Man fights for life after eating a slug!!!

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100513/tod ... 0a197.html

An Australian man has been left in a critical condition after eating a slug for a dare. Skip related content

The 21-year-old from Sydney contracted a disease called rat lungworm which is a rare form of meningitis, according to Australian national broadcaster ABC.

The incident has led to health officials warning of the dangers of eating raw gastropods, or slugs and snails, which carry the parasitic worm.

The disease causes the brain and spinal cord to swell and can be fatal.

However, Dr Jeremy McAnulty from New South Wales Health said most people recover from the illness because the body's immune system can get rid of it.

It cannot be transferred from person to person.

The larvae of the parasite is only found in rodents' faeces, which many snails and slugs eat and then become infected.

Dr McAnulty advised anyone planning to eat the slippery creatures to wash them thoroughly first.

The rat lungworm is mainly found in Asia and the Pacific Islands.
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    should have cooked it on the barbie first.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    that dummy.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    haha I just read this. What a dick!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I love me some gastropods
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    That pussy. I eat my rodent shit straight up, not hidden inside some delicious slug.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Shit is it only the stupid things aussie blokes do that seem to make the news?? This, the wheelie bin rider, the dude who got bitten by a snake or spider or freaken whatever it was....it's always the tools who make the headlines. :roll: ;)
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    So when are we gonna see you in the headlines Sagittarius? Maybe you can do something at
    a PJ show..throw a show or somthin'
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Theovl316 wrote:
    So when are we gonna see you in the headlines Sagittarius? Maybe you can do something at

Leave the show right where it is, thanks.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Theovl316 wrote:

Leave the show right where it is, thanks.

Well...I'm a tad up the evolutionary chain...I may be aussie, but I'm not a bloke! :lol: And yes, leave the show where it is...I can only do gumby stuff :oops: ...but let's not get into that hey! ;)
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    He is a 21 year old male.......He ate the slug for a dare.........
    us Aussies like a DARE!
    hehehe.........I reckon it's one of the most awesome things I've heard on the news for a long time.
    Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi oi oi! :lol:

It's awesome because alot of research will come from this.......hand the bloke a stubbie :P
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i ate a worm once for a pack of snokes
    what can i say, i was young
    i think i was 36 ;)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    You know the rhyme, slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails that's what little boys are made of. Wonder if he was planning on a snail and a puppy dog tail as well, but didn't quite make it.
    I think his brain swelling could do nothing but help.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I will keep this in mind whenever I think I want to eat a slug.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Damn--reminds me of this story.....

http://anyguey.guanabee.com/2010/04/man-dies-eel-anus/

A Chinese man has died after an eel that was inserted in his rectum gnawed away at his intestine. :shock:

The 59 year-old chef–whose name has not been disclosed– was taken to a Sischuan hospital with severe anal bleeding, abdominal pain. Local doctors, unable to figure out what was causing the symptoms obtained permission from the family to conduct a laparotomy– a surgical incision into the abdominal wall done to examine the abdominal organs.

Once inside, the doctors found a 50cm long, dead Asian swamp eel stuck in the man’s rectal region. The slithery fish had bit it’s way through the intestine. The man was then taken to the intensive care unit, but died ten days later from internal bleeding and sepsis.

But how did the eel end up in the man’s anus? According to reports, the chef had consumed copious amounts of eel the day before, but doctors couldn’t figure out how a live eel ended up in his rectum. Eventually, his friends confessed to have inserted the live eel up his anus as a joke after the man passed out from drinking heavily. Man, with friends like tho
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    silly cow.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Fa Christs sake!! what happened to just swallowing a live goldfish on a dare!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Lizard wrote:

A Chinese man has died after an eel that was inserted in his rectum gnawed away at his intestine. :shock:

The 59 year-old chef–whose name has not been disclosed– was taken to a Sischuan hospital with severe anal bleeding, abdominal pain. Local doctors, unable to figure out what was causing the symptoms obtained permission from the family to conduct a laparotomy– a surgical incision into the abdominal wall done to examine the abdominal organs.

Once inside, the doctors found a 50cm long, dead Asian swamp eel stuck in the man’s rectal region. The slithery fish had bit it’s way through the intestine. The man was then taken to the intensive care unit, but died ten days later from internal bleeding and sepsis.

But how did the eel end up in the man’s anus? According to reports, the chef had consumed copious amounts of eel the day before, but doctors couldn’t figure out how a live eel ended up in his rectum. Eventually, his friends confessed to have inserted the live eel up his anus as a joke after the man passed out from drinking heavily. Man, with friends like tho

This is why i refuse to drink to excess in Asian swamps.
    Lizard wrote:

if someone stuffed an eel up my ass i think i'd beat them to death with said eel.
    if i was dying from said anal eel i think i'd have to shit on the terrible individual before dying.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Lizard wrote:

I don't know about you, Dissidentman, but I will be sure to sit with my back to the wall at the preparty at the Harp. You never know who's packing Asian swamp eels these days. Best to be on guard.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Lizard wrote:

I don't know about you, Dissidentman, but I will be sure to sit with my back to the wall at the preparty at the Harp. You never know who's packing Asian swamp eels these days. Best to be on guard.

Maybe I'll duct tape my ass cheeks together ala Breakfast Club
    [

Maybe I'll duct tape my ass cheeks together ala Breakfast Club[/quote]

Constant vigilance. Smart move.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    you guys are pretty humorous.
    btw...
    how hard or easy would it be to slither an eel up a drunkened Scotsman's ass?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I thought Scotland invented eels?
    I thought Scotland invented eels?
    i'm sure they did..
    no doubt about it.
    but does the average Scotsmen wear said eels up their asses?
    interesting, yes/no?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I'm intrigued and awaiting a response from an actual Scottish person.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980

Rumor has it that a Scot will only use an anal eel if the preceding gerbil gets stuck.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    i happen to know that Scotland invented gerbils.
    weird deal.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

do you want the response to come with the impending and foreboding threat of violence? for that is the Scottish way!! ;);)