Pearl Jam Radio = new speakers/set up?

phungiphungi Posts: 641
edited May 2010 in The Porch
After a few days of listening to PJ Radio on the iMac in my office, I realized I needed external speakers...

Did a lot of research, and ended up buying a set of these and the improvement is amazing.

I did notice that the sound quality of PJ Radio (128 kbps, 44.100 kHz) is well below other streaming radio stations through iTunes (e.g., streaming at 128 kbps as well as 160 kbps) but I am not complaining!

Anyone else upgrade their system?
37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    phungi wrote:
    After a few days of listening to PJ Radio on the iMac in my office, I realized I needed external speakers...

Did a lot of research, and ended up buying a set of these and the improvement is amazing.

I did notice that the sound quality of PJ Radio (128 kbps, 44.100 kHz) is well below other streaming radio stations through iTunes (e.g., streaming at 128 kbps as well as 160 kbps) but I am not complaining!

Anyone else upgrade their system?
    I was just thinking of picking up that very pair! You're happy with them?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I bought this system and am very happy with it.

http://store.high-techoffice.com/klprthx21pea.html
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    benjs wrote:

Love them... I was looking at a lot of different options (studio reference monitors, powered speakers, USB speakers) and settled on these because they are powered and I can take them home/on the road, plug in an iPod/Guitar... not sure if they are the BEST speakers ever, but compared to the tiny, tinny built-ins they are a friggin dream... I also happen to be running them off a Firewire audio AMP but they sound great on their own.
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    phungi wrote:
    benjs wrote:

Love them... I was looking at a lot of different options (studio reference monitors, powered speakers, USB speakers) and settled on these because they are powered and I can take them home/on the road, plug in an iPod/Guitar... not sure if they are the BEST speakers ever, but compared to the tiny, tinny built-ins they are a friggin dream... I also happen to be running them off a Firewire audio AMP but they sound great on their own.
    Yeah, seems to me the only reviews they get are positive ones. Also - did you work 'em in yet? Apparently it's been suggested that you should leave them running for about 24 hours or so, which should clear up the sounds a little bit.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    benjs wrote:
    ...did you work 'em in yet? Apparently it's been suggested that you should leave them running for about 24 hours or so, which should clear up the sounds a little bit.

I have not run them for 24-hours straight, but all day for 8-hours while at work... didn't see anything in the manual or online about a 24-hour break-in, but they sound great