i imagine there are some bullets in the tree trunks at all of those locations as well.

i am reading a field guide on gettysburg that was written by a retired colonel and a certified battlefield guide. it has 37 stops listed in chronological order over 3 days. we may cherry pick some stops from there but i know we are definitely going to see devil's den, culp's hill, little round top, and we are going to walk pickett's charge up to the bloody angle and the high water mark where some of pickett's men breached the union line only to be blown away by a cannon.

hopefully the weather holds up.

on this trip we are also spending 3 days in DC and plan to see as much of the history stuff as we can while there. 

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    brianlux said:

oh man that is a great story! i wish we were camping out on the grounds. it is a national park now so not sure if we can. we are in a hotel not far from the battlefield. we will be there 2 nights and 2.5 days so hopefully it is enough time to see all of it. a friend said antietam can be done in a single day, so we have set aside 1.5 days for that.

i know that relic hunting is definitely illegal, so i don't have any hopes of finding any bullets or anything. i imagine most of those things have been found over the last 150 years. i know that you can buy them from the museums in the area. i was looking online last night and they have some that were found in the 1920s on little round top where the 20th maine was located. they are less than $40 so i may pick one up of there are any in stock. there may be some near where chamberlain's company b was located on little round top. it is a wooded area with a stone wall so it is possible. also may be some in devil's den due to the huge rock formations. but they are probably so weathered now it would not be work having. i imagine there are some bullets in the tree trunks at all of those locations as well.

i am reading a field guide on gettysburg that was written by a retired colonel and a certified battlefield guide. it has 37 stops listed in chronological order over 3 days. we may cherry pick some stops from there but i know we are definitely going to see devil's den, culp's hill, little round top, and we are going to walk pickett's charge up to the bloody angle and the high water mark where some of pickett's men breached the union line only to be blown away by a cannon.

on this trip we are also spending 3 days in DC and plan to see as much of the history stuff as we can while there. 
    Go to Fords Theater if you can, it’s free. It’s a crazy experience to go in there and walk right up to the spot where Lincoln was assassinated. Across the street afterwards where he eventually passed away. Do the museum/ranger tour if possible. Love the history out there, lived in Alexandria, VA for 8 years, did all the battlefields, etc.. Beautiful out there…
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Attaway77 said:
    brianlux said:

Go to Fords Theater if you can, it’s free. It’s a crazy experience to go in there and walk right up to the spot where Lincoln was assassinated. Across the street afterwards where he eventually passed away. Do the museum/ranger tour if possible. Love the history out there, lived in Alexandria, VA for 8 years, did all the battlefields, etc.. Beautiful out there…
    yes! we talked about that but we are not sure if they are open. covid restrictions may limit some of the indoor things we want to do. we figured there is plenty of outdoor things in DC to see so if we are unable to get in to some of the museums or historic sites we can always see the outdoor things. i want to go to the museum of medicine but not sure if we will have time. there are supposed to be some amazing things to see in there. 

i am sure it was beautiful in virginia. i want to see some of those battlefields at some point as well. maybe i could have seen them by now if i had not spent the last 25 years chasing pearl jam around this country, haha.