classic 30 speaker ?'s

ski4ski4 Posts: 261
edited May 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have googled a lot of sites about what speakers work well with a peavey classic 30.
seems the most popular are the weber blue and also vintage 30's.

most of the people that are writting these things up have done some significant mods to the circuits however. also they are more older bluesy style players taste wise.

just curious if anyone that is similar in musical tastes to me has done anything with thier classic 30 . and what worked out well in getting the tone to be a tad less harsh and full.

i play mostly with a mexi strat that has some upgraded seymour duncans classic stacks i think they were called. no plans to do any real circuit mods to the amp.

thanks
"The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HMMM, That's sort of tuff. I honestly go with Weber, just because of my experience with them, and the fact they are made in the USA, and really great quality. The Vintage 30 would be made in China, or something like that. Now I don't mean to slam Celestion. I own a G12H30 and a Vintage 30.

What tubes are you running?

MIG will pipe in, I'm sure he has all the details in both speakers to be honest.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    hmmm can't recall what tubes i last put in . ill have to check when i get home.
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    i prefer the vintage 30s. they provide for great clean tones and break up fairly easy and you don't have to kill it with huge volume to get it to break up. i also like the fact that they are very midrangey, not real trebly like my cabs that have eminence or other celestion speakers.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    how is the bass in the vintage 30's
    do you find it is tight or messy
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    ski4 wrote:
    how is the bass in the vintage 30's
    do you find it is tight or messy
    it depends on different factors.... i use vintage '70s marshall jmp amps and les paul customs. i have my bass dimed and my treble at about 2 and my mids at about 3 or 4 and i get a nice tight bass response. as a rhythm player, bass response is important to me. i am not using high gain amps or hotrodded pickups or anything, but i get a good bass response out of it. when i use my '94 matchless clubman i get the same response. don't get me wrong, i can make it sound loose and muddy if i wanted to, but you can get pretty much any sound you want out of them. i just like them because of their versatility and they do not break up as easily as a 25 watt greenback or anything, but you do not have to push them to make them sound great.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Vintage 30 is about as transparent a speaker as possible for a guitar amp. Good midrange focus (which is where the guitar's frequency range primarily lies) with tight low-end and clear (but not harsh) treble. It's clean and clear, but overdrives nicely. Not great for metal, and probably not the best for pure clean tones, but it's great for that middle ground that covers 80% of guitar players.

I love all of the Weber speakers I've ever owned, so I recommend them generally. I don't know if you were looking at an alnico or ceramic Blue Dog. Ted's descriptions of his speakers are VERY reliable, and his products are very consistent, so feel free to poke around on the website to see what appeals to you.

What kind of tone are you aiming for? If you reference PJ, it helps to indicate an era/album/tour for reference (e.g. Ed's tone on the Yield tour; Stone's tone on Versus album, etc), but feel free to earmark other players' tone.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Thanks guys. Not really looking for any one particular tone. But if I had to say one, I recently like what I hear from mike. This tour especially. I just hate the harshness of the stock speaker peavey set up. It's not the worst thing I ever heard. I just think there is room to clean it up some
    Is the stock speaker a Sheffield or a Blue Marvel?
    blue marvel
    Really, anything's an upgrade over a Blue Marvel. What a terrible speaker.

I'd say the Vintage 30 is your safe bet. Definitely worth the money, you will hear the improvement immediately, it will keep your amp's resale value high, and if it turns out you don't like it, you can sell the speaker for most of what you paid for it in the first place. Personally, I think you'll be happy with it.

If you're worried about cost, Eminence has a speaker called the Governor, which is sort of their version of a V30. I have one in one of my cabs, so I have some experience with it. I'd say the V30 is better, but not by much.
    thank you fellas. i tend to trust the judgement here a little more than some random site hopping.

i think way back when, mccready, you turned me on to the classic stacks in my fender too?

off to sam ash!